Crash at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

qbynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Qbynewbie
A pilot was killed yesterday when the plane he was flying crashed at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in NY. The pilot killed in the crash has been confirmed as Vinnie Nasta. He was a friend of Diana's and Toby's and, evidently, a very skilled pilot. :(

http://www2.timesreview.com/NR/Stories/T081808_nasta_den

Riverhead H.S. teacher killed in plane crash

Vincent Nasta perished during air show performance

Riverhead High School art teacher Vincent Nasta was killed in a plane crash Sunday afternoon during an air show at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate New York.

Mr. Nasta, a licensed pilot since 1985 and a commercial flight instructor, often performed in air shows at the Rhinebeck aviation museum on weekends.

The incident occurred Sunday shortly after 4 p.m., according to the Duchess County Sheriff’s office, when the replica World War I era French biplane he was piloting in a mock dogfight during a show went down near the aerodrome. An eyewitness at the show reported that the plane went into a spin and crashed behind some trees beyond the performance area, according to a report in The Poughkeepsie Journal.

Mr. Nasta was a popular art teacher at the high school, where he taught computer graphics and advanced placement studio art.

“This is great loss for Riverhead High School,” Riverhead schools superintendent Diane Scricca said in an interview Monday morning. “Mr. Nasta was a real gem, a consummate professional, dedicated to his kids, believing that every kid can achieve at a high level and putting the effort behind it to get it done,” she said. “We at Riverhead mourn his loss and our condolences go to his family.”

He is survived by his wife, Kathleen. The couple lived in Wading River.

In an article in The News-Review last month about teachers’ unusual summer jobs, Mr. Nasta spoke of his love of aviation and his passion for life.

“In aviation you really have to do things well. ‘Almost’ is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades,” Mr. Nasta said. “I love doing this stuff and I love teaching. One of the things I tell the kids is, find something you love to do and be passionate about it. Practice at it and try to be good at it. Don’t be a spectator.”

The cause of the crash is under investigation, a spokesperson for the Duchess County Sheriff said Monday.

Vincent%20Nasta_ViewSize.jpg

Thanks for posting this Brian. And thanks for talking with me. This is hard to process.

Diana & Toby- my condolances. Sad to hear about this- I liked my trips to ORA.

Vinny was my aerobatics instructor for 10 months at Brookhaven Airport on Long Island, and beyond that the pilot I trusted and admired most, the man whose name is in my logbook more than any other, a dispenser of aerodynamic wisdom, an articulator of technique, someone who cared about my safety and decisions and proficiency. Who would not charge me for a flight review. Who would ask me at times, when we were heading out to the bay in the Decathlon, if I could see the rainbow in the clouds -- even though he knew I could not (color-blind), but kept asking, feeling sorry I couldn't.

He taught spin and tailwheel seminars, was a safety rep for the FSDO and the founder and head of the Brookhaven Airport Users Group. The hole he leaves is vast.

:( :( :(

The only time I went to Rhinebeck I'm sure I was less than 10 years old, but I still remember the WWI skits and mock dogfights. I've always meant to go back again as an adult.

So sorry to hear of the loss of another aviator and to each of you who knew him I send a special thought that you will remember him always in a happy way!

From Newsday, Long Island's largest newspaper:

Wading River pilot killed in upstate air show
BY JOSEPH MALLIA | joseph.mallia@newsday.com
2:08 PM EDT, August 18, 2008

A Riverhead High School art teacher and pilot died Sunday after his replica biplane nose-dived during a mock dogfight in a Hudson Valley air show.

The plane crash-landed and burst into flames, witnesses said.

Vincent Nasta, 47, of Wading River, was flying a World War I-era single-engine replica of a French plane. The 1917 Neiuport 24 crashed about 300 yards from the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.

Nasta had "a passion for flying," Riverhead High School principal Robert Zimbler said Monday.

High school staff and faculty were in mourning Monday for Nasta, a veteran pilot and flight instructor, who was alone in the plane.

"He was such a sweetheart. One in a million," Zimbler said.

Nasta also illustrated children's books, including "The Moon of the Winter Bird" and "Plane Song". He often volunteered to fly organs to people awaiting transplants, Riverhead school officials said.

It was clear from the moment of impact that there was no chance Nasta could survive, witnesses said. A man who was playing softball nearby, Jim Rushmore, 30, described the accident to the Poughkeepsie Journal. "The plane went across the field and the engine died and we saw it nose-dive. It was a huge crash. In a few minutes, we smelled the burning field and saw smoke in the woods," the witness said.

The Federal Aviation Administration is assisting the National Transportation Safety Board in an investigation.

Zimbler sent a letter to the high school faculty Monday.

"The Riverhead High School Family and District lost a beloved faculty member," the principal said.

"The students, faculty, and staff of this district admired and respected Vinny Nasta . . . Everything he did was for the benefit of the students of this school," Zimbler said.

"He loved his job and worked everyday to see the students of this school succeed... He will be missed by us all."

Zimbler added, "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Last edited:
Wow what a loss to Aviation and to education. He sounds like a person who just had so much passion that he was compelled to spread it around.

I know what it's like to lose an instructor and someone you admire for their flying skills to an aviation accident. You start to doubt your skills and if they can go that way.... who am I to be flying? I finally came to the relisation that is the risk we take for our passion. I choise that risk the first time I flew but it's just harder when that risk has a face you know and admire. I still leave N55CW as my Avatar in rememrance of my instructor Geno and as a reminder to always be as safe as possible and do my best to manage the risk, because no matter how good you are... it will always be there.

Good thought to Toby, Diana, his family and students.

Missa

OH, man.

Toby, Diana, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Aviation is such a small community to start with, it's much more painful when you know someone so well. Even harder when he was giving so much back to aviation by performing at Old Rhinebeck.

When I lived up near Poughkeepsie, I'd go up to Rhinebeck occasionally. It was always an interesting place to hang out.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Toby and Diana,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in knowing that Vinny will live forever in our memory. I saw him performing at Old Rhinebeck and can say that he brought laughter and admiration to my heart. I really didn't know the kind of educator he was in his day job. Knowing it now makes the pain worst.

Gil

Very say and no words can describe the loss. I remember going to Old Rinebeck seeing the passion of aviation perform and educate during the 80's

John J

I didn't know Mr. Nasta, but I'm sure I've seen him fly at ORA more than once. Very sad news.

I think this is the only fatal crash ever there, despite years of tense moments and near-disasters with all sorts of odd kites.

It's a terrible and bewildering piece of news- the "dogfights" there are fun and exciting, but I've never seen anyone do anything foolish or even intense with those machines.

I'm not surprised to hear from those who knew him that he was a top-shelf aviator and educator; I'm willing to bet this was just "one of those things" that could get the better of any pilot.

My heartfelt sympathy to his family, friends, students and colleagues... and despite this, I hope the fun and education continues at ORA for many years.

Toby & Diana,
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like, from your postings and the articles in the papers, like he was a special man, beloved by his students and the community. He will be sorely missed, but well remembered.

Wow.
I've talked with him on the phone, and he seemed like a really great guy.
This is really really sad.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Diana and Toby.

It is very sad to lose an aviation mentor. Very, very sad indeed, as we have trusted them with our lives. Indeed mine saved my bacon at least once.... and that time, it was just wise advice.

They are held in such high regard that upon the retirement of mine, 36 once junior officers made the trek from across the country to hold his retirement party, as an O-6. Two of them had made it into the admiralty.

It's a crushing loss, Toby....as here is a man who held your life in his hands, and this will not go away. Rather it will occupy a somewhat fond, tender spot therein for all hte days we have memory.

Wow Toby I remember you speaking about him from time to time. Was he the one who you were going to fly with in the Cub to the Fly BQ? Guys I am so very sorry for your loss.

All of us here at Mid Island Air Service will miss Vinny and all the wonderful things that he has done for us. Vinny was a great man, with a wonderful outlook on life. One of the most respected pilots in New York (maybe even the country for that matter). He will be missed.

To the family and friends of Pilot V.Nasta: We were at the airshow in Rhinebeck. We are truly so very very sorry for the loss of the pilot. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Our memories are of a truly beautiful day, gorgeous sunshine. Mr Nasta taxied up the runway, waving and smiling at the crowd before he took off. God bess his wife, his family, his friends, his coworkers and his students.
Farkas Family.

Very sorry for your loss, Vinny was someone whose legacy will forever live on. I also watched him perform at Rhinebeck many many times as a small kid and will never forget the incredible performance he and his colleagues put on. His spirit will live on, hopefully we may all embrace it.

Best,
Jason

Wow...just wow. I sit here at work with misty eyes from reading not only about this man's tragic death, but the love and respect he garnered from those that knew him.

This seems a truly tragic loss to the aviation community, and to the community at large.

This came to me from one of the pilots at HWV. I liked it and thought I'd share with you.

Attachments

• Vinny.jpg
    Vinny.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 700
Hiding in the clouds, through which we all love to dance, are all of the pilots who have gone before us. The sorrow we feel at the passing of a fellow aviator can be tempered with the knowledge that now the music of the angels has one more in the audience.

This came to me from one of the pilots at HWV. I liked it and thought I'd share with you.

That is a nice memorial! I am so sorry to hear of this. It's tough enough when we in the aviation community lose a pilot, MUCH tougher when it's a friend as well.

Gary

I flew with Vinny just once, last month. He was recommended to me by Toby, and we spent the winter touching base waiting for good wx. I wanted to do a little unusual attitude recovery work and had the ride of my life with Vinny. With only a few phone calls and a hour of instruction, I came away with an appreciation for Vinny that I've felt for no other pilot I've ever met. It will sound trite to say I'll miss him, but the lessons I learned from him in such a short time will influence my flying forever.

Jerry gave me permission to post the attached photo taken on 7/28/08, when he flew with Vinny. His enthusiastic report of the flight was a joy to receive. I'm so glad it happened!

The Extra you see belongs to Mike Mancuso. It's the same plane I took my very first flight in, as a passenger, five years ago, with Mike.

Attachments

• Aerobatics_7_28_08 011.jpg
    Aerobatics_7_28_08 011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 798
Vinny was truly one in a million. His original instructor said last night that to know Vinny for 10 minutes, you know him for a lifetime. Not that he talked a lot (he was soft-spoken in my opinion) but in just about every conversation you would have with him, he would impart some wisdom in what he said.

The thing with Vinny was that he knew how lucky he was to be able to fly the aircraft he did each time he flew them. This is even after 23+ years in the air. He appreciated every flight from the Cessna 150 to the P-40 Warhawk to the Boeing Stearman.

I hope I will be that appreciative throughout my aviation endeavors as well.

Vinny was truly one in a million. His original instructor said last night that to know Vinny for 10 minutes, you know him for a lifetime. Not that he talked a lot (he was soft-spoken in my opinion) but in just about every conversation you would have with him, he would impart some wisdom in what he said.

The thing with Vinny was that he knew how lucky he was to be able to fly the aircraft he did each time he flew them. This is even after 23+ years in the air. He appreciated every flight from the Cessna 150 to the P-40 Warhawk to the Boeing Stearman.

I hope I will be that appreciative throughout my aviation endeavors as well.
Marco,

Who was his original instructor?

I wonder if he was going to fly the P-40 in the Labor Day airshow. He was getting ready for something with the Warbirds guys here.

His name is Bill but I didn't get his last name and I'm not sure where he is local. I'm not not aware of what Vinny's plans were on Labor Day but I know he flew the P-40 regularly so I imagine it was a good possibility he would have flown it that day.

Not sure if this link was shared in this thread before but here's the info on the services as well as a guestbook and photos: http://www.vinnynasta.com

His name is Bill but I didn't get his last name and I'm not sure where he is local. I'm not not aware of what Vinny's plans were on Labor Day but I know he flew the P-40 regularly so I imagine it was a good possibility he would have flown it that day.

Not sure if this link was shared in this thread before but here's the info on the services as well as a guestbook and photos: http://www.vinnynasta.com

What a touching tribute. He was clearly a man whose life made a real difference in the lives of many people.

His flight instructors name was Bill Jensen.
Vinny was a true gentleman. This was a heartbreaking, tragic loss in our aviation community. We will miss him greatly. I had worked with him out at HWV. I'm sorry I never took the flight he invited me to go on a few years ago. :(

His flight instructors name was Bill Jensen.
Vinny was a true gentleman. This was a heartbreaking, tragic loss in our aviation community. We will miss him greatly. I had worked with him out at HWV. I'm sorry I never took the flight he invited me to go on a few years ago. :(

Hello, have we met?

There were several hundred people at the funeral on Mon. -- so many they couldn't all fit into the church. Many high school students, graduates, pilots and friends. At the visiting times on both days over the weekend, the line stretched out the door and went for three blocks. A testament to just how loved he was, and how much of an inspiration to people.

I bought a bunch of Hershey bars -- but they tasted better when he gave me half of his!

Hello, have we met?

There were several hundred people at the funeral on Mon. -- so many they couldn't all fit into the church. Many high school students, graduates, pilots and friends. At the visiting times on both days over the weekend, the line stretched out the door and went for three blocks. A testament to just how loved he was, and how much of an inspiration to people.

I bought a bunch of Hershey bars -- but they tasted better when he gave me half of his!

Hi Toby, it's Jim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back