Cost of rebuilding landing gear struts?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I need to get the struts on my '77 Archer rebuilt. They're sticking something fierce. Anyone know what the average cost by a A&P is to rebuilt them? Looking to get both done, and if the nose needs it, that one too.

Last edited:
I need to get the struts on my '77 Archer rebuilt. They're sticking something fierce. Anyone know what the average cost by a mechanic is to rebuilt them? Looking to get both done, and if the nose needs it, that one too.

I don't have the receipts handy, but last time we did it I think it was 1.5 to 2 hours of labor, plus the seal kit which is around $20-25. That is per gear.

That said, PA28s can be sticky and a reseal does not always fix the problem.

I don't have the receipts handy, but last time we did it I think it was 1.5 to 2 hours of labor, plus the seal kit which is around $20-25. That is per gear.

That said, PA28s can be sticky and a reseal does not always fix the problem.

I heard the sticking on PA28s are common. There is mention of wagging the tail to resettle them.

I know they need rebuilding. When lifting the wing and dropping it, I hear the binding. If after the rebuild they still stick, I'll just do tail wagging to resettle them. At least I will know they were rebuilt.

I just want to get an idea of what to expect for cost, so as to not stare at the A&P like a deer in headlights after he gives me the bill. :yikes:

That's right on the cost.

It can get MUCH higher if the chrome on the struts is too badly pitted to just change the seals. Then they need re-chroming it'll be another $800/per. Sometimes they need to be replaced, and then you'd be better off just buying a Bonanza.

Refill with Dextron3 instead of 5606.

I didn't say that.

I need to get the struts on my '77 Archer rebuilt. They're sticking something fierce. Anyone know what the average cost by a A&P is to rebuilt them? Looking to get both done, and if the nose needs it, that one too.

Do they have fluid in them?

It dpends on what parts you need. If it's just a reseal, <$200 each. If the bore or shaft surfaces are damaged, it can go much higher.

Back