Correcting medical omission

U

Unregistered

What is the recommended course of action to fix omissions on a Class 1 medical? I acknowledge my ignorance for not being as thorough on the medXpress form as I should have been, but right now i'm trying rectify the situation. I applied for a initial first class one year ago and renewed it 6 months ago. As I was reviewing my military disability paperwork and how it affects my class 1, I realized there were some serious mistakes on my past forms.

One, I had a car accident 9 years ago that resulted in traumatic brain injury. I checked the box for having history of unconsciousness and hospitalization but I did not specifically list TBI as an other injury. However, I discussed the whole situation with the AME. Since it was so long ago and that the military cleared me to fly, I wasn't surprised when I got a cert issued. However, my research now shows that I may need a special issuance. So am I hosed because I wasn't thorough on my form and got a certificate prematurely due to omission?

Second, i lost part of my ability to smell but its not lost completely. I can still smell smoke and gas, among other things, and since I didn't lose the sense completely I didn't list it as a condition. Military docs had no issue so I let it be. Now I'm thinking it should be listed as a smart, conservative thing to do.

What are my options to fix this without penalty (if that's possible). Do I reapply for a class I and go through the form more thoroughly or do I go through an aviation attorney or services like Pilot Medical Solutions to assist with amnesty and application/paperwork? I've been doing CFI the last 6 months since my military retirement but have not been on meds and there have been no complications from the TBI (ie. Seizures).

Appreciate any intelligence thrown my dumb way.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Don't pass go, don't listen to any random person, especially if that person is a pilot.

Contact Dr Chien, his advice will be worth 10x the pittance he charges for it to anyone serious about keeping an FAA medical.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Don't pass go, don't listen to any random person, especially if that person is a pilot.

Contact Dr Chien, his advice will be worth 10x the pittance he charges for it to anyone serious about keeping an FAA medical.

That, call Chien up, he has demonstrated that he really knows his stuff.

My off the cuff is to not get diherea of the mouth, you might be making problems where there are none... But your best bet is to confer with the good doc.

If the incident that resulted in the LOC was reported, I'm sure the doc discussed the fact you had a brain injury at the time even if you didn't write that on your form yourself. But ask Doc Bruce.

I agree that Bruce is the right person to ask about the medical aspects of this situation, but this is a legal issue as well as a medical matter. While the FAA usually doesn't get too upset if you "come clean" on your own before they notice the issue themselves, there's no guarantee they won't take legal action against you for submitting a medical application which omits required information. You should consider consulting an aviation attorney to intercede on your behalf with the FAA and negotiating an advance agreement not to pursue legal action against you in return for a full and frank disclosure of any medical information you previously omitted.

And since you say you know this likely requires special issuance, you are clearly aware that it is likely a disqualifying condition. As such, you should consider your current medical certificate obtained without full disclosure to be invalid. As a matter of both complying with the regulations and demonstrating good faith (something that goes a long way towards avoiding any enforcement action on this matter), you should definitely not exercise any privilege of your pilot or flight instructor certificates requiring medical certification until this matter is resolved.

If the incident that resulted in the LOC was reported, I'm sure the doc discussed the fact you had a brain injury at the time even if you didn't write that on your form yourself. But ask Doc Bruce.

Is a pilot required to make a medical diagnosis? I think not, the pilot reports what happened.

Is a pilot required to make a medical diagnosis? I think not, the pilot reports what happened.
Unfortunately, in this case, it appears the pilot did not report everything s/he knew. It may be there is no problem, but I agree that first step is to discuss it with Bruce to find out if it is a medical problem, and if it is, to discuss the legal aspects with an aviation attorney. And I reiterate that the OP should not fly on the current medical until either it's determined in consultation with Bruce that there is no medical problem, or if there is a medical problem, the entire situation is resolved with the FAA.

Thanks for the great inputs. I've contacted Dr. Chien so hopefully I can forge a safe and quick path forward. I've put the flying on hold. I'm hoping my Air Force clearance to fly will be sufficient to move forward easily. Don't think I can afford the battery of testings again. I'm still going to meet with my AME for consultation though rather than do a new medical exam. Will need to get paperwork right first to avoid FAA delays. I'm hoping that the TBI was reported on his side of the report which I hope to find out tomorrow.

The loss of smell was from the same head injury/car accident that caused the TBI.

...can't remember this case.(?). I sure hope I responded.....or that your inquiry got through.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back