Cost of changing out autopilot

DrPappy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrPappy
I am looking to purchase maybe something like an Archer II. If I found one with an autopilot unit that needed to be replaced, is that prohibitively expensive? It would be one with the same number of axis controls, so I wouldn't necessarily need to have the airframe (wing or empennage) opened up, right? I would think that if the servos & linkages were okay, an A&P would just need to switch the control unit in the cockpit, but I'm not sure. Approximately how much would something like this run?

My shop quoted me $13k. I forget which model it was, but it was an stec.

If it's a stock Century AP, find out what's wrong, then call Autopilots Central. I believe they are in Tulsa, OK and can do wonders with Legacy Centrury gear.

If it's the same make/model system, it could be relatively cheap. If it's a different make/model, they'll have to rip out all the old components and start from scratch, which means it could cost more than a new system from scratch (although you might get some allowance for trading in the old components).

So, more facts are necessary to give a reliable answer, starting with what's in there now and then what you want to put in.

I am looking to purchase maybe something like an Archer II. If I found one with an autopilot unit that needed to be replaced, is that prohibitively expensive? It would be one with the same number of axis controls, so I wouldn't necessarily need to have the airframe (wing or empennage) opened up, right? I would think that if the servos & linkages were okay, an A&P would just need to switch the control unit in the cockpit, but I'm not sure. Approximately how much would something like this run?

The only reliable answer you will get is talking directly to an avionics shop.

If it's a stock Century AP, find out what's wrong, then call Autopilots Central. I believe they are in Tulsa, OK and can do wonders with Legacy Centrury gear.

That's my plan on this Nav 200 thing... Tulsa is about a 40 mins flight for me, if that.

I second the recommendation to talk to AutoPilots Central in Tulsa. I talked to them to gain a better understanding of options related to my ap and found them to be very knowledgable.

Back