Cracks in Wing Skins

Now that we all know the Aztruck has some "issues" I would like to help you out by buying the plane that has fatigue cracks in it... My offer is 2,465.28.. delievered to Jackson Hole and it must have the tanks topped off before I pay you.:yesnod::yesnod::yikes::D...

Jus kiddin......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would be willing pay 2,466.00 even.:)

Ben ( :stirpot: ) Haas.

I already offered him around $4000 - which I figured to be about the value of the aluminum. Although I probably calculated that grossly in his favor.

Wow! For something that turned out to be so benign, it sure caused a lot of hair and feathers to fly...

But it was great entertainment...:popcorn: Thanx, guys!

I already offered him around $4000 - which I figured to be about the value of the aluminum. Although I probably calculated that grossly in his favor.

For the aluminum you're probably right, IME the scrappers hate airframes and give a minimum for them.

$4001.00. Let the bidding continue...:wink2:

Now that we all know the Aztruck has some "issues" I would like to help you out by buying the plane that has fatigue cracks in it... My offer is 2,465.28.. delievered to Jackson Hole and it must have the tanks topped off before I pay you.:yesnod::yesnod::yikes::D...

Jus kiddin......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would be willing pay 2,466.00 even.:)

Ben ( :stirpot: ) Haas.

Believe me, I've gotten plenty of other low-ball offers! I've responded to all of them by raising the price.

Ben, I'll sell it to you for $120,000, and as I coast into KJAC on final, I expect both engines to shut off from fuel starvation. :D

Ted, thats great news!

I sure thought so! Since the aircraft isn't worth much, it wasn't going to be worth spending the money on a major repair.

It is a good airplane that has served me well, and will serve its next owner well. I'm really not concerned about any additional devaluing from this repair - it's already a 43 year-old plane with 10,000 hours on it. It's about as devalued as it'll get.

So glad to hear this, Ted. We had CFI workshop on limitations and we talked about turbulence and airspeed and structures and stuff and I mentioned the AzTruck. The folks will be glad to know that it was skins and not structure.

what is the repair?

1-Jack airplane up.

2- Remove tires.

3- Install tires on another airframe.

4- Lower jacks on the other airframe.

5- Return to service.

:D:wink2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ben ( AKA Carnack ) Haas

1-Jack airplane up.

2- Remove tires.

3- Install tires on another airframe.

4- Lower jacks on the other airframe.

5- Return to service.

:D:wink2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ben ( AKA Carnack ) Haas

Add cement blocks under the old airframe! :D

So glad to hear this, Ted. We had CFI workshop on limitations and we talked about turbulence and airspeed and structures and stuff and I mentioned the AzTruck. The folks will be glad to know that it was skins and not structure.

I've only heard of one instance of an AzTruck wing spar being declared unairworthy, and that seemed to be due to corrosion.

It is no secret that I've flown the AzTruck in some seriously bad turbulence (although no worse than any other freight dog has flown in). Danos was there for some of the worst of it (we had very messy cages that day). In this case, the wing skin over the course of 40 years flexed enough times to crack the aluminum.

I'd look in there really carefully when the skin is off. One broken thing often signals that something else nearby is damaged.

Back