Corrosion X on recently painted plane

Cmercado

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Charlie M
Guys,

Can you treat a recently painted plane with Corrosion X ? Any Experience?

Thanks for the input.

Guys,

Can you treat a recently painted plane with Corrosion X ? Any Experience?

Thanks for the input.

Paint doesn't dry any more it cross links due to chemical reaction, as soon as that has happened it can be corrosion treated, mostly the next day.

Check with the paint shop, but curing time is usually only a few days. They typically say not to wash it for a couple weeks to be safe. The real concern with Corrosion X is applications *before* painting.

The other side of the coin is that nice new paint job will look like cr@p shortly after the Corrosion X application from all the seeping through the seams, unless you really like washing and detailing the plane.

Jeff

The other side of the coin is that nice new paint job will look like cr@p shortly after the Corrosion X application from all the seeping through the seams, unless you really like washing and detailing the plane.
Paint your plane a dark color and it isn't nearly as noticeable.

The plane is based in the Caribbean so I guess that I will need to treat it and then deal with the seeping later. You dont want a plane based here to go untreated for more than a few days...

Treat it and be prepared to clean it. I had mine done a year ago and it weeped out of lots of places over the last year. I just finished an owner-assist annual and cleaned and waxed every bit of the exterior, and hope it will now wipe off, if there is any left to weep. I needed to be fairly liberal with some diluted degreaser to clean the undersides that hadn't been touched in a year.

The guy who's doing the job told me to wait at least two weeks before washing the plane. He also told me to get used to see the product all over the place for a few months....

Treat it and be prepared to clean it. I had mine done a year ago and it weeped out of lots of places over the last year. I just finished an owner-assist annual and cleaned and waxed every bit of the exterior, and hope it will now wipe off, if there is any left to weep. I needed to be fairly liberal with some diluted degreaser to clean the undersides that hadn't been touched in a year.

FWIW, I just saw an AT-6 yesterday in the shop that had been treated with ACF two years ago- it was still seeping out of every wing seam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The plane is based in the Caribbean so I guess that I will need to treat it and then deal with the seeping later. You dont want a plane based here to go untreated for more than a few days...

Yep, it's a necessary mess, but a mess is cheaper and easier to deal with than corrosion. Once the paint is on a base cured treat away.

Update:

Did Corrosion X treatment today.... Plane is a mess.....they told me not to wash it for 3 weeks..... Lets see.... I dont like my plane to look ugly....

well, wipe off what you can. then in 3 weeks wash it.
That goo will seep and creep out for years. But you'll be glad it's there.

Looked at another plane on Friday that had corrosion treatment after painting 7 years ago.....it too was still seeping out the bottom wing panel seams.

Stuff does work though.....sad thing is that while there was no corrosion where they had applied it to the wings.....unfortunately, they hadn't applied any to the tail :mad2:

When you wipe it, wipe it 'stepping up' lap joints so you shove it back in a bit, and when you're done rub the rag over your rivet heads, especially the flat ones. Granted in brand new paint you won't likely have cracked paint around the rivet heads.

The easiest way to get the smeary film off with the minimum work is with waxing.

The 310 I fly has been treated with it. It's been several years, still seeps out a bit (although not much anymore). Definitely nice to not have the corrosion concerns.

The Fairchild is 75 years old, and was corrosion treated as it was made. When I tore it down I found 1 little place on a lower longeron.

Back