Crash

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Some student crashed one of the school's 152's N49396. It sounds like he pulled up too fast on a short field and stalled into the ground. This is not the first incident with this student though, Once there was another aircraft frantically trying to get off the runway, but obviously wasn't going to make it though that didn't stop this student from continuing his final approach. When he was about 6 feet off the ground, about to hit the other aircraft someone in the FBO jumped on UNICOM and yelled "Cessna GO AROUND!" Especially after this new incident, I don't believe he should fly due to judgment errors.

http://www.medfordcentralrecord.com....content=/MED/Home/TopStoryList_Story_2749451

Haven't read the story yet, but I've logged quite a few hours in a C152 registration N49395. Weird.

Not so weird. They apply N number in sequence at the factory.

I always liked that my old number -50 was the prototype 235 in all of Piper's pictures and literature.

Austin:

A few things:

1) Wait to pass judgment till you really know what happened. Hearsay or what someone else told you is notoriously unreliable.

2) The Article says the kid was a licensed pilot not a student

3) The reporting was horrible and never believe what you read in the press without verification. see #2 above.

Fly Safe!!

Austin:

A few things:

1) Wait to pass judgment till you really know what happened. Hearsay or what someone else told you is notoriously unreliable.

2) The Article says the kid was a licensed pilot not a student

3) The reporting was horrible and never believe what you read in the press without verification. see #2 above.

Fly Safe!!
Adam,
I certainly agree with points 1 and 3, but 2 is open to some debate as to its correctness. Remember on the 8710 when you're asked if you already have a pilot certificate when you're going for your PP you say YES because the student pilot certificate is an FAA pilot certificate. If we excuse the normal certificate/license mixup (sorry EdFred), it could be considered accurate even if he was, in fact, a student pilot.

You're being a bit hasty Austin. Let the dust settle first. This guy could have just had a couple of bad close ones.

Now when the local media or anyone else Googles for info on that accident and punches in the N-number, they'll wind up finding this thread.

To loose one airplane is unfortunate. To loose two is downright carelessness.

Hmm, this plane seemed to have a similar accident previously... Poor plane

NTSB Identification: BFO86LA003 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 29525.
Accident occurred Saturday, October 12, 1985 in STEVENSVILLE, MD
Aircraft: CESSNA 152, registration: N49396
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
ACCORDING TO THE STUDENT PLT, APPROXIMATELY ONE-THIRD DOWN THE RWY HE FLARED TOO HIGH, AND THE ACFT BOUNCED AND BECAME AIRBORNE AGAIN. THE PLT DECIDED TO NOT ATTEMPT A GO-AROUND, AND THE ACFT CONTACTED THE RWY AGAIN. ON THE FINAL BOUNCE, THE NOSE GEAR COLLAPSED AND THE ACFT SKIDDED APPROXIMATELY 100 FEET LEFT OF THE RWY CENTERLINE BEFORE COMING TO REST.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

FLARE..IMPROPER..PILOT IN COMMAND
MANEUVER..IMPROPER..PILOT IN COMMAND

Back