Crash at Travis today

I didn't see this video posted here yet. It appears around the two minute mark that the tail gets lifted up a bit then comes crashing back down as the fire intensifies near the cockpit.
Rest In Peace Eddie.
http://youtu.be/nYnWR8cprgA

Just watched the video above. You can see one of the guys on the field in yellow repeatedly going, "Where the hell are the fire trucks!!!??" The end of the video is really just pathetic. Really?? a SWAT team??! They weren't prepared for, oh I don't know, something like a airplane mishap, but if Al Qaeda had shown up, they were ready to spring down on any terrorists like a bear trap!

Seriously Air Force, which is a more likely tragedy at an air show, an airplane crash, or an outbreak of terrorists?:mad2:

Just watch. The AF will blame the response on Sequester/DoD cuts.

You can bet your ass on that.....

And, they WILL get additional funding for all the latest, greatest toys... and STILL be ineffective...:mad2::mad2::mad2:......:mad:

Yeah gotta admit, that response was pathetic. Didn't even hear sirens until around 2 minutes after the accident. Not to mention his support team holding the ribbon just stood there.

Saw ya many times at air shows Eddie. One of the best around. RIP sir.

Just watch. The AF will blame the response on Sequester/DoD cuts.

Technically they'd be correct. When you spend more money on X than Y, and that's the priority demanded by Congress, you probably get more X than Y.

Not trying to SZ the thread. Just pointing out the obvious. If enough people are annoyed by the priorities, they can be changed.

Technically they'd be correct. When you spend more money on X than Y, and that's the priority demanded by Congress, you probably get more X than Y.

Not trying to SZ the thread. Just pointing out the obvious. If enough people are annoyed by the priorities, they can be changed.

Yeah but it's not like they didn't have the fire trucks or the personnel, they just weren't ready to go or there was a failure to inform them timely of the crash if they didn't see it. My experience has been to see fire crews suited up hanging out at their rigs on the tarmac, or some location with a direct shot to the field during active demonstrations.

Yeah but it's not like they didn't have the fire trucks or the personnel, they just weren't ready to go or there was a failure to inform them timely of the crash if they didn't see it. My experience has been to see fire crews suited up hanging out at their rigs on the tarmac, or some location with a direct shot to the field during active demonstrations.

Weren't at last year's crashes. Weren't at Reno. Weren't at this one. Weren't in GJT when I was there to see the Blues last.

"If you do what you always do, you'll get what you've always gotten."

People make fun of NASCAR and rednecks, but they'd have had 20 guys blasting that thing with multiple extinguishers in seconds. They actually learn from their mistakes.

People make fun of NASCAR and rednecks, but they'd have had 20 guys blasting that thing with multiple extinguishers in seconds. They actually learn from their mistakes.

You're right about NASCAR.

That's the part that sometimes amazes me about the human condition. Watching those guys on the flight line walk leisurely and only slightly toward the wreck before it started really burning blows me away. Yes, I know....scene safety and all that. They were wearing shorts....etc. But if they had made an effort, they might have had a brief shot at pulling him out before the fire spread.

I'd like to think I would have been running toward the wreck, but then again, I remember Gann's description of standing on the ramp watching the C-47 burn in India and being paralyzed. Very peculiar.

Weren't at last year's crashes. Weren't at Reno. Weren't at this one. Weren't in GJT when I was there to see the Blues last.

"If you do what you always do, you'll get what you've always gotten."

I didn't get the memo that somebody peed in your Wheaties this morning.

I'd like to think I would have been running toward the wreck, but then again, I remember Gann's description of standing on the ramp watching the C-47 burn in India and being paralyzed. Very peculiar.

Very honest introspection of ones own response to such a situation. None of us know how we are going to react till faced with it.

Nope. Long slow deaths suck. But dieing because you screwed up, or something broke at work/play is not something to celebrate.

Meh, whatever. To each their own. At 80 years old, I would consider what you're pointing at, a difference without distinction. I rather go the fun negligent way than be a graceful dying sheep, rotting on the inside in a cold facility because my family and friends are sensitive about my absence, even though I would have already left in spirt by virtue of being infirm and unable to conduct my life to my own accord in the first place.

I've seen a crash and did the run thing. It was just after an airshow in New Braunfels and some kids in a 172 seemed to be hot dogging and spun out of a steep climb after takeoff. Did a quarter-second double take when I saw gasoline pouring out and kept going. Pilot was unconscious and died a few days later, copilot was dead on impact, rear seat survived. It's not pretty, but it's worth doing. I had started flight training that week. :eek:

Back