Courtesy Car.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Well, we had someone offer to donate a courtesy car last weekend.
1996 Nissan Maxima, with some high miles on it.

Awesome right?
Nope.
$1595 for the minimum coverage.

So, there will not be a courtesy car at 6Y9.

Thank you, sue happy america.

Would not the person driving it have insurance that will cover liabilty? Mine covers anything I drive except the deductable. Just have them provide proof of insurance?

Just a thought.

Would not the person driving it have insurance that will cover liabilty? Mine covers anything I drive except the deductable. Just have them provide proof of insurance?

Just a thought.

Not in Michigan. Can't get a plate without insurance. Vehicles have to be insured, not drivers.

Yep-$766 for the liability,$649 for the personal injury protection
Also said they needed name of pilots,drivers license# they're insurance company info in advance of use or coverage would be void.:frown2:Also wanted my own personal info just in case.:nono:
Sorry gang we tried but we're going to have to stick with bikes for now.

There are very few times that I honestly hate America, but this is one of them. I think we need a big thank you to everyone who's scammed the insurance companies through Personal Injury claims.

There are very few times that I honestly hate America, but this is one of them. I think we need a big thank you to everyone who's scammed the insurance companies through Personal Injury claims.

What really stinks is that a lot (most?) of the people that do the insurance scamming don't even pay for insurance themselves, so they never feel the impact of what they do.

Geef. I spent less than that for full coverage on a fire-breathing racing motorcycle. Thanks for trying, guys.

It would be a lot easier if we insured the drivers not the cars,then as long as you had insurance you would be covered.
Seems like they get money both ways . I have six cars ,I need to have each insured, I can only drive one at a time. Then if you have a bad record they need to raise your rates. Mich. is a no fault state ,meaning your insurance pay's for your own accident even if the other driver is at fault. If the driver's insured what difference does it make whose car you drive ??:mad2: No fault insurance was created to reduce costs by reducing lawsuits, I think by looking at what they wanted to charge for this shows the rates have not gone down.

Get creative, guys.

Donate to Town of Sidnaw, a sovereignly-immune municipality.

Ba.
Da.
Boom.

If you have to register every driver with the insurance company, couldn't you send them a list of every active pilot in the United States to teach them a lesson?

Get creative, guys.

Donate to Town of Sidnaw, a sovereignly-immune municipality.

Ba.
Da.
Boom.

Yeah Right Spike
I got the Airport because the Township and the County wouldn't take it on because it was too expensive.
We got it from the State because they didn't want it, so that about use's up all the municipalities.
Any one that wants a car to use at 6Y9 is welcome to bring one up and leave it there . I can mow around it:rolleyes:

A number of the smaller airports in colorado are now asking for proof of insurance to borrow the crew car. And others just want you to make a note in the book on the desk (with the keys) that you've got the car.

How about a courtesy quad?

I am considering a courtesy golf cart.
Honestly we can all walk around Sidnaw ,it's a half a block to the Sidnaw Mini mart and a block to the new soon to open Bill's Grill, Trails End is burned/gone. What more do we need?

I am considering a courtesy golf cart.
Honestly we can all walk around Sidnaw ,it's a half a block to the Sidnaw Mini mart and a block to the new soon to open Bill's Grill, Trails End is burned/gone. What more do we need?

courtesy walking shoes? lol

seems to me the bikes will get you anywhere you need to go.

At one airport I've been to, there's a guy who leaves his Cadillac there with the door unlocked and keys under the floormat. It's an old '80s rusted out one. Seems like a good idea if someone wanted to do that. I'm sure it doesn't follow any appropriate insurance regulations, but it sure is nifty.

How about a courtesy quad?

They're really expensive - I just sold a 10 year old Kaw 300 for $2,400!

Golf cart is the way to go. If it's electric, watch the battery condition when buying, they are expensive to replace.

Trapper John

And we wonder why some FBOs, especially in big cities, are so expensive. Courtesy cars (with associated insurance cost) first class facilities, and cities that feel they should get a chunk of the revenue.

Don't get me going!

Dave

Nick your a smart guy don't drink the insurance companies Kool Aide! They do just fine if they are hurting its usually because they have made unwise investments with their money. They get too speculative and loosed $$ but that doesn't matter cause they can just jack up your premium to pay for the difference.

For sure there are insurance scams but did you ever notice its only a scam if someone take the insurance company but its not a scam if they deny a legit claim. My partners best friend from grade school works for a Large National Insurance Company and he told us they are taught techniques to deny claims and how to wear folks out so they abandon a claim.

The sword cuts both ways.

I'd think that given its rural nature insurance in the UP would be pretty inexpensive but arguing for the insurance carrier, they can't evaluate who is going to be driving the car at any given time soooo they ahve to go with the lowest common denominator.

Ed or Brad have you consulted with other airports in MI to see what they do?

And we wonder why some FBOs, especially in big cities, are so expensive. Courtesy cars (with associated insurance cost) first class facilities, and cities that feel they should get a chunk of the revenue.

Don't get me going!

Dave
Well ya know I've got mixed feelings on this.
At 6Y9 we are about as basic as you can get ,so the cost to use it is pretty much zero for any pilot to fly in. I do the maintenence ,but I'm going to use it anyway, my burden in life so to speak.:D

On the other hand at 9D9,(a GA airport only) where I keep my plane, the whole city and county taxpayers foot the bill.(Fed money also) Except for the 50-60 pilots that use it ,it almost gets to be a pilots country club.
With budget cuts and all, some of us pilots,(few) volunteer to help with whatever needs to be done, some of the others b_t_h and complain about the snow plowing, or the grass, or about boo-koo other things and don't lift a finger,some do neither. It's no wonder many of the non flying public question why their tax dollars are being spent for the sole use of the "rich pilots"
In my opinion one of the biggest threats to GA is the pilots, we need to help more at the airports. I think this is why some are promoting user fee's.
Example: We have a pilot who has sold his business for millions, flys many days of the week for fun, yet buys fuel at other airports because it's .05 cents cheaper,complains about everything the manager does or doesn't do. While he's complaining others are flipping pancakes one sat. a month to drum up money for things like windsocks,etc.
Smaller airports are in jeopardy if pilots don't support them.
Ask what you can do to help, everybody!!!

Example: We have a pilot who has sold his business for millions, flys many days of the week for fun, yet buys fuel at other airports because it's .05 cents cheaper,complains about everything the manager does or doesn't do.

Wait a sec. What's he doing up in Michigan? That guy hangars at Wings!!

There's one (or a bunch) at every airport. And EVERYONE knows who it is.

Wait a sec. What's he doing up in Michigan? That guy hangars at Wings!!

There's one (or a bunch) at every airport. And EVERYONE knows who it is.

Yeah, but Adam does let me stay at his house during the Fly-B-Q. :rofl:

Can you just register the car to a hobo, and insure him as a regular owner?

Maybe pick an older hobo, their premiums are probably lower. :D

Can you just register the car to a hobo, and insure him as a regular owner?

Maybe pick an older hobo, their premiums are probably lower. :D
A friend of mine who flies regularly out of an FBO that has no courtesy car lets the FBO know where he keeps the keys while he is away. They are free to pass this information on to any pilot who needs a car for a couple of hours.

The local security cop stopped me once after seeing me fish around for the keys before driving off in the car. I just told him I'm a pilot and he was OK with that. I don't figure the security at 6y9 is even that curious.

A friend of mine who flies regularly out of an FBO that has no courtesy car lets the FBO know where he keeps the keys while he is away. They are free to pass this information on to any pilot who needs a car for a couple of hours.

The local security cop stopped me once after seeing me fish around for the keys before driving off in the car. I just told him I'm a pilot and he was OK with that. I don't figure the security at 6y9 is even that curious.

And when someone does something stupid like oh, pick something, guess who is ultimately responsible? No thanks.

Ask Kent about the local cops at Wings. They're not so bad if you ply them with some late-nite pizza!!

I discovered something similar in a small airport up in Maine. That's fine if the individual who owns the car is willing to take the risk (funny how non-pilots will never loan out their cars to anyone, but pilots will freely loan their cars out to people they've never met or even seen). Were I Ed, no way I'd do that. Last thing he needs is someone suing him because some idiot stole the car and crashed it into Hoppy's, or someone who borrowed it suing because the wheel fell off the car, causing the car to veer into Hoppy's.

Pity it is how things are, but at least a car is an unneeded extravagance at 6Y9. Everything one might need is within easy walking distance, with the possible exception of a telephone.

Pity it is how things are, but at least a car is an unneeded extravagance at 6Y9. Everything one might need is within easy walking distance, with the possible exception of a telephone.

If you can walk to Bill's Grill, (formerly Mom's - and closer than Trail's End) it's about 12 steps fewer to the telephone than it is to the door to get into Bill's. (The payphone is on the NE corner of Bill's)

That pay phone works! Please forgive me! Everyone said it was inoperative! I take it all back.

That pay phone works! Please forgive me! Everyone said it was inoperative! I take it all back.

Well it may have been, but it is operational as of two weeks ago.

Now that Bill's Grill opened, the phone company decided to re activate the pay phone next to his building. I had asked them to do it earlier this year , maybe that helped, but Bill's opening probably did the trick.
I think we're gaining, we lost the bar to the fire , but we gained a place to eat and a phone ( oh yeah, 1 more bike in the pilot shack too)

Back