Cool southeast airports?

swizz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Swizz
Hey guys i'm finishing up my ppl and pretty much all thats left is my cross country flight. I'm based out of KDKX in Tennessee. I want to fly into an airport with a good restaurant and or good views. Any suggestions?

5NC3 Pick n Pig restaurant
KSUT nice surroundings and excellent services (no food)
KFFA Where it all began

And if you need to go a little farther...rough river state park (2i3).

GMU-excellent airport restaurant right on the ramp.
CDK-island airport and a van will pick you up to go to one of several restaurants in town.

If you need a longer XC, try KRYY, fantastic restaurant next to the FBO (off the north ramp). It is my home field and we some how time arrival and departures close to meal times, odd how that works.......

Took me about 1.3 in a C172 to get to KGKT from KRYY so I would expect you to be able to do it in that or a little less.

Hey guys i'm finishing up my ppl and pretty much all thats left is my cross country flight. I'm based out of KDKX in Tennessee. I want to fly into an airport with a good restaurant and or good views. Any suggestions?

KDKX is one of my favorites. Like the view and cheap self serve.

Flyingron KSUT has several crew cars available to borrow. Great FBO staff. Southport waterfront is 10 mins away. Lots of restaurants there, good view. The dead end saloon is my favorite though. $10 for a big mahi mahi burger.

If you need a longer XC, try KRYY, fantastic restaurant next to the FBO (off the north ramp). It is my home field and we some how time arrival and departures close to meal times, odd how that works.......

Took me about 1.3 in a C172 to get to KGKT from KRYY so I would expect you to be able to do it in that or a little less.

I was going to recommend KRYY. Easy airport, and the food is pretty good. It is a towered airport, but the controllers are very nice.

KWDR, KLZU, and LPDX near Atlanta all have on field restaurants, and are good.

The following are close by crew car:

KOWB - Moonlight BBQ
M54 - Demo's

Although hardly worth flying for you: KGKT and get a crew car and hit Joes Crab Shack for a steamer bucket.

And if you need to go a little farther...rough river state park (2i3).

Super place. Went there for lunch first pretty and warm day this year. Several folks flew in, including my granddaughter solo in the Citabria, a a couple of Bonanzas, a 172 and of course my Waco.

No fuel or other services, but the lodge is an easy walk from the strip.

Ernie

When it's time for your Long XC, look into KSJS, Big Sandy Airport in Prestonsburg/Paintsville, KY. Sits on a reclaimed coal mine, and the Cloud 9 Diner is across the parking lot. Just don't go on Saturday evening during prom season, or you'll have to wait for a table.

The food is pretty good, ranging from burgers and fires to barbecue to steak. I've not tried the shrimp, rural KY is a l-o-o-o-n-g way from salt water.

The airport is surrounded by working mines and a prison, and the runway slopes up to the north. Taking off to the south, it looks like a ski jump but not as steep. Landing to the south takes extra descent rate, or you'll just parallel the runway as it drops away beneath you. But it's long and wide, and often has elk grazing on the hill to the west. Last time I was there [mid-April], we counted a dozen or so taxiing by, and almost two dozen after takeoff.

Fun place! Good food, large servings, affordable prices, and unlike most things you'll see around Knoxville. You can get flight following all the way, and should have radar coverage almost into the pattern.

KJKA Gulf Shores. It's very near the beach and a crew car will get you to plenty of seafood places or the beach for a few hours. Bring your cooler and fill it up with fresh shrimp to take home.
KAVL is one of my favorites, but can be a little tricky.

If you like good southern comfort food, Grider Field in Pine Bluff, Ar has a cafe open from 11-2 mon-fri.

Fly into M93 (fuel available as of last week) and grab a bite at Southernaire which is a short walk from the runway. Not high brow but darn good breakfast.

KWDR, KLZU, and LPDX near Atlanta all have on field restaurants, and are good.

I think you mean KPDK... although PDK has a great restaurant (actually 2) on the field, there is no free parking. any parking to get food will cost you $20 or fuel but the fuel is $$$ compared to what is available nearby so pay the $20.

The Downwind is right on the field beside the control tower, the 57th Fighter Group Restaurant is on the corner of the field technically off property but Epps will offer a free shuttle service.

Since we are talking about the Atlanta area, I'd be remiss not to mention Peach State Aerodrome (GA2). Barnstormers Grill is one of the best on field restaurants if have been to, they have the Chandler Field Museum they are building up on site and have a flying Jenny among some other classic aircraft. Heck they even have an old WWI German Triplane (yes... it flies too).

Cool place but just FYI its a 2400' grass strip with a 600' overrun on one end. If possible, land uphill (13) and take off downhill (31).

BTW... THANKS for all the responses to this thread. While I do believe that it has gone beyond the intent of the OP, it has given me lots to think about flying to since I was getting stagnant on new places to fly around the southeast. KEEP THEM COMING!! :yes:

Andy

Cool place but just FYI its a 2400' grass strip with a 600' overrun on one end. If possible, land uphill (13) and take off downhill (31).

How rough is the field? I've done grass on the Mooney, but it has to be relatively smooth.

How rough is the field? I've done grass on the Mooney, but it has to be relatively smooth.

Fairly smooth, I have no issues getting my Comanche in and out of there, figure your Mooney should be about the same. Just be on your toes and hit your short/soft field landing numbers.

Fairly smooth, I have no issues getting my Comanche in and out of there, figure your Mooney should be about the same. Just be on your toes and hit your short/soft field landing numbers.

Great, thanks!

When it's time for your Long XC, look into KSJS, Big Sandy Airport in Prestonsburg/Paintsville, KY. Sits on a reclaimed coal mine, and the Cloud 9 Diner is across the parking lot.

I second this .
Just stopped in here yesterday on my flight between SC and Michigan. Easy in out, was on an IFR flight plan and Center had me on radar all the way to the airport (they have gps approaches).

Good food, service was a little slow but they just got slammed with dinner rush. The FBO service was very nice, and clean 100LL was $5.45.

Great Stop! :yes:

Attachments

• big sandy.JPG
    big sandy.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
I think you mean KPDK... although PDK has a great restaurant (actually 2) on the field, there is no free parking. any parking to get food will cost you $20 or fuel but the fuel is $$$ compared to what is available nearby so pay the $20.

The Downwind is right on the field beside the control tower, the 57th Fighter Group Restaurant is on the corner of the field technically off property but Epps will offer a free shuttle service.
This is a cool restaurant. Went there today. Black and blue salad. Yum. Other good things on the menu too. The decor is WWII European farmhouse/bunker. There was a guy out front giving biplane rides.

I've taken an Arrow and an Archer in there. No issues distance-wise with those two, but I'd be careful with a Mooney. I didn't consider the field to be smooth.

GMU-excellent airport restaurant right on the ramp.
CDK-island airport and a van will pick you up to go to one of several restaurants in town.

CDK is great if you love seafood.

I don't. The approach and landing is fun.

Back