Couple 185F upgrade questions

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey Guys,

This winter I'm looking to do a quasi panel upgrade on my 185.

I am not changing out my radios, transponder, autopilot or anything like that, mainly I want to change my original plastic "shock mount" plastic over lay cessna panel for a clean flat metal panel, delete the CD player and move a few things around for a better scan.

Current panel
image.jpg

The three additions,

One, I'd like to install fiberlites 360 LED lights on my non-LCD backlit instruments, and backlit labels and placards.

Fiberlites and backlit N number on a plane on their site
Stinson_Panel_night.jpg

http://www.superiorpaneltechnology.com/FiberLite_Advantages.htm

Two, add some late style 182 yokes on, if I can get a 337 approved, I'd like room for my PTT, AP mode/ALT/Disengage to be internal and in the yoke horn
nyfnes.jpg

And for the few AMU upgrade... I hate, I mean HATE, square cessna engine "instruments" they always suck, bounce around, get a little spot of fog in em, after my Stinson and all the planes I've flown for work I'd really like to upgrade away from those little square POS gauges.

Right now I have a JPI 700 EGT/CHT, I'd like to sell/trade in the head and get ether a JPI EDM 900 or a EI CGR30, to replace all my engine instruments, fuel instruments, RPM/MP, volts, amps, etc.

JPI
10-04857.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/ems_jpi_edm900/edm900.php

EI
10-05428.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/ems_ei/eicgr30p10-05345.php

Always been a fan and had good experience with JPI, but I'd prefer the EI due to the 3 1/8" form factor, but I'm not sure if that would be much more work and/or money seeing I already have a JPI 700 wired in and working great.

Anyone have any experience with these units, costs, time to install, functionality, etc?

Thanks,
James

Last edited:
Flown with EI CGR 30 and the EI MVP-50

Both were great. Easy to read and never a hiccup

We manufacture, engrave and finish the metal replacement panels for the Redhawks every week, they are easy to do and still cheaper than the plastic replacements you would buy from Cessna.

Let me know if we can help

Last edited:
We manufacture, engrave and finish the metal replacement panels for the Redhawks every week, they are easy to do and still cheaper than the plastic replacements you would buy from Cessna.

how about cherokee 6's?

For sure, I was going to do it myself, cardboard to plexi to aluminum, but if is reasonable I'd be very interested.

How does it work with instruments and layouts, do you have templates for Sandel EHSIs, Garmin 530s etc?

how about cherokee 6's?

We can do any plane, as long as you have the existing panels, the CAD's or even paper specs will work.

For sure, I was going to do it myself, cardboard to plexi to aluminum, but if is reasonable I'd be very interested.

How does it work with instruments and layouts, do you have templates for Sandel EHSIs, Garmin 530s etc?

You just send us your panels, and we use the dimensions for the pieces, cut out the instrument holes based on your spec (off an online image we make of the layout) and the templates that come with the instruments. Like the Garmin 530 actually comes with a billet aluminum template that we use to get the measurements within .002 to clear for the mounting screws. It's obnoxious, but fun.

We use 090 60 series aluminum for the best tolerances with the nutplates and the standoffs. We've also found that with the metal, it's better remove the shock mounts and attach the panel right to the cage. No more vibrating square instruments that you hate :)

Last edited:
Both the JPI and EDM units are impressive. A friend is anxious to upgrade his Bo panel to one of those. So much more information at a glance.

Back