Cool innovation

Troy Whistman said:
Interesting... would the same principle work in the air (small human-powered ultralight)?
I don't think it has the thrust for fixed wing, but I bet a variation with large fabric "fins" could work pretty well on a lighter-than-air in light winds.

Troy Whistman said:
Interesting... would the same principle work in the air (small human-powered ultralight)?

It worked on a radio controlled pterodactyl flying lizard-type-dinosaur prototype model with pliable membrane wings that was quite a bit below the weight of a conventional human & ultralight but, I don't know how high the gross weight could go.

On a different model built more like a conventional airplane, the flapping wings have taken it with pilot to about 50-60 mph... or just under flying in ground effect.

Last edited:
mikea said:
I don't think it has the thrust for fixed wing, but I bet a variation with large fabric "fins" could work pretty well on a lighter-than-air in light winds.

I think you are confusing thrust with power. In the link they spoke only of efficiency, certainly not thrust required and especially not power required for flight. In that they offer a new method of propulsion (occillating Vs rotary 'blades') the whole propulsive horsepower formula may need reworking.

Back