COVID and hypoxia

dfw11411

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dfw11411
I had a mild case of COVID in October. Symptoms were much like bronchitis without a fever. Felt crummy for about 8 days with a slow but full recovery over the next three weeks. I'm 65 yo and I'm in reasonably good health. Had both Pfizer shots but not a booster as it was scheduled for two weeks after I tested positive. So, that's the background.

Since October I was mostly flying short hops below 8,000 MSL. In early December I flew farther and above 9,000. After about 30 minutes I felt a little odd. It was really hard to describe. I ticked off the typical symptoms of hypoxia and none seemed to fit. I just knew that something was not right with my body. I carry a pulse oximeter in my flight bag and pulled it out. 86. I immediately descended and began pulling out the cannula. A minute later I was at 98. I returned to a higher altitude, but closely monitored my stats and the O2 flow.

I saw my GP the next week and tested at 95. I should have been at 98-99. He ordered x-rays and tests as a precaution (cancer, pneumonia), but he was pretty certain that I, like most of his patients who catch COVID, would need several weeks or months to fully recover from the lung damage. He said he has a few patients who have lung damage that may be permanent.

Here's my point: I thought I had fully recovered. Consider buying a pulse oximeter (prices have dropped significantly) and check yourself at altitude. You may have unknowingly had COVID and been asymptomatic. And maybe review the warning signs for hypoxia. I'm flying with oxygen all the time now until I test at 98 or higher.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back