cool video

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Sort of a cool video:

http://www.jesseangell.com/pass.wmv

Whoever was the rider was an idiot for lack of gear...but I hear sometimes when it gets hot as hell and it's for a video like this you just dont bother to put it on.

what was so stupid about that? and he had a helmet, what more do you want?

I don't get it. A guy just moving back and forth down the road (with a helmet on) on a motorcycle is cool?

I think it was Jesse and y'all missed the point.

Or I missed the point and it was some dude going by on a motorcycle.

Either way, the Triple take at the end was a bit excessive, no?

Well. The lack of anything else other than the helmet is pretty stupid. At least in my opinion.

Well it may have been me...Let's just say the passing speed in that video is a tad on the high side...deep into the triple digits....from a stop about a 1/4 mile to maybe 1/2 mile away.

There's more to the story though...There was another bike...One of the "my harley is fast" kind of guys. He doesn't come into the video for well....quite awhile after that...

More or less you only can listen to the "my engine is bigger so i'm way faster" kind of crap for so long. The end of the video was more or less put together to rub it in someones face.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Well it may have been me...Let's just say the passing speed in that video is a tad on the high side...deep into the triple digits....from a stop about a 1/4 mile to maybe 1/2 mile away.
If it's more than 1/8 mile, my eyes are off. I'd even go for less than 800 feet.

And he wasn't breaking 100 when he passed the camera. Maybe 60-70 tops. Look at the road markings and timing. It doesn't work for "triple digits". Sorry.

Brian Austin said:
If it's more than 1/8 mile, my eyes are off. I'd even go for less than 800 feet.

And he wasn't breaking 100 when he passed the camera. Maybe 60-70 tops. Look at the road markings and timing. It doesn't work for "triple digits". Sorry.
haha. OK. I hate how those damn speedometers and GPS report the wrong speed. It's really hard to judge speed from a video. Take a look at this honda civic..1/4 mile in 10 seconds and 136 mph http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8328037700520953738&q=1/4+mile

And this video where they passed at 116 mph http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7048082893412589505&q=1/4+mile

Keep in mind that is a camera with a 330mm telephoto lens. Your distance perception is completely whacked.

As far as distance the roads/fields in that area are layed out in exact 1 mile squares. You can see the end of the field in the one direction...and teh camera is at the other end of that field.

An interesting note about the Max. Speed feature on a GPS. For quite some time my max. speed was right around 201 mph. My mom was fiddling with the GPS one day and seen where it said Max. Speed 201 mph and started to freak..like my bike would actually be capable of such...Though there are bikes that are.. I'm pretty sure that was either from Lance's baron when i turned it on for a short time..or from some really strong winds aloft.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Keep in mind that is a camera with a 330mm telephoto lens. Your distance perception is completely whacked.

As far as distance the roads/fields in that area are layed out in exact 1 mile squares. You can see the end of the field in the one direction...and teh camera is at the other end of that field.
330mm telephone lens on a video camera and that kind of pivot point of the cameraman doesn't work. You'd lose the rider too fast.

Even so, perspective is based not only on the person but the surroundings. Our eyes adjust on the relativity of the image, not just an element of the image. If it was a still image or the rider stayed further away, I'd agree that the telephoto could throw off perspective. Given his motion, however, and the perspective of the cameraman, it doesn't work.

Whatever the case, I just don't see what the excitement is all about. A guy zooming back and forth on a motorcycle (with a helmet on) just doesn't say "what an idiot" to me, I guess.

Calling yourself an idiot now Jesse? ;) That looks like your 750 to me.

jangell said:

Apparently so. While I don't stand in the middle of the road watching motorcycles blast past me, it looks more like around 60.

jangell said:
An interesting note about the Max. Speed feature on a GPS. For quite some time my max. speed was right around 201 mph. My mom was fiddling with the GPS one day and seen where it said Max. Speed 201 mph and started to freak..like my bike would actually be capable of such...Though there are bikes that are.. I'm pretty sure that was either from Lance's baron when i turned it on for a short time..or from some really strong winds aloft.

It could have been from a ride you were on. I'm on a motorcycle webboard occasionally and quite a few people with various GPS units have ended up with max speeds indicating 150-200% of their max velocity. One guy had a picture of his showing 300something MPH. He certainly wasn't going anywhere near that fast on mountain roads and was pretty sure he didn't run off a cliff. My guess would be that the point to point averaging sample isn't big enough then add in the occasional extreme limits of position error and it suddenly thinks you traveled double the distance in the same amount of time. Just a guess.

P.S. The triple replay at the end lacks class. I assume that's there for someone specific with a different mindset.

Want a cool motorcycle video: Try this one: http://www.yogeshsarkar.com/trips/ladakh05/just_touched_the_sky.wmv
For those who don't know, Khardung-La is 18,380 MSL.

Last edited:
The idiot could be the cameraman for standing in the middle of the road and letting someone charge at him at a high rate of speed. There was a video a while ago which would prove my point.
Or it could be doing it on a road with numerous blind hills and on the wrong side of the road. You never know what could come over the top.

jangell said:

Mine goes haywire quite often, usually right around where there's poor reception or a brief loss of satellite reception. I usually reset it, but after seeing values in the 200-350 mph range most of the time, it currently reads 2795 mph. I decided to keep that one. :D

i thought the helmet was just so you would have an open casket?

Back