Crash with fatality

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
This is really close to home. You may recall a pilot that had a (AA1A I think there called), crashed two winters ago tipping it over with minimal damage. Brake locked up I think was the cause he said. FAA made him do a 709? or something flight to get his license back. I watched him practice and also some of the things he would do with the plane just before he took the ride. I told the A&P he is just going to crash again. He passed the ride and two weeks later crashed again on TO claiming fuel starvation with full tanks. No fuel was found at the site (Home strip). Last year he bought an experimental so he could just work on it himself and did not have to listen to us as far as how things had to be fixed.

Today he crashed trying to get back to the strip after the engine sputtered and maybe quit. Stalled more than likely 300 yds short of the strip. Plenty of places to get down. A 172 that had taken off from his strip quit and landed safely in the same area almost exactly. Was not even an accident just an off airport landing in a swampy area.

It is really sad but there is nothing you can do for someone like this. All this did was give more fuel for closing the airport in town. I wanted to take my son up flying, but now his wife is going to be even more opposed to it. I will see if I can find out how to find it in the data base, but I do not know how long it takes to get there.

Dan

It's not yet reported in the FAA preliminary data. Perhaps tomorrow.

Even worse

http://www.burnettcountysentinel.co...der_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=8

If the link does not work, he was taxiing up and down the runway for 15 min and the engine was missing. He decided to take off any way. Could not climb turned back to land, stalled and crashed. The road that you see is the end of the runway but to the south he almost made it back but would have never turned tight enough to line back up he would have had to land more than halfway down the runway.

Just two months ago a 172 took off from the same runway engine started running ruff he landed straight a head in the swamp. no damage to the plane at all. The recovery crew acctually started it up and was going to try and fly it out. (It did not run good enough).

All the pilot had to do is just land straight a head and would have landed in the same spot as the 172. This is what I figured would happen. I saw him before think for some reason it was going to run better if he could just get it in the air. (the AA1A)

Dan

As you note, it ain't just the individual pilot who suffers when the crash happens, it's the entire aviation community. So think about this the next time you see someone doing stupid stuff that will eventually kill him/her and you're trying to decide whether or not to report him/her to the FSDO.

The FAA just did a check ride on him and cleared him. No matter how much anyone complains if they clear you to fly...

I went out to the site. He never made it far past the end of the runway. The road you see is past the site and the runway. In other words the runway stops before the road and the crash site is on the same side. It is 100 yds off to the side right at the end of the runway. He must have started to turn early. It looks to me like he was turning right over the road in at least 45 to 60 deg bank. He had a chance to just land on the road because he was lined up with it 1 sec before the crash all he had to do was stop turning. Crash is 100' from the road. I don't think it matters, the last crash had his girlfriend in the plane. At least this time no one else was hurt.

Dan

As you note, it ain't just the individual pilot who suffers when the crash happens, it's the entire aviation community. So think about this the next time you see someone doing stupid stuff that will eventually kill him/her and you're trying to decide whether or not to report him/her to the FSDO.

I've pondered over that. What happens when you do report?

I've pondered over that. What happens when you do report?

Well, in this case from Dan's last post:

"The FAA just did a check ride on him and cleared him. No matter how much anyone complains if they clear you to fly..."

I think the FAA's response depends heavily on the attitude of the FAA person you contact and likely on whether or not you were the only "reporter"
of a particular pilot's misdeeds. I would expect that sans hard evidence of a serious violation the most typical response to a single report would be for the FAA to sit down with the pilot and discuss what was reported.

For the family....yes. It doesn't seem like this fellow was contributing much to our hobby/profession and in some ways he hurt it because of his brazen stupidity. I'm not normally one to malign the dead alone, but this tops even the three drunk guys in the plane at Bullhead City who had the smarts to get a designated driver to take them to the airport, but not enough sense to not try to fly.

For the family....yes. It doesn't seem like this fellow was contributing much to our hobby/profession and in some ways he hurt it because of his brazen stupidity. I'm not normally one to malign the dead alone, but this tops even the three drunk guys in the plane at Bullhead City who had the smarts to get a designated driver to take them to the airport, but not enough sense to not try to fly.
ARGHHH!!!!!! :frown2: :frown2: :frown2: :mad3: :mad3: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Yeah, even I was confused by my smilies on re-reading it. Your story about folks getting a designated driver to take them to the airplane to go fly kind of set me off. That sort of stupidity should be punishable be something worse than death.

Back