Copying Itunes downloads to non-Apple Mp3 player

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Evidently Apple, in order to sell more Ipods, makes it difficult to copy and play their Itunes songs to a non Apple Mp3 player. Any of you IT gurus know how this can safely be done? Thanks.

You'll find the files on the disk in the iTunes music library. Just copy from there to the player. My Computer-My Music-ITunes Music or somesuch.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store will only play if songs are MP3, not Apple AAC with DRM. You can convert them now for some silly fee.

It turns that *maybe* it really was the RIAA, not Apple that wanted the DRM.

You'll find the files on the disk in the iTunes music library. Just copy from there to the player. My Computer-My Music-ITunes Music or somesuch.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store will only play if songs are MP3, not Apple AAC with DRM. You can convert them now for some silly fee.

The Itunes song copied to my Mp3 player, but will not play. It is marked as an Mp4 file.

The Itunes song copied to my Mp3 player, but will not play. It is marked as an Mp4 file. (.m4a)

The Itunes song copied to my Mp3 player, but will not play. It is marked as an Mp4 file.

AFAIK, the DRMed stuff is AAC, but I could be wrong. You might see if you can convert it to MP3 even in iTunes.

I had a bunch of tunes purchased from a source other than Itunes on my PC. Recently I converted to a Macbook. For me to transfer my tunes, I had to first burn disks of all my tunes. Then I loaded all these disks into Itunes in my Mac. After that, I was able to download everything into my Ipod.

You should be able to do a variation of the above to get your tunes where you want them. Its just a bit of a pain to do it.

I had a bunch of tunes purchased from a source other than Itunes on my PC. Recently I converted to a Macbook. For me to transfer my tunes, I had to first burn disks of all my tunes. Then I loaded all these disks into Itunes in my Mac. After that, I was able to download everything into my Ipod.

You should be able to do a variation of the above to get your tunes where you want them. Its just a bit of a pain to do it.
You lose a ton of audio quality that way. It's better to do a direct format conversion if possible.

If you purchased them through iTunes, then the files have DRM and will not be able to be played on a non-apple device. As Mike said, you can "buy" the DRM off of them so that you can play them on non-apple devices.

The other alternative is to burn them to a CD and them import them off of the CD into your other software. There are a number of DRM removal tools out there, but I don't know which ones are worth a hoot.

If you purchased them through iTunes, then the files have DRM and will not be able to be played on a non-apple device. As Mike said, you can "buy" the DRM off of them so that you can play them on non-apple devices....

Also if you buy from the iTMS now and in the last year or so you get a non-DRM MP3.

Also if you buy from the iTMS now and in the last year or so you get a non-DRM MP3.

Thanks Mike. Good info. Guess I'll be using iTMS instead of iTunes.

Mike are you saying they have dropped the DRM, or getting them clean is one option on checkout?

AFAIK, every song in the store is non-DRM now.

Btw, Amazon has been selling non-DRM MP3s for even longer.

Anybody know about video? Lemme guess. Still DRMed.

AFAIK, every song in the store is non-DRM now.

Btw, Amazon has been selling non-DRM MP3s for even longer.

Anybody know about video? Lemme guess. Still DRMed.

Video there's plenty of software to deal with, lot of it from SlySoft although I've had to use ClownBD for BlueRay.

I'm pretty sure he means iTunes Music Store by iTMS....

Yes, I believe you are correct. Thanks.

Does anybody have a link to non-DRM Mp3 sources in which my non Apple Mp3 player can play? I don't do Limewire due to the legality and associated virus/spyware.

Back