Cool iStuff

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So a couple of months back, I got an iPhone 4. Nice, works great, battery life is just fine. It's a hit.

Then, thanks to a very dear (though mentally unbalanced) friend, I have am iPad. It has ForeFlight. It is Very Cool.

I also ordered and received an AppleTV device - stupid simple, it just works, great for streaming video - and (as it turns out) you can download a free App for the iPad or the iPhone which then serves as a remote control for the AppleTV.

These guys make neat stuff.

It's refreshing compared to other overly-complex stuff IMHO. I deal with enough whiz-kid engineered stuff at work. And if I really need to, I can always fire up a virtual machine on the MacBook Pro to geek-out in Linux at the command line. (Actually I could dual-boot it but virtualization has hit a point where I rarely care what OS I'm running...)

Someone was asking the other day how to spoof their IP while visiting Asia. My initial thought was, "SSH tunnel to your house."

But then I realized they were talking about an OS where network tools are an add-on hack, and altered my advice to, "Set up a VPN tunnel."

You either have real tools built in or you don't. SSH+VNC and I'm sitting at my desk at home. Why make things difficult? ;)

It's refreshing compared to other overly-complex stuff IMHO. I deal with enough whiz-kid engineered stuff at work. And if I really need to, I can always fire up a virtual machine on the MacBook Pro to geek-out in Linux at the command line. (Actually I could dual-boot it but virtualization has hit a point where I rarely care what OS I'm running...)

Why in FSM's name would you need Linux to run a Command Line? Whas' wrong with Terminal? Console? on your Mac? That IS BSD Unix underneath, ya know.

Code:
MacBook-Pro-15:~ mike$ uname -a
Darwin MacBook-Pro-15.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
MacBook-Pro-15:~ mike$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.10.0 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
(with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2007, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

MacBook-Pro-15:~ mike$ awk
usage: awk [-F fs] [-v var=value] [-f progfile | 'prog'] [file ...]
MacBook-Pro-15:~ mike$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:16:cb:86:ec:cb 
	inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fe86:eccb%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6 
	inet 192.168.1.73 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>)
MacBook-Pro-15:~ mike$

Dem Hippies.

Last edited:
Hmm, worded that funny. I'm always at the command-line in OSX. "Geeking out" means grabbing stuff that's not yet been ported to OSX over in Linux just to mess with bleeding edge things.

There's a lot of stuff that isn't ported, or isn't ported well... most tools to work with LDAP come to mind...

heh. You must be on Verizon. ;)

Nope, but I have a Verizon data card for when I am in less-populated areas. Guess that makes the point for you, don't it?

Nope, but I have a Verizon data card for when I am in less-populated areas. Guess that makes the point for you, don't it?

Heh. Whatever works. I'm on Verizon on iPhone now and company-paid Sprint for the USB data gadget.

Kinda glad to have AT&T out of my life for various reasons, but if they were the best coverage here, I'd use 'em. Not much difference between the carriers.

Back