CoQ10

Likely not as effective as loosing weight and increasing cardiovascular exercise.

Likely not as effective as loosing weight and increasing cardiovascular exercise.

Sorry--I'm the OP. Didn't mean to be anonymous.

I've read the studies, but wonder what our members' experiences have been.

(As you know from another thread, I've lost a lot of weight and gotten my BP down.)

I take it on a regular basis but I also exercise 5 to 6 days a week and increased my potassium intake, among other things (and my BMI is down to 22.8) Too many confounding factors to say whether it has done anything for my BP. I take it for other reasons anyway.

According to the readings I take with an electronic cuff my BP has averaged 102/73 for the last month. The last time I got my BP measured at a doctors office a couple months ago it was measured at 110/80.

I got back on magnesium and started CoQ10, as of yesterday. I've only taken one reading, but immediately, both numbers are 10 lower.

I'll get back with an average after a few days!

Out of curiosity, what's driving your curiosity about supplements and blood pressure

Here's Mayo Clinic's take on the stuff. There is a mention about possibly about lowering blood pressure. I've heard that it might be useful for preventing the muscle aches that can occur as the result of taking statin type cholesterol lowering drugs.

There is some evidence to support the use of CoQ10 for high blood pressure and heart failure. Promising uses of CoQ10 include eye disease, chest pain caused by exercise, asthma, chronic fatigue, and high cholesterol, as well as the treatment of chemotherapy side effects in children. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/coenzyme-q10/background/hrb-20059019

Last edited:
Off topic kind of, but, if you want to take a prescription drug that is good for your health that has zero side effects, get a prescription for Vascepa. It is highly purified fish-oil (EPA) with out the DHA and add that to your CoQ10. Then work out :)

Off topic kind of, but, if you want to take a prescription drug that is good for your health that has zero side effects, get a prescription for Vascepa. It is highly purified fish-oil (EPA) with out the DHA and add that to your CoQ10. Then work out :)

Why not OTC fish oil which is much less expensive? Taking excess fish oil can result in bleeding problems. So much for "zero side effects". Vascepa has a medical indication for use so a physician should not prescribe it simply on request.

The most common side effect of VASCEPA is joint pain. Talk to your doctor for medical advice about side effects. As with all drugs, you may experience a serious side effect when taking VASCEPA.
http://www.vascepa.com/

Gary,
You can cut the 4G to 2 or even 1 gram of highly purified EPA, which has a lot of PRO benefits, vs OTC fish oil which is not FDA regulated and a crap shoot.

Gary,
You can cut the 4G to 2 or even 1 gram of highly purified EPA, which has a lot of PRO benefits, vs OTC fish oil which is not FDA regulated and a crap shoot.
I see your point which mirrors the marketing by the manufacturer. I take 2 to 3 OTC fish oil capsules daily. Too cheap to buy the expensive stuff as I don't meet the prescribing criteria. High triglycerides are usually are the result of excess carb intake, metabolic syndrome or diabetes.

Dr. Sears is 1 of the countries leading researchers on fish oil, here is 1 article by him talking about the anti-inflammatory properties of EPA vs DHA. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-are-the-real-differences-between-epa-and-dha

The problem with OTC is that you get a lot of DHA, which is more beneficial to children for brain development and can actually be bad in high doses for adults. The best OTC fish oil is: Norwegian Gold EPA 1000, however, it is still more cost effective to buy Vascepa.

Back on topic, if you look up CoQ10, it is most effective you take it with fish oil, aka omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids, however, omega 6 is the essential fatty acid, since your body cannot make it. Your body can make o-3 and 9 from 6.

The medical understanding of cardiac events is still lacking, IMO and focus's on the wrong aspects of cardiac health. We focus on cholesterol, LDL, HDL, etc! When modern research is showing it is inflammatory issues that are leading to cardiac events.

sorry for the long rant!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back