Couple refuse to return 11 million dollars to bank.

What if they just said, "Please forward any further correspondence to us in our new legal residence in Costa Rica? :p

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22279275-5001021,00.html

About 8.6 mil USD, and they're just saying "The bank should have caught the error". I'm sure if either of them lost their credit card and got unauthorized charges, they'd accept the bank saying "You should've kept better tabs on your wallet", right? Right?
Ya know, oddly I bet that could work as a defense. I'm certain good discovery could produce a number of times where a customer was wronged and never made whole on a bank error.

Ya know, oddly I bet that could work as a defense. I'm certain good discovery could produce a number of times where a customer was wronged and never made whole on a bank error.

Hey! According to Monopoly Community Chest card, "BANK ERROR IN YOUR FAVOR!" is a valid source of income. :D

monopoly.jpg

Last edited:
Read the story carefully -- Mr. Ollis clearly knew he was writing checks for money he didn't have. At best, this was effectively a loan (covering an overdraft), not a gift, and the bank is entitled to call the loan. Also, while they may move to Costa Rica, their assets have been frozen and will surely stay in Oz where the bank can get them.

Guys a crook in my opinion plain and simple. He'd be prosecuted in the states for sure.

Guys a crook in my opinion plain and simple. He'd be prosecuted in the states for sure.
I agree. He's wrong in keeping the money. I just think my idea would be an interesting defense.

Back