Cost for bi-annual flight review (was BFR)

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I'm in the process of getting ramped up to do (please excuse the anachronism) BFRs again after twenty or so years so damned busy I had no time for them.

Just how much for the instructor for a plain-jane BFR? Not the airplane. Not the ramp fees. Not the gasoline. JUST the CFI's fee.

Not a BFR for some old coot flying on a medical waiver for one arm, in his highly modified dual-seat Jenny, that hasn't flown in 50 years, out of JFK.

Just a small-town airport, hard surface, no twins, experimentals OK.

Just a rectorandom estimate would be fine.

Thanks,

Jim

The CFIs at my home 'drome are charging $36. Seems like a good deal to me. My first instructor charged $12 an hour!

Varies with the market and the instructor. Like just about all professionals and service providers from plumbers to landscapers to lawyers to accountants.

I'm in the process of getting ramped up to do (please excuse the anachronism) BFRs again after twenty or so years so damned busy I had no time for them.

Just how much for the instructor for a plain-jane BFR? Not the airplane. Not the ramp fees. Not the gasoline. JUST the CFI's fee.

Not a BFR for some old coot flying on a medical waiver for one arm, in his highly modified dual-seat Jenny, that hasn't flown in 50 years, out of JFK.

Thanks,

Jim
Excuse, excuse, excuse! I should have been more specific. I am going to do the hour of "ground instruction" online with the blessing of at least one of the local FSDO gang who said that was a perfectly legitimate way of doing ground instruction.

I'm talking JUST the flight portion.

Had mine 2 days ago, he charges a flat $200 for flight review. We spent about 4 hours together, so that's in line with the $50/hr other people are quoting.

Thanks,

Jim
my last BFR ran a bit less than an hour and cost the same as an hour's lesson with the CFI. do some shopping around.

Excuse, excuse, excuse! I should have been more specific. I am going to do the hour of "ground instruction" online with the blessing of at least one of the local FSDO gang who said that was a perfectly legitimate way of doing ground instruction.

I'm talking JUST the flight portion.

I suspect you may have trouble finding a CFI to give you an actual BFR sign-off if that CFI didn't give you the ground. The FSDO may say it's OK, but the CFI doesn't have to agree or participate. Personally, I'm not giving you a BFR sign-off unless I give the ground and flight.

Edit: nevermind, I mis-read (or mis-understood) your post. You're the one GIVING the flight review. Carry on.

I suspect you may have trouble finding a CFI to give you an actual BFR sign-off if that CFI didn't give you the ground. The FSDO may say it's OK, but the CFI doesn't have to agree or participate. Personally, I'm not giving you a BFR sign-off unless I give the ground and flight.

Man I must be totally out of it when I ask questions on this board. I **AM** the CFI and I **AM** making up the training and the online quiz (100% required). Please help me to understand how you didn't understand that from my original post?

Lol, my CFI doesn't charge any more than the normal instruction rate. Usually $35-40/HR around here depending on instructor certification level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I must be totally out of it when I ask questions on this board. I **AM** the CFI and I **AM** making up the training and the online quiz (100% required). Please help me to understand how you didn't understand that from my original post?

Totally mis-read it. I edited my original post.

When I was actively giving BFRs, I charged a flat $100 fee for a "normal" BFR. By normal I mean someone who has been at least somewhat active over the last 2 years, not a guy who hasn't flown in 10 years and wants to get back into it.

Easy to misunderstand when no where do you mention giving it until now. All the talk was about costs.

ohhhhhh, ok. well there are half a dozen schools near me and they're in the $50-$75 p/h range.

I always charge my normal instruction rate, currently $45/hr in my area. Those receiving the FR can do the ground portion using a video now but I'd want proof that they did it, such as a certificate. My last FR I underwent I did AOPA's FR course, printed out the certificate, and the CFI accepted it.

I hope you communicate better in person than you do in the internet because you come across as having an attitude. I too too initially interpreted your post as looking for a flight review; not administering a flight review. As for what you should charge, unless you have some specialty skills, market rate for an independent instructor in the DC VA MD area is about $35-$55/hr.

I paid $120 in instructor fees for my BFR. $60/hour with 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I charge 50hr cash/trade/barter regardless of what certificate the student seeking is

Also, note that the word is biennial. Bi-annual means twice a year.

One instructor around here is $50 per hour. A younger guy who is a CSIP charges $250 for up to 4 hours. You do the math. Another charges $55 per. Another charges $65. Another charges $75 with a 3 hour minimum. Bottom line is it seems to be all over the board. I'm sure you'll figure out what the market in your neck of the woods is.

Two hours at whatever the instruction rate is.

I hope you communicate better in person than you do in the internet because you come across as having an attitude. I too too initially interpreted your post as looking for a flight review; not administering a flight review. As for what you should charge, unless you have some specialty skills, market rate for an independent instructor in the DC VA MD area is about $35-$55/hr.

Oh, not you again. What a jerknose. You evidently never passed English 101.

Please, ignoramus, just go away.

Well, you titled your post "Cost for.." Implies you are the buyer. A better title would have been "What should I charge for..."

But to answer your question, I've never encountered a set fee. Always has just been instructors rate times time.

Jim, if I didn't know you were a CFI, that initial sentence could be used for either someone giving or planning to receive Flight Reviews.

Note that FAA no longer calls them "Biennial Flight Reviews" and switched to "Flight Review". They're still required biennially (at least for now...), but they removed the period of time from the title.

Like everything else in aviation it'll take about a decade for everyone to notice and stop calling them "BFRs" however. No worries.

Yes, I also interpreted that you were taking, not administering the Flight Review. I just leave that B word off, just like FAA.

Every instructor I've ever dealt with charge their hourly rate for as long as it takes.
One hour each of ground and flight is a minimum.

my last BFR ran a bit less than an hour and cost the same as an hour's lesson with the CFI. do some shopping around.

I believe the regs require a minimum of 1 hr each of ground and flight. Except for gliders.

Oh, not you again. What a jerknose. You evidently never passed English 101.

Please, ignoramus, just go away.

You kind of proved his point with this response. Your initial post wasn't well worded at all. If the attitude displayed in this thread is the kind of attitude you take with students/customers, maybe you should just stay on the bench as you're not going to do GA any favors.

Dear God,what a mess (Webster notwithstanding

I'm a CFI

I want to get back into giving BFRs (Whatever the hell you call them)

I know how to do the "hour on the ground". That's out of the equation.

I need to fly with the person >=1 hour. Assume (terrible word) that I give the person an hour of flight instruction.

In ** DOLLARS** how much to I charge this person;
\
Sheesh.

Jim

Back