Crash at Catfish plantation..

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
Is there a thread on this yet? If not anyone heard anything about this.. within the pilot community of course. I have seen the news reports already.

Darrell:

These are all tragic. I know more than I wish to. Got several calls Saturday evening because it was a 58 Baron from Dallas and several folks were worried about me <g> My deepest sympathy to for the families and friends of those involved.

McGeehees is a 2,500 foot strip with a dip in the middle and a road. Right next to the lake. Several accidents have occurred there. Grass strip, some ruts, cow walked out in front of one twin awhile back. Takes good piloting to get in and out; would never do it in my plane.

Four folks in a 58 Baron with a strip that may have been a bit soft from recent rain; other issues. We'll see. One person killed from Arlington, two hospitalized (now released) and one passenger wasn't injured.

Let's wait for the accident report. Preliminary focus seems to be the landing gear. Let's see if the runway environment played any role.

Best,

Dave

I have been told that it was, in fact, a P-Baron; can you confirm?

Is there any way, Dave, that you would consent to fly your 58P into McGehee's?

Celia's all over me to take her there, and I have said that I *might* consider it on a cool and calm day, in a lightly-loaded Cherokee.

Might.

Having overflown it a time or three, I am not all that eager.

There was also a gear-up at Hondo over the weekend - the plane was carrying Boy Scouts on an aviation-day event.

No injuries, but a picture of a Mooney in the paper on Sunday.

Supposedly a problem with the gear-down locking mechanism.

Back