Cowl Flap STC for 182, 182A??

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I've done due diligence with my reference sources and I can't come up with anybody that has converted a Cessna 182 or 182A to cowl flaps. Anybody got information superior to mine?

Thanks,

Jim

Couldn't you use other models of 182 as approved data to apply cowl flaps to the early models? The path of least resistance would point to cowl louvers to supplement cooling, although they wouldn't be adjustable in flight.

I guess my question would be...

Why?

I've flown side-by-side with a couple of C182Bs and they were no faster...

I guess my question would be...

Why?

I've flown side-by-side with a couple of C182Bs and they were no faster...

For cooling. Sacramento temperatures in the summer hover right at 100+F or so and climbing in that heat runs the needle a little too close to the red line for my comfort.

Jim

Who/what the hell is PPonk?

Jim

Google is your friend...

http://www.pponk.com

And I've never had issues with cooling. My CHTs never get above 325...350 on an extremely hot day.

No temp issues at all until my recent spate of oil temp issues that is, but I'm confident that has nothing to do with cowl flaps.

Have you gone thru your baffling with a fine tooth comb and sealed up every minute gap?

I've always wondered why people use PPonk (his company name) like its Steve Knopp's name. (Pponk is just his last name spelled backward.)

Texas Skyways would probably also know if anyone has ever needed to do it, by the way. They've shoehorned enough horsepower mods under the hoods of 182s to have a mention here also. Steve's mod is one of many.

I don't think you can ponk a straight tail...though I wouldn't swear to it...and that's an aside anyway 'cause that's not the topic at hand.

Back