Cost of upgrading Garmin GTX 330 to 330ES

This is interesting. I will start another thread on this point.

Last edited:
I see a lot of discussion on this, but I can't find the simple answer from someone who has gone through this.

What does it cost (approximately) to upgrade the Garmin GTX330 to 330ES? What is involved? I assume the unit is modified by Garmin, but what other modifications to the aircraft are necessary?
I have just completed this full exercise using my Garmin traded my 330 for a 330ES (Same body)
If you would like any more info please contact me.

just did mine....in addition to Garman's pound of flesh, figure about 1.5 - 3 hrs install (adding source GPS serial pair)....and SW upgrade to your 430W/530W box. It needs to be v5.3 or better.

just did mine....in addition to Garman's pound of flesh, figure about 1.5 - 3 hrs install (adding source GPS serial pair)....and SW upgrade to your 430W/530W box. It needs to be v5.3 or better.
What did Garmin charge to upgrade to ES?

It was $1500 when I did mine 4 years ago.

What did Garmin charge to upgrade to ES?

It was $1500 when I did mine 4 years ago.
I purchased a used GTX330ES unit from Sarasota for $1,800 and did the install. The check and SW update was $365.

Last edited:
Anyone need a used 330? I went with Appareo and need to off load the 330.

John,
I just upgraded my gtx330 to 330 ES. I have a stratus 2. I still see tis-A traffic on my 430W but no Tis_B traffic on my iPad(FOREFLIGHT). I have left my transponder and 430W on and walked 50 feet away with the Stratus and iPad and my plane doesn't show . Do you think my GTX330Es is configured wrong wrong?
Is this something I scan change or does it have to go back to the avionics shop?
Alan
John,
I had the same issue,but after driving in my car about 100 yards it came on line and I could see my plane w/ tail numbers. Some settings to check: on the 430w rs232 out set to ADSB+, 330es set rs232in to remote. Also you can view rs232 input (gpsd, lon, lat) in diagnostic mode on the rs232 port in. Only problem I have is that the alt on my tablet reported -1000. Should have been 100. Anyone know what -1000 indicates and thus, the next setting to address?

RWZ

Repeat the test 100 feet away and if it detects as ownship, get the ownship data as screenshots and post them. Go to more>devices>Status>ownship N number> and take two screenshots of the ownship broadcast data. An indicated value of -1000 for pressure altitude suggests the encoder is coding the altitude to be 0000 0000 0001 = -1000.

Back