Courtesy car use

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
What do you consider to be an acceptable time to keep a courtesy car? We have only one car here at UUV and it is used for pilots to run into town and get something to eat. Most of the time it is not gone for more than an hour, two at the most. Today we had a couple fly in and ask if they could use the car to go to a wedding. Well, 9 hours later and the car is still not back and the airport manager is about to call the police. In the mean time, three others stopped in and wanted to use the car.
I think if you are going to use the car all day, you should get a rental.

I agree, I use it for a couple hours at most. NINE is totally unreasonable IMHO.

Mark B

Two hours tops and return it with a full tank of gas.

This is my personal limit and repayment plan, too. Anything more, call a cab or rent.

NC Pilot said:
Two hours tops and return it with a full tank of gas.

Two...Maybe three hours. My problem is I can't rent a car..sometimes I can get lucky and get a courtesy car. IME..If I take a taxi it'll cost almost as much as the entire flight.

I was just offered a car at WBW after a cab was called. I asked, a courtesy car? He said no my personal truck (new dodge ram 4wd) . I said wow, that's really nice but you don't have to do that. He said no, I'm stuck here until 5:30 so take it. We were only going to be out for less then 2 hours or so, ending up only an hour and a half. He said no worry, I have your plane. We walked out to the truck and Mary commented....as she laughed...it's not our plane! All in good fun, the rental was ours to account for no matter what....but it sure sounded good.

I topped that gas monster off....it was the least i could do. Heck I put in what I would have spent with a cab or renting if Enterprise was open past noon. It worked out and I'll note it on airnav....great service and a nice bunch working at Wilkes-Barre Wyoming Valley WBW

Hi All:

It is a "courtesy" car. If you take advantage of it, then it is a "rental."

I asked to use the courtsey car at a small airport for "all day" on a Sunday. They agreed but only because the place was unattended. Anyway, weather didn't cooperate and we didn't go.

After giving it some thought, I regretted asking, and made a point to use the car "as intended." If I wan't to sight see, I'll rent.

Terry

:D

Like the others stated, I feel a courtesy car is to get you to a place for food, or a quick errand, etc. 2 hours, max. And return in better condition than you got it (ie, fill the tank, wash it if you can, clean out everyone elses trash, etc.)

Pete even fixed the door glass on one. It had fallen off the rail/track thingie.

The ONLY time we've ever taken a car for the night was when it was offered to us.

The cars will go away if the privilege is abused.

We normally tell people to limit it to an hour. If someone gets stranded, we may offer it for overnight so they can get to a hotel and back.

Sorry - I don't buy that -- twice on the ferry flight from Torrance we were offered overnight courtesy cars -- one had county plates in WV, one was a retired cop car. We bought a bunch of fuel, we were offered overnight use -- no problem. You just need to meke your intentions clear...

I was provided the courtesy car last summer for an overnight in Sheridan, WY. However, we came in after the FBO closed, and returned the car the next morning as they opened.

The 9 hours and counting for a wedding is abusing the courtesy, in my opinion. Rent a car or bum a ride, but that's downright rude to keep it out that long during the day.

I think it depends on the policy of the FBO and what local attractions there are that bring pilots into the airport. When I lived in Arizona my Son and I flew from Phoenix to Tucson and borrowed the courtesty car from an FBO to go to the Pina Air Museum for the Davis Monthan AFB boneyard tour. I had the car for 4 or 5 hours. I called the FBO ahead of time and asked them how they recommend I get to the museum from the airport, and they said I should take their car. Pilots fly in there alot for the same reason and that's one reason this particular FBO had courtesy cars.

Lee....excellent post.

True, in most places two-three hours is the MAX it should be kept. However like everything else there are always exceptions.

It does sound like, however, that this couple had a completely different set of expectations of use of of the vehicle vs. the FBO. It is often best to clarify all of the rules in advanced.

What I want to know is... How long did the person at the FBO think a wedding was gonna last? To me, "wedding" implies a fairly significant length of time.

There are some really remote or quiet airports where they do not mind, and will even encourage longer use. I will always offer to do something else, but I have been to several places where 4+hrs was not an issue.
It is usually a communication thing - the fbo need to clearly state what their expectations are, and you have to state what your needs are - and then see what is going to work for both. I have even been told to keep it overnight when I was stuck with weather somewhere. Another useful tool is - I will give them my cell phone # and say, if anyone else needs this car, 'you call and I will bring!'.
(of course some of the cars really needed to be just rolled off a steep bluff somewhere!)

flyingcheesehead said:
What I want to know is... How long did the person at the FBO think a wedding was gonna last? To me, "wedding" implies a fairly significant length of time.

The wedding was about 4 miles from the airport and the people said they would be back in a couple of hours. Ended up they had the car almost 12 hrs.

attached to key fob; "Crew car use is limited to 2 hours, unless other arrangements have been made. Crew cars kept longer that 2 hours will have $XX added to pilot's fuel ticket."

flyingcheesehead said:
The reception sounds like it lasted longer than many marraiges.

Many airports limit it to one hour at midday so the next crew can get lunch two. I always ask about this, and minimize time out. And I agree -- nine hours is beyond inconsiderate.

However, in this case, they did tell you they were going to a wedding, and when you include getting there early enough to be properly seated, the service, the drive to the reception, the wait for the couple at the reception site, the reception itself, and getting back to the airport, nine hours is not surprising. I'd say that since they told you they were going to a wedding, and you released the car anyway, this one's a push -- both sides should have been clearer on planned use and limitations.

Last edited:
I limit my use of a courtesy to <1hr unless they offer it for an overnight motel stay where I will be back first thing in the morning (carring donuts of course)

I had a guy come in sunday night as everyone was leaving Oshkosh. At about 6pm, I give our two cars out for overnight stays. These two cars were split between three groups flying in and one other guy had arranged for the hotel to pick him up. This guy in a Baron flies in, asks to be toppped off, then after paying wants a car. Our convo goes something like this:
Guy: I need a courtesy car
Me: I'm sorry, both of them are gone right now . . . here's the number of the taxi service
G: You're sure you don't have any cars?
M: Yea, some people from Oshkosh have them.
G: You see I need to go to a family reunion, it'll just be for a couple hours.
M: I'd call the taxi and have them come get you
Guy calls the taxi, apparently no one answers.
G: You're sure there's no car
M: yup, could someone you're meeting come out and get you?
G: No
M: Well I could take you, but I won't be leaving till 8.
G: I have to get there soon, are there any airport bums or anyone around that could give me a lift?
M: No, there aren't too many people that hang out around here anymore
G: There's no one else here?
M: No, I'm the only one thats works today
G: Why don't you see if the hotel will pick me up
I call the hotel, they won't come out.
G: Is there any other way for me to get there!?!?!
M: uh, enterprise is closed, so I guess I'd call the taxi again.
He storms off and I never see him again, thank god. I got ticked off when this guy comes in without arranging transportation whatsoever and then gets ****ed at me for not having a car available. Beyond that, he even checked the parking lot to make sure I wasn't lying.

Nav8tor said:
I think it depends on the policy of the FBO and what local attractions there are that bring pilots into the airport. When I lived in Arizona my Son and I flew from Phoenix to Tucson and borrowed the courtesty car from an FBO to go to the Pina Air Museum for the Davis Monthan AFB boneyard tour. I had the car for 4 or 5 hours. I called the FBO ahead of time and asked them how they recommend I get to the museum from the airport, and they said I should take their car. Pilots fly in there alot for the same reason and that's one reason this particular FBO had courtesy cars.

I'm with Lee on this. It all depends on the field. I've had some say keep it as long as you like it. But I ALWAYS TOP IT OFF.

I can't imagine taking a courtesy car for more than 2 or 3 hours. The longest I've ever taken one out was for 3 hours, but that was because I got lost in Santa Fe and spent most of that time trying to find the airport.

BTW - I refill the tanks in all cases except MillionAir and Signature. I figure my ramp fees more than make up for the gas spent.

I use Lowndes County airport in Columbus, MS to visit/pick up my youngest daughter. The FBO has two beater cars for pilots, a Saturn and a Caddy. I give them a call before take off and they'll have one of them waiting. If I'm coming in after hours they leave key where I can get to it. They're never full of gas when I pick them up, but they are when I drop them off. Avgas is a little pricey there, but they have been very accommodating when it comes to getting me a ride into town. There are two cab services in town as backup, with cars in about the same condition as the airport courtesy cars.

jangell said:
. My problem is I can't rent a car..

That is sad when you can rent an aircraft but can't rent a car. Sad.

Bill Jennings said:
That is sad when you can rent an aircraft but can't rent a car. Sad.
According to Da Mayer, anybody can rent an airplane.

tonycondon said:
or rent a respectable hotel room bill!

That part is really frustrating sometimes too. More or less I just have to look for the crappiest motel in sight. If I check about four of them..Maybe one of them will let me.

At Granbury, TX (GDJ), they have a fleet of retired police cars, and if you are coming in after they close, they'll leave the keys in the car on the floorboard.

They are very specific in admonishing you: "Please, do not put gas in the car, it is an amenity the town provides for visiting pilots."

Works, too, GDJ is my favorite fly-to dinner destination.

SCCutler said:
They are very specific in admonishing you: "Please, do not put gas in the car, it is an amenity the town provides for visiting pilots."

Wow! That sounds like a community that values the presence general aviation! B)

RotaryWingBob said:
... we were offered overnight use -- no problem. You just need to meke your intentions clear...

Agreed. The FBO knows the use pattern. If the FBO thinks an all day user will cause angst the FBO will tell you. If the FBO says, "Sure, take it all day, no problem" then I have no problem taking it for the day. State your needs, let the FBO state their needs, agree, and then hold to the agreement.

FWIW, within the example in the original post the communications broke down when the FBO didn't state a time limit for "...to a wedding...".

Frank Browne said:
Wow! That sounds like a community that values the presence general aviation! B)

'Deed it is! I once called out at night for fuel there, line guy showed in about 5 minutes, refused a tip. "It's my job, don't worry about it."

They are even talking about constructing a crosswind runway!

SCCutler said:
'Deed it is! I once called out at night for fuel there, line guy showed in about 5 minutes, refused a tip. "It's my job, don't worry about it."

They are even talking about constructing a crosswind runway!

Definitely the kind of place that rates repeat business! Thanks for posting their location Spike. :)

alaskaflyer said:
Courtesy car? What's that? :rolleyes:
Loaner dogsled in your neck of the woods ... throw the team a few bones and away you go! :goofy:

Well, I was just thinking that when flying everywhere I have, throughout the west, more airports haven't had courtesy cars, than have. Up here? Foggettaboutit.

Dean said:
What do you consider to be an acceptable time to keep a courtesy car? We have only one car here at UUV and it is used for pilots to run into town and get something to eat. Most of the time it is not gone for more than an hour, two at the most. Today we had a couple fly in and ask if they could use the car to go to a wedding. Well, 9 hours later and the car is still not back and the airport manager is about to call the police. In the mean time, three others stopped in and wanted to use the car.
I think if you are going to use the car all day, you should get a rental.

It depends. If I'm just dropping in fueling (I nearly always top up) and getting chow, or stopping to go by a local business, I figure 45min to an hr. If I need longer, I'll be clear on it ahead of time to make sure it's ok (some FBOs keep a small fleet of junkers so it's no sweat). If I'm in for emergency repairs that take more than a day, it typically turns into a loaner till I'm outta there. Once in Tennessee I was given a "loaner" 182 to go to White Industries outside KC to pick up parts for my plane. Thought that was mighty nice especially since he was very reasonable on his shop rate and allowed me to do most the work.

Last edited:
Back