Cowling repairs

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
What's all this grey stuff? dried out, cracking, hard as concrete, and paint flying off in sheets.

Attachments

• slowdowner cowl 002 [800x600].jpg
    slowdowner cowl 002 [800x600].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 100
looks like BondDo of some sort.

And another thing. Who inell did this!? first pic shows outside crack, second is back side of same crack, note doubler, third is back side of same crack with my finger removed. There's un sanded paint behind the patch, and the doubler was added after the patch was made!!
Cheeze-O-Pete! If yer gonna mix up resin, apply a patch, and attempt to add a doubler, why not prep the area properly first.

Attachments

• slowdowner cowl 003 [800x600].jpg
    slowdowner cowl 003 [800x600].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 73
  • slowdowner cowl 004 [800x600].jpg
    slowdowner cowl 004 [800x600].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 73
  • slowdowner cowl 005 [800x600].jpg
    slowdowner cowl 005 [800x600].jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 74
looks like BondDo of some sort.

Definately some kind of filler. But too hard and brittle to be run-of-the-mill bondo.
I'll be removing it tomorrow, in an attempt at making a proper repair.

Definately some kind of filler. But too hard and brittle to be run-of-the-mill bondo.

probably PC-12 compound from ACE hardware. (it's epoxy)

If you sand it, sand it wet, don't breath the dust.

I'd say scrape/chip/file/sand that crap off of there and do it right.

Stucco? :p

I once saw a 180hp Beech Musketeer Custom that had so much bondo with several coats of paint all over it, it looked like a stucco house.

I joked that they must've painted it with a roller.

Could be marine tex,much harder than bonds.

And another thing. Who inell did this!? first pic shows outside crack, second is back side of same crack, note doubler, third is back side of same crack with my finger removed. There's un sanded paint behind the patch, and the doubler was added after the patch was made!!
Cheeze-O-Pete! If yer gonna mix up resin, apply a patch, and attempt to add a doubler, why not prep the area properly first.

When I was a kid driving cars through Imperial Auto Auction, I jumped in a yellow Camaro with paint so fresh it still smelled. When I closed the door, a 4" thick panel of bondo fell out of a dent that spanned the whole door. The wax hadn't even been removed from the paint. I just rolled down the window and held the panel of bondo in place as I drove it through the auction.:D

Why Not??

fill it again, make it all smooth and nice, Wax it really good, then use it as a plug to build a mold, and manufacture a totally new part?

your repair will some day fall out too. Bonding to old fiberglass is for the most part a temporary fix.

Why Not??

fill it again, make it all smooth and nice, Wax it really good, then use it as a plug to build a mold, and manufacture a totally new part?

your repair will some day fall out too. Bonding to old fiberglass is for the most part a temporary fix.

Bonding properly to old fiberglass is a permanent fix. Do it right, fill it and wax it and make a mold for that area. Cut the crap out, feather the edge, apply the well waxed mold, and lay up your patch in the hole.

This is why you shouldn't buy homebuilt aircraft. Anybody and their dog can work on one using any method they want - and this is what you get.

If this had been a type certified aircraft the repair would have been done by a qualified individual using approved methods and materials and properly documented in the log book.

This is why you shouldn't buy homebuilt aircraft. Anybody and their dog can work on one using any method they want - and this is what you get.

If this had been a type certified aircraft the repair would have been done by a qualified individual using approved methods and materials and properly documented in the log book.

Maybe :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would hazard to guess, that a few of them use a tad of common sense.

Last edited:
Riley did that on their Cessna 310 "Riley Rocket." Slopped Bondo all over the seams and rivets.

They did go fast, but.............

Too bad, because today they are just piles of junk.

Whatever the grey crap is, it doesn't grind, or sand worth a crap. It clogs up the disc and turns gummy.
Whoever did this repair knew nothing about working with fiberglass, or any other composite for that matter. My guess is that whoever had it done carried it to Earl Scheib, and got it done for about $50. Didn't even bother to remove the paint, much less scarf the edges. And packed glass all over the greasy aluminum parts as well.
It peeled right off nicely.

Whatever the grey crap is, it doesn't grind, or sand worth a crap. It clogs up the disc and turns gummy.
Whoever did this repair knew nothing about working with fiberglass, or any other composite for that matter. My guess is that whoever had it done carried it to Earl Scheib, and got it done for about $50. Didn't even bother to remove the paint, much less scarf the edges. And packed glass all over the greasy aluminum parts as well.
It peeled right off nicely.
Put a wire wheel in a high speed angle grinder - whatever the grey crap is, it will just evaporate. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-4-in-Crimped-Wire-Wheel-Brush-48-52-5070/100015130

The only hard part is not removing too much too fast.

Wear eye protection, it will throw wires.

What a crock!

What planet is this guy from.....? :rofl:

The pics posted earlier are labeled "slowdowner cowl". The name "slowdowner" usually refers to a Beech Sundowner. ;)

What a crock!

What planet is this guy from.....? :rofl:

KEeoyCg.png

Last edited:
Back