coordinated flight question

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
When the ball is not exactly in between the center markings I understand that to mean that it's uncoordinated. Other than getting the ball in the exact middle, is that the only thing that makes the plane coordinated?

If the ball is slightly outside the center....say on the line, technically that is uncoordinated but how much uncoordination is an issue? I certainly don't keep the ball in the center every single moment and I don't fall out of the sky. Just curious, what are the parameters of flying and not flying (crashing) when it comes to coordination? If I were to lose aileron function on a wing and I need to turn I understand that I can use the rudder and power but that makes the plane uncoordinated. Maybe I should just see if I can figure out FS and see what happens but I can't go home and play right now.

Last edited:
It is next to impossible to keep the ball centered in its window... When it disappears completely off to one side you will have some "issues":eek:

When the ball is not exactly in between the center markings I understand that to mean that it's uncoordinated. Other than getting the ball in the exact middle, is that the only thing that makes the plane coordinated?

If the ball is slightly outside the center....say on the line, technically that is uncoordinated but how much uncoordination is an issue? I certainly don't keep the ball in the center every single moment and I don't fall out of the sky. Just curious, what are the parameters of flying and not flying (crashing) when it comes to coordination? If I were to lose aileron function on a wing and I need to turn I understand that I can use the rudder and power but that makes the plane uncoordinated. Maybe I should just see if I can figure out FS and see what happens but I can't go home and play right now.

After a while you'll start to feel coordination in your behind. Don't always stare at the ball. Look at it for a while to make sure you know what being coordinated feels like, then you shouldn't ever have to look at it again. When you feel like you're sitting straight up in your seat, you're coordinated. If you feel like you're sliding one way or another on the seat, you're not.

As to the "crashing" when not coordinated, you're never coordinated when you're slipping for crosswind correction, and you don't crash. My CFI wanted to prove to me that the "No slips with full flaps" placard in the Tecnam Eaglets was hogwash, so we took the plane up to a couple thousand AGL, dropped in full flaps, and slipped and slipped and slipped. I'm still here today, so it couldn't have been too bad :).

Keeping the ball centered is keeping the propeller in line with the rudder as Bill Thomas said. Uncoordinated flight is also not as efficient as coordinated flight.

If you're just flying along in cruise, and notice that the ball is always to the right, you would add some right rudder, to push the tail left, to align the with the nose. Otherwise you're flying a bit sideways. This example can be tiring on the feet. In this case, you would want a "fixed" rudder trim tab adjusted, or use rudder trim if available. The idea is for the ball to be centered as much as possible, without a constant push on rudder.

Note: this example is for cruise situations.

There is another way to "see" coordinated flight: Look straight ahead, make sure the wings are absolutley level...and simultaneously make the airplane fly perfectly straight ahead (don't allow ANY yaw). Unless you're flying a really bent airplane, it should take very little effort on the controls. Now take a deep breath and relax, that is what coordinated flight feels like.
To take it further, one needs to apply Isaac Newton's law of coordinated airplane flight - Wings level and no yaw IS coordinated. Works upside-down, too. Wings level, but aircraft yawing NOT coordinated. Wings banked - even slightly - with no yaw is NOT coordinated. I flew with this asian student, Won Wing Low we called him (old Bill Kershner joke).
Another technique: Always keep your head in line with your body...don't crane your neck during turns (note I didn't say don't look for traffic). Allow your inner ear to help you sense coordinated flight when turning. After all, what good is coordinated flight if your head is leaning 30 degrees to the left or right.
Takes practice. I highly suggest reading Budd Davisson's What's the rudder for on his website. Clears up a lot of gray areas.

While I agree that you should get the "feel" of coordinated flight, it's necessary to check the ball occasionally to make sure you're feeling the right thing. After flying for a while, even uncoordinated can begin to feel normal.

Example: New students tend to climb to cruise altitude, push over to level flight and then begin to climb again. Why? They get so used to the attitude and the "feel" of climbing that it becomes "normal". When they push over to level flight, it feels like a descent, so they go back to a climb to get that "normal" feeling again.

The same thing can happen when in a slip or skid. You get used to the feel and the sight picture. Believe the ball and get the nose pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Coordinated flight is efficient flight. If you fly with GPS, trim the aircraft for straight and level flight. Look at the ball, if it's left or right of center check ground speed on the GPS, take note. Now center the ball for 5 mins and check the ground speed again, the ground speed has increased.

Keep the ball centered all the time and it will become automatic.

While I agree that you should get the "feel" of coordinated flight, it's necessary to check the ball occasionally to make sure you're feeling the right thing. After flying for a while, even uncoordinated can begin to feel normal.

Example: New students tend to climb to cruise altitude, push over to level flight and then begin to climb again. Why? They get so used to the attitude and the "feel" of climbing that it becomes "normal". When they push over to level flight, it feels like a descent, so they go back to a climb to get that "normal" feeling again.

The same thing can happen when in a slip or skid. You get used to the feel and the sight picture. Believe the ball and get the nose pointed in the right direction.

The ball is there to calibrate your butt. ;)

I know most student pilots don't get much occasion to fly an autopilot equipt airplane, but those who do may see the autopilot flying the aircraft in a bank...Why? The rudder trim is askew, or the pilot flying is oblivious to the fact steady and constant rudder pressure is required. Once in awhile, I even observe this in airliners.
Another minor point is if you notice a slightly heavy wing, it may be an indication of too little rudder pressure (notwithstanding out of balance fuel tanks).

Back