Crazy Caribbean Airport

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I ran across a YouTube video and then a Wikipedia article about a very short runway in the Caribbean on the island of Saba. The Wikipedia article has good photos showing the island. It's basically a volcano sticking out of the water that has room for a 1,300-ft runway with cliffs on each end.

The airport is called the Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport.

Yup, that's short! I can only hope that they've got pretty steady strong winds blowing straight down the runway! And if you overrun, I sure hope you're at flying speed! Do they have lines for tailhooks?:)

My mom is going there this spring. I'm very jealous, though once I landed there I'd probably want to take off and do it again.

That airport looks like fun! I want to go!

I can see myself living there.

I can see myself living there.
I can't see you there at all.

Saba is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and is very much like its European counterpart. While it is small, it values many European things that you are on record as disliking.

For instance I do not think Applebees has a restaurant on the island ;)

Last edited:
Wow! That is what Beta on turboprops was made for!

I can't see you there at all.

Saba is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and is very much like its European counterpart. While it is small, it values many European things that you are on record as disliking.

For instance I do not think Applebees has a restaurant on the island ;)

I haven't eaten at one of those in over a month.

First off, it GETS MADE FOR YOU! Second, DON'T KVETCH!:rofl:

Actually, nothing gets made for me at home. So any place else would be better. Unless I have a wife that I am unaware of who isn't doing her job.

I've been there on a dive trip. It's a 5 sq. mi. island that stands 3000' out of the water at it's highest peak. It's where the original King Kong movie was filmed. And it's the home to a medical school that, among other things, specializes in hyperbaric medicine. We stayed at the Willard's Inn there with a balcony off our room that was 2500' straight down to the ocean. The diving there is all pinnacle diving and deep though there is one place where, in about 70' of water, you can stick your hand down in the sand and it's very warm from the volcanic activity. Saba's a cool place that I would go back to again.

Landing there wasn't nearly as exciting as taking off. The wheels roll off the end of the runway with a slight sink before the climb.

Actually, nothing gets made for me at home. So any place else would be better. Unless I have a wife that I am unaware of who isn't doing her job.
Ahhh... I thought you was dissing Dizz! Dat ain't allowed!:D:blowingkisses: Sorry!

I ran across a YouTube video and then a Wikipedia article about a very short runway in the Caribbean on the island of Saba. The Wikipedia article has good photos showing the island. It's basically a volcano sticking out of the water that has room for a 1,300-ft runway with cliffs on each end.

The airport is called the Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport.

Can you imagine being a passenger on the right side of the plane, seeing nothing but cliff and water when he turns around and back-taxis? Yikes.

Back