Cowl Plugs

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Who has cowl plugs for their airplane? What kind? Do you like them, and would you buy the same ones again? Where would/did you buy them from?

So far, it looks like Kennon makes some good ones. They go for $65 per set. Reasonable? Does anyone have the Kennon plugs?

Thanks.

Kennon. Nothing Kennon I have, including the cover the previous owner bought, has worn out.

I've got mine from Bruce's Aircraft Covers. No complains... they're plugs.

..... what Scott said, partially, except mine came through the FBO at my airport. I suspect they were done by either Kennon or Bruce's. They were an extra $10.00, but Support your FBO syndrome in effect.
(I've never seen any mice or birds in my hangar but there's been a lot of cold air of late.

HR

Who has cowl plugs for their airplane? What kind? Do you like them, and would you buy the same ones again? Where would/did you buy them from?

So far, it looks like Kennon makes some good ones. They go for $65 per set. Reasonable? Does anyone have the Kennon plugs?

Thanks.

I have the Bruce's plugs. They have held up for 5+ years and show no signs of giving up. As far as how they work, no birds have built any nests in my plane.

Got cowl plugs for C-172 when I bought it. Came from Bruce's with cover. Cover shredded a few years ago, was replaced and replacement is shredding, but original cowl plugs doing fine.

They came with little red flags on plastic poles that stick up into view from the cockpit. Removed those since the little plastic poles were beating the paint off the cowl.

Made my own for a cherokee from an old drafting table pad. Cut it out with a hole to go around the crankshaft and a velcro closure below. 4 straps that clamp under the hinged cowl openings to hold it in palce.

I use 4" thick block foam cut to fit. Still no signs after 10 years of them giving up....

Like Bruce, I made my own out of 3" thick foam cut to fit, covered them with a liquid plastic you buy at Lowes/Home Depot, total price around 10-20 bucks. You could make 3-5 pair for what the others cost.

Like Bruce, I made my own out of 3" thick foam cut to fit, covered them with a liquid plastic you buy at Lowes/Home Depot, total price around 10-20 bucks. You could make 3-5 pair for what the others cost.

Yeah but your N# isn't embroidered.:dunno: I've had both Kennon and PlaneTech. They were both good. Nod probably goes to Kennon for the fabric 'flange' to keep the plug from going all the way in. They also have a heated plug.

Check the plugs from Ground Tech -- top quality, just like their covers.

Today, I received the cowl plugs from these folks. Very nice, with rubberized edges to help keep them in. They fit nice and snug, and look pretty sharp too! (Unlike the photo, 'cuz it was taken with my phone.)

Best part is, the price was right. $15 a pair less than Kennon or Bruce's, and only 5 bucks more than the ones being sold on eBay, which don't have the tail number embroidered on 'em like these do.

They also come with a note from the shop's owner saying "Don't worry about using them in a hot engine - If you melt them, I will buy you a new set." Also has a paper copy of a relevant NTSB report. Well done!

Cool! :goofy:

Attachments

• DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 21
I have the Ground Tech as well. Cowl plugs are cowl plugs, they all work. I found the company to be good to work with. I sent my old cabin cover to them and they restitched it and put new velcro on it. Quick turnaround.

Thanks.

Kennon stuff is good. I made mine (actually had them made by an upholstry gal who owed me fo a big job I got her) and they are worth having. Don't forget the plug for the other end of the cowl though, birds and squirrels go up that way as well (seen it, cleaned and repaired the mess)h.

Check the plugs from Ground Tech -- top quality, just like their covers.

I have a Ground Tech cover, really like it and would buy again. But I wouldn't do their cowl plugs again. I like the way the Kennon has a lip to keep the plug from sliping into the cowl. Ground Tech are well made, I just like the Kennon design better. Don't know about Bruce's.

Back