Cool UH-60 photos

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Yesterday I had a meeting at Fort Wainwright with our local Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic committee. While there I toured the new hangar of the 68th Medical Company. I never get tired of whirlybirds.

ipod1.3.08%20094.jpg

ipod1.3.08%20093.jpg

ipod1.3.08%20091.jpg

That's one heck of an aircraft ski, made locally in Alaska, by Landes/Airglas.

Richard, who let you into my hangar and said you could shoot pics?????

sigh. wishful thinkin' is all... :D

Cool beans!

I live <1 mile from an Air Guard UH-60 Base. I've seen tons of them coming and going, but never with anything hanging on the sides. Is that extra fuel? I would assume the med-evac wouldn't be armed.

I must be a sick sick aviator ... first thing I spotted in the first pic is the John Deere tractor! :lol:

Cool beans!

I live <1 mile from an Air Guard UH-60 Base. I've seen tons of them coming and going, but never with anything hanging on the sides. Is that extra fuel? I would assume the med-evac wouldn't be armed.

Yes, these ships are equipped with pintle mounts, which can accept a variety of weapons (only -60's that are so equipped belong to special ops) or in this case fuel pods. I believe they are 150 gallons on each side. They don't direct-fuel the aircraft, but rather the fuel is pumped to onboard fuel tanks as needed.

In Alaska their missions can be greater than 4 hours, with few refueling options in between. The Air Force rescue folks tackle that problem with airborne refueling from a HC-130 rescue tanker. The Army uses fuel pods.

IMG_5445.JPG

Back