Correcting an inadvertent omission, and Class 1 medical questions

U

Unregistered

I posted this previously but never saw it show up in the forum. Not sure if I gave too much info, or if it was denied for some other reason, but I would really like some help here so if possible, please reply in some form, I will continue to monitor the forums. Just in case too much info was present, I removed some of it and will respond to questions seeking further information.

In mid 2010 I was told that I had an Adjustment Disorder w/ Depressed Mood after reporting suicidal ideations. The mental health worker at the clinic advised hospitalization. I never made a suicide attempt, only mentioned during my intake that I had thought about it. I spent 10 or 11 days in the facility going to group meetings, talking to a doc there and they placed me on Sertraline to ease the depression. I attended some mental health sessions weekly for the first couple of months once I was released from the hospital. I would say that my total time on the Sertraline was less than 6 months, though at this point I'm not exactly sure.

In 2011 I began training for my PPL. Once the time neared to solo I filled out my form online for the Student Pilot/Third Class Medical combo. Prior to my hospitalization I never had a condition that merited placement on any medical forms for prior history, and in my haste to get everything filled out I inadvertently omitted the diagnosis for Adjustment Disorder. It wasn't out of any malicious intent, I just forgot to put it on there as I've never had anything to declare in the past.

In around Sep of 2012 I ran out of money to fly, and at this point I had not yet received my PPL. The company I worked for fell on some hard times and I was forced to look elsewhere for work and move in with family.

In May 2014, I mentioned to my doctor that I was feeling down again, and my new doc wrote me another script for Sertraline. I filled the script, but I wasn't necessarily pleased at the thought of taking meds again, so I opted not to and threw them away.

Shortly after this all happened, I applied at a local college and started going to classes. I found a roommate and was able to get my own place again, and with some changes in the way I viewed things, I stopped thinking about depression and started concentrating on school and myself. Some time later I decided to get back on the horse and finish up my pilot certificate, and within the last half of 2015 I took and passed my check-ride.

I decided I wanted to pursue a career in aviation, and I realized that I needed to disclose the fact that I had seen the doc for depression (I imagine I should have done this immediately, but I can't change the past unfortunately) and began some research to find out what sort of documentation I would need. Of course during this research I came across some information from the FAA covering the depression as well as adjustment disorders and realized that I had hadn't disclosed it on my initial medical certificate application.

What I need to know at this point (I grounded myself once I realized how badly I had screwed up) is how to approach this with the FAA. From how the documentation on the FAA website reads, it looks to me as though adjustment disorder and depression are both issuable assuming that I am currently stable and off the meds for 3 months? What I don't know is how to disclose the previous omission appropriately.

Will I be able to get my medical? Will it need to be a Special Issuance? Or should I plan on never being able to fly again because of the mishap?

you may need a SI. Go see your AME or write to CAMI (FAA) ... follow their directions. Once you are off the antidepressants and cleared mentally you can be issued. If you and your doctor determine a anti-depressant are needed you can fly with a SI. Stay tuned as there will I,m sure be other opinions as to how you can return to a flying career.

DO NOT contact the FAA or some random AME, you'll want to talk to someone like Bruce,
http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

I'd also look into EXACTLY how you were diagnosed on your charts and in the databases.

Another thought, perhaps let your medical lapse and stick to LSAs? Yeah you forgot to mention it, but it's a thought to consider.

Talk to Bruce and weight your options.

DO NOT contact the FAA or some random AME, you'll want to talk to someone like Bruce,
http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

I'd also look into EXACTLY how you were diagnosed on your charts and in the databases.

Another thought, perhaps let your medical lapse and stick to LSAs? Yeah you forgot to mention it, but it's a thought to consider.

Talk to Bruce and weight your options.

Unfortunately this post was delayed from appearing for over a month, so I didn't get any outside advice on this matter and it wasn't something I wanted to continue putting off. I didn't want to delay any longer so I went to my AME and disclosed all of the information I have. As I expected from what little info I could find, he deferred and I am waiting for my letter from the FAA to determine what steps I will need to take next. If I run into trouble I will definitely contact Dr. Bruce from the link you supplied. At this point I expect I will be given the 30 days to provide information, and I'll forward along all the information that I have. I don't have a problem with seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist if that is what's called for, and for me at this point money isn't an issue, I just want this to be decided one way or the other.

LSA isn't an option, I'll either fly or I won't, I'm not about to knowingly exploit a loophole just so I can cruise around in a two-seater.

Hooo boy. You are going to need the entire doc's record for FAA review. Unfortuantely, that record is going to look like recurrent depression. Furthermore, it's going to look like you lied.

BAD situation. This is going to need a community Board certified psychiatrist to review your doc's records and conclude that you don't have any of the items listed in http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/anyone-taken-ssri-decision-path-1-recently.90666/ . In this situation, I would never move forward without having a convincing case.

Having what you need allows the medical officer the option to grant the SI (you need an SI), and to warn you about truth and to NOT discipline you.

Hooo boy. You are going to need the entire doc's record for FAA review. Unfortuantely, that record is going to look like recurrent depression. Furthermore, it's going to look like you lied.

BAD situation. This is going to need a community Board certified psychiatrist to review your doc's records and conclude that you don't have any of the items listed in http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/anyone-taken-ssri-decision-path-1-recently.90666/ . In this situation, I would never move forward without having a convincing case.

Having what you need allows the medical officer the option to grant the SI (you need an SI), and to warn you about truth and to NOT discipline you.

Thank you for replying to this thread. Going by your username I'm assuming you are the doc that another poster in this thread recommended contacting? I certainly would love to have had this type of information months ago, but after attempting to post here twice and having neither post approved until just days ago, I have already contacted and seen my AME and am now waiting for my letter from the FAA.

I did contact several local Aviation Attorneys as well as AOPA, and was advised by all sources that I should go in and get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Given that your input is basically the opposite of what they told me, is there anything you suggest I get going on my end while I wait for my letter?

Also, if you believe this is something you can assist with and I should reach out to you about it through your website, I will do so ASAP.

You should absolutely call him tomorrow. Bruce helped me and the AOPA also told me something different. Bruce was spot on and im quite happy i called him.

I have sent Bruce an email with all info from this and previous threads, we'll see what he has to say! Thank you all for the responses.

Doc does not use the forum as a venue to drum up business, so he will never ask here for you to hire him. But doing so is probably the best thing you could do at this point.

Can't speak for the AOPA or others but I have personally used Bruce's services and I have found he generally takes a very conservative approach for a good reason there may be other ways but from what I have seen if you do what Bruce recommends and it is possible to get a medical you will get one. He won't blow smoke up your skirt if it isn't possible. Good Luck!

LSA isn't an option, I'll either fly or I won't, I'm not about to knowingly exploit a loophole just so I can cruise around in a two-seater.

I think of a "loophole" as being unintentional. The sport pilot rules were adopted on purpose.

While there are limitations, for sure, I'm finding that I'm enjoying flying LSAs a lot more than I thought I would.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back