Cracked ribs and flying?

Darsh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darsh
Today my buddies and I did our annual Turkey Bowl, and I took a head to the chest and cracked a rib. I was prescribed Norco for pain, but likely won't take them because advil and ice seems to help the pain adequately. I was just wondering if the crack in my rib would have any effect on flying, and if I should ground myself?

I'd think that flapping your arms would be very painful and that you might want to lay off until it doesn't hurt as much.

Today my buddies and I did our annual Turkey Bowl, and I took a head to the chest and cracked a rib. I was prescribed Norco for pain, but likely won't take them because advil and ice seems to help the pain adequately. I was just wondering if the crack in my rib would have any effect on flying, and if I should ground myself?

Hope it's better soon. I'd think crawling in and out of the plane, loading bags, pulling the plane in and out of the hangar (even with a tow bar) would be the worst part, assuming nothing unsual happens during the flight that requires any significant effort.

I actually lol'd at this, and it hurt you jerk. :lol:

I'm reminded what my surgeon said to me after surgery. I asked when I could drive, and his answer was "When you feel like it. And you won't feel like it for weeks!"

He was right.

Chuck Yeager had 3 broken ribs when he broke the sound barrier. Unless you plan on exceeding VNE a whole bunch I would let pain be your determining factor. No narcotics while PIC.

another thought: How do you think the ribs will feel if it gets bumpy? Are you ok driving on bumpy roads?

Update: Went for a follow up appt, Turns out I separated the cartilage from the bone. Not sure if that affects anything though.

Update: Went for a follow up appt, Turns out I separated the cartilage from the bone. Not sure if that affects anything though.

It actually hurt worse than a broken rib in my case. I've had both, at different times.

I fracturered an upper rib about a week and a half ago in a freak skateboarding accident. It still hurts pretty bad, hurts to laugh/cough/sneeze/run etc. But no problem whatsoever flying - didn't even notice the pain.

If you do have to push the plane into a space though - you might want to think about asking for help. Pushing the tow bar was the only thing that bothered me, and ducking under the plane for the preflight.

I fracturered an upper rib about a week and a half ago in a freak skateboarding accident. It still hurts pretty bad, hurts to laugh/cough/sneeze/run etc. But no problem whatsoever flying - didn't even notice the pain.

If you do have to push the plane into a space though - you might want to think about asking for help. Pushing the tow bar was the only thing that bothered me, and ducking under the plane for the preflight.

Thanks for the help man. I figure the nerves or perhaps the adrenaline from flying makes you forget about the pain. I have a dual flight tomorrow doing simple maneuvers such as chandelles, eights on pylons, and lazy eights so I'll try that to kind of take a pulse of how flying with this goes.

This gives me a lot of relief. Had an accident in Thailand need to cut my trip early due to my pain. My ticket has been changed already. Was trying to decide if I needed to see the doctor one more time. He already told me I had no damage to any of my other organs. But, he insist I get another set of xray before I leave. Now I know it is safe to travel. Thank you

Thread revival has been popular recently. So many members no longer posting. Like old, inactive GA planes sitting on a ramp.

It can be done. I flew a whole month after the cops fractured a few of mine. Its painful but it can be done.

Yeah ... and now I am left wondering what constitutes a “freak” skateboarding accident. To me there cannot be any such thing. You are standing on a foot long board with wheels. If you aren’t expecting it to slide from under you at all times, then any accident is your fault.

The world may never know.

Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier with a couple of broken ribs
worse part was crawling/bending into the opening from the b29

starts~ 1:25

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back