Cool Trick

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
In the Cirrus Perspective, you have a very advanced autopilot. In fact, there may be too much (CF video posted elsewhere on this forum talking about automation for AA pilots). Anything you want to do, you can probably do in at least three different ways--nice, but can be distracting.

But one thing I -really- love is the LVL button. It isn't just a wing leveler. Without turning on the AP, press the LVL button, and no matter what attitude your plane is in, you will be returned to straight and level! And the AP is also turned on.

We tried that yesterday with unusual attitudes under the hood (after we did them the old fashioned way). Very cool trick!

Ben, I think it's the best advance in autopilotology in decades.

Ben, I think it's the best advance in autopilotology in decades.

The -only- concern I have is the way it might be being sold, because I do know that sometimes Cirrus CFIs try to get low-time pilots into these birds as "efficiently" as possible. Procedures and flows, scenarios and drills, and out you go! Into some hard IMC with 100 hours and very little experience.

There's no flow for getting the crap scared out of you!

So I'm recommending someone like me, a 600 hour, 11-year IR pilot, of average ability, to take it slow and smart. Get a thorough checkout, and get comfortable.

> no matter what attitude your plane is in, you will be returned to straight and level!

I'd like to see the "no matter what attitude ..." aspect of that promise demonstrated.
Let's start with a 135 deg bank with the nose ~20 degrees below the horizon.

> no matter what attitude your plane is in, you will be returned to straight and level!

I'd like to see the "no matter what attitude ..." aspect of that promise demonstrated.
Let's start with a 135 deg bank with the nose ~20 degrees below the horizon.

I ain't tryin' it. I have about 15 hours aerobatic time, but that was in an -aerobatic- airplane.

Nah, let's invert the aircraft and then see what it does!

Nah, let's invert the aircraft and then see what it does!

Not in an aircraft not approved for spins.

I know, I know; I could simply roll inverted and try pushing the button. But I usually prefer using the query "what is the AP doing now?" for when I'm in essentially normal flight.

Back