Costs to build hangar?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
I know there are many variable to building a hangar from size, amenities and geographical location.

I live in northern Colorado and have local airport in small town where I work. I'm wanting to build a hangar. It will be just basic hangar maybe 50x50 with no plumbing since there is no water on that side of field.

What are some basic costs for square footage for typical hangar?
Thanks

I know there are many variable to building a hangar from size, amenities and geographical location.

I live in northern Colorado and have local airport in small town where I work. I'm wanting to build a hangar. It will be just basic hangar maybe 50x50 with no plumbing since there is no water on that side of field.

Thanks

I am in Western Wyoming.. In the last few weeks I have been pricing hangars in the 50X50 range..... 5 out of 7 bids are coming in at 22 -25 bucks a sq foot.

Thanks

Are you going to do it yourself?

You need to know the frost level...In KS you have to pour the concrete foundation 40" deep, the rest of the hangar can be 4" deep. 2500" 4" works out to 833' and 31 yards of concrete plus footings 6" wide x 36" x 200' perimeter is another 11 yards....most areas are getting $110 per yard of concrete so we are 42 yards at $110 That seems low only $5k for concrete Add 15% for steel and wood for forms..Surround it with drain tile and stone for $150 or so. Plus the cost of a 50x50 steel building, You can buy pre made kits easy to install over a weekend with 4 guys. Cost of a appropriate door, possibly a crane for a weekend.

I would shoot it with Spray Foam Insulation if I were you for another $5k....Insulation will double if not triple the number of days you can work comfortably in the hangar year round without any HVAC and if you install a heat pump or wood/oil/pellet stove you can work in it year round at an affordable price. Most people do not realize the cost of hvac in a big room is negligible as you need no mechanical work the air handler unit can set right in the corner.

Looks like you can self build for about $30k with a few friends helping a weekend or two. You can do the ground prep by yourself a few more weekends. I think 2 guys can easily form the foundation and concrete floor. Three would be nice to poor it but 2 can do it. You would cut it up into 4 quarters anyway so 25'x25' of 7 yards of concrete. You could actually pour it on different weekends, just mount some steel in the poured floors to attache to.

If you pay for it double the costs for labor and contractors commission. So build it yourself from $30, built for you $60k.

Last edited:
I am in Western Wyoming.. In the last few weeks I have been pricing hangars in the 50X50 range..... 5 out of 7 bids are coming in at 22 -25 bucks a sq foot.

Ben,

Try getting separate bids for ground work, concrete and steel erection and see if you can't save 35% without lifting finger. Also you may also want to get a separate bid from the door hangars and save even more.

I like those numbers!

I never would have considered frost level since I moved from Oklahoma. In the town where I live (steamboat) a 42x36 or close to that is asking 129k and then lease with city around $1500 additional dollars a year.

I think I could build a Taj Majal (sp) for that in Craig where I work!

I would shoot it with Spray Foam Insulation if I were you for another $5k....Insulation will double if not triple the number of days you can work comfortably in the hangar year round without any HVAC and if you install a heat pump or wood/oil/pellet stove you can work in it year round at an affordable price. Most people do not realize the cost of hvac in a big room is negligible as you need no mechanical work the air handler unit can set right in the corner.

Don't need heat, some plexiglass, black paint, 2x6s and a fan with a solar on switch does an amazing job. It was butt ass cold when I visited Ben and his garage was 70+.

Send me photos.....I am into that.

I just completely remodeled my retirement house 1700 sqft with Geothermal Heat Pump 27 EER Florida Heat pump; Spray Foam insulation in the walls/ceiling....I would add solar in a NY minute.

My heat pump will put off heat from the coil directly into the water holding tank so I do not have to heat water during summer months. I have instant on gas hot water supply for the rest of the year but considering solar hot water as well. Goal is to add enough phototiles to be zero energy home ultimately. LEED platinum rating.

Don't need heat, some plexiglass, black paint, 2x6s and a fan with a solar on switch does an amazing job. It was butt ass cold when I visited Ben and his garage was 70+.

I would love to see that also. It gets butt ass cold here also.

I will definitely not be doing any part of this on my own. I'm a danger to myself and my wallet with any tool other then small ratchet.

Send me photos.....I am into that.

I just completely remodeled my retirement house 1700 sqft with Geothermal Heat Pump 27 EER Florida Heat pump; Spray Foam insulation in the walls/ceiling....I would add solar in a NY minute.

My heat pump will put off heat from the coil directly into the water holding tank so I do not have to heat water during summer months. I have instant on gas hot water supply for the rest of the year but considering solar hot water as well. Goal is to add enough phototiles to be zero energy home ultimately. LEED platinum rating.

Too freaking simple, build a wood frame for the plexi and paint the wall black and install the frame and plexi. (It covers about 90% of the wall surface area) Drill a 6" hole at both ends and put the solar switch fan on one end and it blows HOT air back in the building on the other side.

You need to know the frost level...In KS you have to pour the concrete foundation 40" deep, the rest of the hangar can be 4" deep. 2500" 4" works out to 833' and 31 yards of concrete plus footings 6" wide x 36" x 200' perimeter is another 11 yards....most areas are getting $110 per yard of concrete so we are 42 yards at $110 That seems low only $5k for concrete Add 15% for steel and wood for forms..Surround it with drain tile and stone for $150 or so. Plus the cost of a 50x50 steel building, You can buy pre made kits easy to install over a weekend with 4 guys. Cost of a appropriate door, possibly a crane for a weekend.

Looks like you can self build for about $30k with a few friends helping a weekend or two. You can do the ground prep by yourself a few more weekends. I think 2 guys can easily form the foundation and concrete floor. Three would be nice to poor it but 2 can do it. You would cut it up into 4 quarters anyway so 25'x25' of 7 yards of concrete. You could actually pour it on different weekends, just mount some steel in the poured floors to attache to.

If you pay for it double the costs for labor and contractors commission. So build it yourself from $30, built for you $60k.

Thanks Tony this is very helpful.

Thanks Tony this is very helpful.

A month ago Craigslist wichita had a 40x60 steel frame building Free just wanted you to haul it off.

The frame is about half the cost of a steel building so even if you tossed out the siding and put new siding on it, this would save you a bundle. I can't remember were it was in KS some place close to Wichita.

The fame is bolted on the concrete so it can be unbolted and reused.

Plus the cost of a 50x50 steel building, You can buy pre made kits easy to install over a weekend with 4 guys. Cost of a appropriate door, possibly a crane for a weekend.

Tony, can you point to a metal building similar to what you're proposing above? I'd like to understand what kind of structure you're talking about - a genuine industrial type metal building or a glorified shed.

Too freaking simple, build a wood frame for the plexi and paint the wall black and install the frame and plexi. (It covers about 90% of the wall surface area) Drill a 6" hole at both ends and put the solar switch fan on one end and it blows HOT air back in the building on the other side.

I think Henning has a better picture of the heating panels.. The smaller one on my shop in on page two of 700ponderosadrive.com

it is real simple to build and basically it is a shadow box with corragated steel roofing mounted sideways and painted black. The glazing is actually 1/8 glass that comes in 4' x6' sheets.. Plexi is getting god awful expensive and the operating temp of the panels run in the 180-190 f range so that would make the plexi real flexible... It uses a Grainger 200 watt blower that puts out 500CFM... It takes 50 degree air and heats it to 190 or so in about 4 secords... Motor uses 1 cent an hour in electricity. I am heating 1200 sq ft for 6-7 cents a day...:):):)..

If you guys want more pics , let me know and I will snap some for ya.

edit:.... Here is a good pic of the panels...

Attachments

• 700 Ponderosa Dr 013.jpg
    700 Ponderosa Dr 013.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Standard around here is much higher, $85-$100 / sqft. County code requires heat in new construction. Actually they require fire suppression, which requires minimal heat to keep fire pipes from freezing.

A completed new construction 50x50 hanger resales for about $200K.

Standard around here is much higher, $85-$100 / sqft. County code requires heat in new construction. Actually they require fire suppression, which requires minimal heat to keep fire pipes from freezing.

A completed new construction 50x50 hanger resales for about $200K.

Craig, Colorado not so much. Land lease is 1/2 of 1 percent of the appraised value. They told me water isn't an option as it would be too expensive to run to location. Nice thing about common sense small community. I apparently just go look for location and submit what I want. I'm not restricted to lot size within reason or anything. There are obviously codes and I'm going to call city inspector tomorrow and visit with him. Heat is also not mandatory, actually I'm not sure what is?:dunno:

Tony, can you point to a metal building similar to what you're proposing above? I'd like to understand what kind of structure you're talking about - a genuine industrial type metal building or a glorified shed.

what is the difference?

You can pick steel frame with steel siding what you do from there is on you.
Quanset huts are much cheaper but not everyone wants that look.
Timber Framed might be limited as to size if you are going to put a 40' door on one side.

Pole barns are ok too and cheaper yet, you don't even have to pave under them.

Last edited:
Yes, there are both dry chemical and combination liquid agent/dry chemical systems that are essentially fire extinguishers with a sprinkler-style head on them. I've got them in my hangar (and am putting them in the garage).

what is the difference?

Timber Framed might be limited as to size if you are going to put a 40' door on one side.

The difference is what the local airport authority will approve. Around here, they won't approve pole barns, quanset huts, or lightweight shelters.

Yes, there are both dry chemical and combination liquid agent/dry chemical systems that are essentially fire extinguishers with a sprinkler-style head on them. I've got them in my hangar (and am putting them in the garage).

There are also dry systems that use water just like a normal building sprinkler system does.

This system has a main check valve (of sorts---it's called a "dry valve" in this application). This valve is located in the sprinkler main line immediately after it enters the building and the water stops there. On the seconadary side of the check valve there is nothing but air that's kept pressurized by a compressor. When a sprinkler head trips, the secondary side loses pressure, the compressor can't keep up (it's been properly throttled), the check valve trips, and the system is flooded with water.

With a dry system you only need a small "warm room" in one corner of the hangar to house the main service, dry valve and air compressor. This room is heated...the hangar is not.

You need an air compressor in your hangar anyway, right?

This system is quite common. One example of its use is in buildings where the sprinkler lines run through unheated attic spaces.

One cautionary statement with dry systems. Use upright heads when at all possible and avoid pendant heads at all costs. Pendant heads And the pipes leading down to them trap water and must be individually drained after a fire or accidental flooding of the system. This involved removing each individual head from the pipe. Upright heads are self draining. A properly designed system with all upright heads can be drained from one "low point" after being flooded.

Last edited:
Interesting that I should run accross this thread. I'm currently crunching the numbers to see if it's economically feasable for me to build some nested Ts with a 50x40 for me to work out of. and so far here's what I've come up with:
Site work, (grading, gravel, culvert, etc.)- I think I can come in at around $10k
Footing and slab- $50k
Erection of hangar- $45K
Land lease- $583/mo. for 20 years
And the building company has yet to contact me with a quote for the building.
So far I'm looking at about $245k and still have yet to buy the building, wire it, and plumb it.
And then after 20 years, the airport gets it, and I no longer own it.

I have about talked myself out of building. For what it's going to cost, I can pay the rent I'm paying now for thirty years plus and walk away when I want to.

And that's with electric, water, sewer, and maintenance included.

The lease to build is cheap as dirt, but then they turn around and asses your improvements, and tax the hell out of you. And you have to pay your own water, sewer, electric, etc .... it doesn't pencil out for me. Not building at the local airport. If it's your own private land, now that I can understand.

My problem is that I can't rent a hangar due to the lack of availability, and a loooonng waiting list for a T hangar. But I can't use a T anyway.

Plus the cost of a 50x50 steel building, You can buy pre made kits easy to install over a weekend with 4 guys. Cost of a appropriate door, possibly a crane for a weekend.

LOL, I would like to see a 50 X 50 metal building erected in a couple of weekends by 5 guys having no previous experience. Same for forming and pouring a 2,500 SF slab.

And "ground prep by yourself in a few more weekends"?

"So build it yourself from $30"...all for $12 a square foot? YGBSM

what is the difference?

Kyle knows what we're up against here. he's seen the "short east/west runway".

Well got my first quote from Erect-A-Tube.
And it's not cheap. Just for the building package and delivery: $131,746.00

Well got my first quote from Erect-A-Tube.
And it's not cheap. Just for the building package and delivery: $131,746.00

Divided by my rent, that's 34.3 years.

At our field, the city may purchase the improvements at the end of the 30 yr. term, or re-up, as stated in the lease. The lease is $42/month. and graduates to a total of $75/month over the term. It's not so much the lease, but the ad val taxes and insurance, water, sewer, and utilities that can eat you alive. I'm insured on my T rental, so I don't have repairs, just premiums.

Like I said, it doesn't pencil out for me, but if it's on private land where you reap the equity, and can depreciate it, and insure it cheaper, that's different. If I'm going to spend that kind of $$$$, I would prefer it on rural land. Preferably Ag-exempt. So that the ad val taxes, insurance and water/sewer are not killer and I get my building costs depreciated on that schedule. :redface:

LOL, I would like to see a 50 X 50 metal building erected in a couple of weekends by 5 guys having no previous experience. Same for forming and pouring a 2,500 SF slab.

I'm guessing he means no previous hangar or steel building experience. The slab is not something to tackle as amateurs. But erecting a hangar is damn simple. And 'erected' doesn't mean finished....or roofed..or doors installed...or wired...or plumbed......

The airport manager here taught himself how to weld by building our hangars. He, his wife and son did a great job in a short time.

I wouldn't build on a government-owned airport. For private land, there are a lot of options for someone who has some time to prepare and to build in stages.

Grading can be done by many landscaping companies, and if you can wait until the slow season, prices come WAY down. Be ready to slab as soon as the grading is done (which will be the slow season for driveway and concrete companies, too!). Put in provision for tiedown, and you're done with the first stage. You can use this while you hunt for the framing, roof and skin.

Stage 2 is the roof. You now have covered tiedown.

Stage 3 is the walls. You now have open covered tiedown, and you do the doors when you're ready.

You can hurry, and spend a lot of money. You can take it slow, and maybe get most of it free. Check craigslist, ebay, government surplus, etc. Talk to building demolition companies, especially the ones who work in industrial areas. Lots of sources.

I'm guessing he means no previous hangar or steel building experience. The slab is not something to tackle as amateurs. But erecting a hangar is damn simple. And 'erected' doesn't mean finished....or roofed..or doors installed...or wired...or plumbed......

I use the term erected to mean the basic structure completed, and by "metal building", I mean a pre-engineered structure built using best accepted practices resulting in a professional looking product. The post I commented about asserted the site work, concrete, and hangar erection could be completed with roughly 200 hours of labor. That's nonsense.

You can hurry, and spend a lot of money. You can take it slow, and maybe get most of it free. Check craigslist, ebay, government surplus, etc. Talk to building demolition companies, especially the ones who work in industrial areas. Lots of sources.

There's no doubt the project could be done on the cheap using materials acquired from the sources you mention, but again the post I referred to assumed a pre-engineered structure and used labor and cost figures that aren't close to reality.

Prep work for the site would cost about $2K. The cheapest prices in Dallas to form and pour the slab described would be about $6/SF and another $3K to form and pour the perimeter beam. That's another $18K. A 2,500 SF pre-engineered building would cost another $20K. A dirt cheap figure for erection would be $10K. Total cost, $50K. Add in OH&P and the $22-$25 per SF figure mentioned by another poster is a responsible bid.

This talk of doing it yourself over a few of weekends with unskilled help is silly. You would end up with a kluged together mess. If someone wants to tackle it, fine, but let's be realistic. What I described above is the result of approximately 375-425 hours of labor. Doing it with your friends would take twice as long. If you put in 80 hours a weekend that's over two months of commitment. When the friends bail after three weekends then what?

Last edited:
This ready to move in hangar 60'X120' could be bought for $275k, city lease for the lot is $800 per year. Concrete Wa.

Attachments

• DSCN2209.jpg
    DSCN2209.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2214.jpg
    DSCN2214.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2215.jpg
    DSCN2215.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2217.jpg
    DSCN2217.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2239.jpg
    DSCN2239.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2240.jpg
    DSCN2240.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2241.jpg
    DSCN2241.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 26
Then something went wrong here, because our hangars are as good as any I've seen, despite being built over a few weekends by unskilled workers.

More specifically I meant building a complete hangar from bare ground to finished product in roughly 200 hours with unskilled help.That's five guys working five eight hour days. The post I referred to asserted that was easily possible.

His claimed cost of $30K wouldn't cover the materials if a pre-engineered metal building was used.

Forums are great for learning about things one is interested in but uninformed opinion masquerading as qualified advice does a disservice.

More specifically I meant building a complete hangar from bare ground to finished product in roughly 200 hours with unskilled help.That's five guys working five eight hour days. The post I referred to asserted that was easily possible.

Bare ground? Check.

Unskilled help? Check.

Five guys? Nope, two guys and one woman, learning as they went along.

200 hours? Pretty close, if you're counting man-hours rather than elapsed time.

Complete hangar? Nope. FOUR complete hangars.

Bare ground? Check.

Unskilled help? Check.

Sounds about right.

You can do simple pole building garages (24x24) in about 40 hours.

The airport manager here taught himself how to weld by building our hangars.

:yikes:

:hairraise:

:eek:

:no:

I'm sorry but that is just scary.

I'm not saying someone couldn't teach themselves with a book and over the course of time develop a real good technique but to learn on the thing you are building :nono:

I think anyone with the least bit of welding knowledge and/or metallurgical processing experience and/or metal failure analysis would have to agree that doing such a thing is a scary proposition.

If it was actually done just right, then that was pure luck.

Bare ground? Check.

Unskilled help? Check.

Once again, I am talking about a 2,500 SF pre-engineered metal building with a concrete slab having a perimeter beam, not a pole barn type structure.

There's no way to accomplish this in 200 labor hours. Your assertion is also suspect, how can you pour that much concrete and erect even a simple structure in eight working days using three people? I'm not buying it.

Sounds about right.

You can do simple pole building garages (24x24) in about 40 hours.

Grade, form and pour the slab, erect the building in one ten hour day using four people? Really?

This is what I'm talking about:

15567_1274440830.jpg

I've tried to make it clear, maybe a picture will help.

Last edited:
Not to mention the Portland Cement Association recommends a minimum of 7 - 14 days cure time for a slab depending on type and it won't realize its full strength potential until at least about 28 days give or take pending on climate and type of curing used.

Back