Crash on Connecticut

Nope, and its my home state where I will spend a week starting this upcoming Saturday. Im sure to get grilled on it.

This one had an ugly finish.

C182 headed for Long Island. Pilot (also a Air Traffic Controller) radioed Danbury that he was having oil pressure trouble and would set down on a soccer field. He clipped the trees and crashed on fire. Bodies unrecognizable by the time they put it out.

MSmith said:
This one had an ugly finish.

C182 headed for Long Island. Pilot (also a Air Traffic Controller) radioed Danbury that he was having oil pressure trouble and would set down on a soccer field. He clipped the trees and crashed on fire. Bodies unrecognizable by the time they put it out.
Below are the links to the cover photo and stories in Newsday. It was a couple from Wading River, husband was an air traffic controller at FRG as well as a pilot. It looks like they were circling above a school complex that included a high school, middle school, and elementary school, hoping to land in the field. There must have been children in the field....the pilot decided to land elsewhere so as not to endanger the children. Very sad.

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/

http://www.newsday.com/news/printed...791may24,0,3035524.story?coll=ny-linews-print

http://www.newsday.com/news/printed...3790may24,0,142749.story?coll=ny-linews-print

The big fact to look for in this one might be, were there children in the area. It (The wreckage) didnt seem too far from the field. If there were kids then they might have just said screw it and see you on the other side honey not to endanger the younglings.

Can you imagine the bad pub GA would have if they survived a controlled crash landing but endangered (or worse) school children? That might have been worse than any ADIZ violation.

I have some info on this accident for anyone interested. The FAA inspector involved with the investigation told me that the #2 main bearing failed. The pilot had reported that oil pressure dropped. The main bearing was stuck in a position that didn't allow oil to flow through the holes and lubricate the crankshaft.

The airplane was overtime on TBO.

Also, there was a fence in the way of his landing in the field.

Toby said:
I have some info on this accident for anyone interested. The FAA inspector involved with the investigation told me that the #2 main bearing failed. The pilot had reported that oil pressure dropped. The main bearing was stuck in a position that didn't allow oil to flow through the holes and lubricate the crankshaft.

Thanks for the update

Re: Crash on Connecticut-- ?? for Tom D.

Toby said:
The pilot had reported that oil pressure dropped. The main bearing was stuck in a position that didn't allow oil to flow through the holes and lubricate the crankshaft.

Sounds like a spun (rotated) main bearing. AFaIK, on an engine with lots of time on it this is usually the result of insufficient tension on the cylinder hold down bolts that go through the crankcase. Comments, Tom D?

Toby said:

If you've got an emergency landing in a short area, a fence is actually your friend. The typically will absorb your energy a lot nicer than say a brick wall or telephone pole. It'll tear up everything pretty good, but it may help you survive.

Toby said:
There must have been children in the field....the pilot decided to land elsewhere so as not to endanger the children. Very sad.

Very sad indeed. An honorable man.

Back