Crash at 52F

DrMack

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DrMack
No details yet. Only news is that a small plane crashed just south of the airport and that Careflight has been dispatched.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/small-plane-crashes-in-denton-county.html/

Update 3:20 p.m.: The Department of Public Safety is reporting that the pilot of a small airplane that crashed just south of the Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoke on Saturday died on impact.

The crash happened at around 1:22 p.m.

The pilot was flying a Piper Arrow PA-28R, which is a single-engine plane that seats four. Authorities said there was one other person in the plane at the time of the wreck. That passenger was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth with serious injuries.

Authorities were unable to immediately release the identities of the pilot or the passenger.

DPS also was able to release more details about how the crash happened. Trooper Lonny Haschel said the pilot was taking off from the airport’s runway “and, for reasons as yet undetermined, lost altitude and crashed into a wooded area south of the runway.”

DPS troopers are on the scene waiting for Federal Aviation Administration investigators to arrive. The FAA will be responsible for determining the cause of the crash.

Original: At least one person has been hospitalized in a small plane crash just south of Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoke.

Firefighters from Denton and Roanoke are still on the scene trying to process information. Lt. Doug Parks of the Roanoke Fire Department said the plane that crashed was a small, single-engine general aviation plane.

It’s not immediately clear what caused the crash, but the plane seems to have come to the ground near the runway. Parks said the wreckage is in a wooded area about a half a mile from the southern tip of the runway.

The number of people in the plane and the extent of their injuries could not be immediately confirmed. Parks said that one patient has been transported by helicopter to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been called the scene to investigate.

That's terrible, definitely thoughts and prayers for their families tonight.

I've been sitting here reviewing all the safety procedures and performance data for the t182t as I embark on a breakfast flight tomorrow morning with just my 2 kids on their second flight. Wife going opposite direction and she said go for it!

Unfortunately terrible events like this just make me want to read and read some more so no detail is over looked.

Unfortunately terrible events like this just make me want to read and read some more so no detail is over looked.

It's good that these reports help keep you diligent, but please remember that every accident in the US is reported here. There were 10's of thousands of flights today that went very well.

My thoughts go out to the family of those two people. Sorry to hear that you lost a friend Tango.

Turns out he was apparently an elder and godly leader at the church that some good "old friends" of mine attend. Very sad day.

Ryan

There will be a short memorial of his friends and pilots at MarcAir's hangar Tuesday morning at 10am...

Turns out he was apparently an elder and godly leader at the church that some good "old friends" of mine attend. Very sad day.

Ryan

Yes sir... he went to Africa for humanitarian mission work often. A 16000 hour military pilot. Good man, he'll be missed.

One consolation for him and the MarcAir family (they're all very faith based) was that Charlie was able to see, talk to, and pray with his co-workers / friends / fellow church members before the helicopter arrived, as they were first on scene to help him.

Yes sir... he went to Africa for humanitarian mission work often. A 16000 hour military pilot. Good man, he'll be missed.

One consolation for him and the MarcAir family (they're all very faith based) was that Charlie was able to see, talk to, and pray with his co-workers / friends / fellow church members before the helicopter arrived, as they were first on scene to help him.

A powerful thing to know. Glory, glory. Amen.

---

Sorry for the loss, wish I had known the man.

We're starting an initiative to have the airport renamed... Charles Yates Field, Yates Field, or Yates Memorial Field... Ideas being bantered around. I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of the honor at 52F.

We're starting an initiative to have the airport renamed... Charles Yates Field, Yates Field, or Yates Memorial Field... Ideas being bantered around. I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of the honor at 52F.

While that's an incredible honor, and I hope it happens, please don't pick "Yates Memorial Field".

His life should be celebrated, not his death. And on top of that, the last thing people should be thinking about when they land there, is a fatality that happened at that airport.

Anytime you add "memorial" to the name of something, I think of there last moments, and he deserves more then that.

Agreed, Mafoo. Current preference is "Northwest Regional / Yates Field." Preserves the history, honors the aviator.

While that's an incredible honor, and I hope it happens, please don't pick "Yates Memorial Field".

His life should be celebrated, not his death. And on top of that, the last thing people should be thinking about when they land there, is a fatality that happened at that airport.

Anytime you add "memorial" to the name of something, I think of there last moments, and he deserves more then that.

+ 1

I really don't like thinking about death when flying. Same goes for naming hospitals. I've always cringe when I see a "memorial hospital.". That doesn't instill confidence in a patient pulling up to the emergency room entrance. At least it wouldn't if that patient was me.

Condolences to all affected.

Carlin had a great routine about how institutions are named. IIRC, one of his illustrations was "Our Lady of Sorrows Bar & Grill."

+ 1

I really don't like thinking about death when flying. Same goes for naming hospitals. I've always cringe when I see a "memorial hospital.". That doesn't instill confidence in a patient pulling up to the emergency room entrance. At least it wouldn't if that patient was me.

Condolences to all affected.

Back