Crazy Motorcycle Road Trip - Itinerary

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Well, I'm going to go for it and have a trip that will result in surely many stories to tell for years to come. I think at this point I have a pretty well determined. See below:

July 26th: Williamsport, PA -> Chicago, IL
July 27th: Chicago, IL -> Oshkosh, WI (EAA AirVenture - awesome airshow)
July 28th: Oshkosh, WI -> Ames, IA -> Lincoln, NE
July 29th: Lincoln, NE -> Fort Collins, CO
July 30th: Fort Collins, CO -> Denver, CO -> Salt Lake City, UT
July 31st: Salt Lake City, UT -> Boise, ID
August 1st: Boise, ID -> San Francisco, CA
August 3nd: San Francisco, CA -> Los Angeles, CA (Pacific Coast Highway)
August 4th: Los Angeles, CA -> Phoenix, AZ
August 5th: Phoenix, AZ -> Grand Canyon -> Albuquerque, NM
August 6th: Albuquerque, NM -> Dallas, TX
August 7th: Dallas, TX -> Missouri Somewhere
August 8th: Missouri Somewhere -> Jasper, IN
August 9th: Jasper, IN -> Williamsport, PA

And the map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...979898,-91.582031&spn=48.033109,76.640625&z=4

I need to figure out where in Missouri exactly I'm stopping, and unless anyone is in Salt Lake City, I'll be looking for a Motel 6. I think I have people I can buy dinner in exchange for a couch for in the rest of the places, though. :)

Additionally, while in San Francisco, I want to take a friend flying. If anyone can suggest where I can rent a plane to do so (most of my time is in a 172 or a PA-28), I would greatly appreciate it.

Of course, stopping for lunch and getting dinner with folks is on the list!

If anyone wants to grab their bike and ride along for part of the trip, that is certainly welcome, as well.

I'll have room for you in Lincoln. It is very unlikely that I'll be able to do much riding as that doesn't fall into a weekend for me and it's a bad time for me to be taking vacation (Jason has a new baby on the way).

I appreciate the room in Lincoln! No worries on the riding, I understand other commitments.

If it works out for you, we could get a group together Sunday evening for dinner in OSH.

Barring unexpected circumstances, Dallas is covered here at my house (where my wife is already inoculated to strangers arriving on motorcycles, talking about airplanes and spending the night).

Steve, I like the idea of a Sunday night dinner group at Osh. I don't have arrangements for that night, though, so I may head back to Chicago (or over to Ames) if need be. I really didn't intend on spending a lot of time at Osh, mainly going to check out my favorite booth to see what it looks like.

Many thanks, Spike! I think I have Dallas taken care of for a place to sleep, but I would certainly enjoy a dinner with the Dallas crowd!

We can surely find somewhere for you here in Ames. We *should* have a bed in the guest room by then. As long as we're not at OSH then, you're welcome here unless Tony or Matt has better accommodations. :)

If Ames turns out to be a pass-through day, let me know and I'll take a long lunch and get you fat-and-happy at Hickory Park (you'll need a nap on the FBO couch afterwards). Or, if Tony can make it, I'm sure Dublin Bay will be the spot. ;)

ill do my best to be around when you're here Ted.

Seems like you are making Denver a brunch stop. So far I seem to have that day off so it would be great to meet you somewhere. If you are really planning to retrace your route up to Fort Collins on the way to Salt Lake City I would suggest taking Hwy 285 to Laramie instead of I-25 to Cheyenne. That's a nice shortcut when it's not snowing. If you are planning to go to Salt Lake from Denver you might either take I-70 to Hwy 40 through Steamboat Springs or I-70 to Hwy 6 at Green River, UT. Either one of these routes will be more interesting than I-80 through southern Wyoming.

Chris and Tony, I hope to see you both in Ames!

Mari, that Google route isn't quite accurate. What I had hoped to do was take a ride down by you for lunch, and then take I-70 over to SLC. I-70 is far prettier. Last time I drove on it I thought "Gee, I want to do this on a motorcycle someday."

However, I was hoping to stop in and see you for lunch, after having spent the night with my friend in Fort Collins. Hopefully you'll still have that day off!

Steve, I like the idea of a Sunday night dinner group at Osh. I don't have arrangements for that night, though, so I may head back to Chicago (or over to Ames) if need be. I really didn't intend on spending a lot of time at Osh, mainly going to check out my favorite booth to see what it looks like.

Uh, Ted... The show doesn't start 'til Monday!

Many thanks, Spike! I think I have Dallas taken care of for a place to sleep, but I would certainly enjoy a dinner with the Dallas crowd!

I guarantee you'll enjoy a dinner with the Dallas crowd. :yes:

If Ames turns out to be a pass-through day, let me know and I'll take a long lunch and get you fat-and-happy at Hickory Park (you'll need a nap on the FBO couch afterwards). Or, if Tony can make it, I'm sure Dublin Bay will be the spot. ;)

And both have some excellent food. :yes:

Mari, that Google route isn't quite accurate. What I had hoped to do was take a ride down by you for lunch, and then take I-70 over to SLC. I-70 is far prettier. Last time I drove on it I thought "Gee, I want to do this on a motorcycle someday."

Uh, Ted, I-70 doesn't go to SLC. ;)

You're darn tootin' it's a very pretty drive though. What you want to do is take I-70 west from Denver all the way to Salina, UT and get on US 50 up to I-15 to SLC. It'll be exit 56 off I-70 IIRC. There's gas at both ends of US 50 (as in, where it hits the interstates) but nothing in between.

Uh, Ted... The show doesn't start 'til Monday!

If I can get to the booths on Sunday, that's all I care about. I wanted to go visit my favorite company's booth.

Uh, Ted, I-70 doesn't go to SLC. ;)

You're darn tootin' it's a very pretty drive though. What you want to do is take I-70 west from Denver all the way to Salina, UT and get on US 50 up to I-15 to SLC. It'll be exit 56 off I-70 IIRC. There's gas at both ends of US 50 (as in, where it hits the interstates) but nothing in between.

Oh c'mon, Kent, I know I-70 doesn't go to SLC! :)

But I-70 is way prettier than I-80, so I was going to do the route as you suggested. I think I pass Spanish Fork along the way, that's a neat little town.

You know you've got a place to stay here in the SW burbs of Chicago.

And in the SF area, I've used Kareem Fahmi's outfit, California Airways (www.california-airways.com), in Hayward, and been pleased.

Umm...Just noticed a possible date conflict here, man.

I'm leaving for New Hampshire on 8/6/2008...the day you arrive.

Good of you to bring this back up, I ought to let y'all know.

New schedule!

Saturday: Leaving for Osh via Canadia.

Sometime next week: Returning from Osh via Chicago.

Rest of the trip has been cancelled/postponed until I can find 3 weeks to do it, and hopefully my girlfriend can come, too.

I'm leaving for New Hampshire on 8/6/2008...the day you arrive.

Nick,

What brings you to NH? How long are you going to be here?
Let me know if you want to meet up and do lunch or something?

Nick,

What brings you to NH? How long are you going to be here?
Let me know if you want to meet up and do lunch or something?

I'll be there for a wedding. I might take you up on it, Adam, depending on my schedule. Lots of stuff planned, but I'm sure I can find a gap in there!

Back