Cookies

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
I turn off browser cookies and set it to ask if I want to accept.
When I go to the avweb site, the accept/deny cookies box pops up 30 times before giving up.
If I have my browser set to accept all cookies, it only sets four or five cookies.
How does one communicate to the webmaster that NO means NO?

One doesn't. The web site will attempt to set cookies, quite often for your convenience so you don't have to log in every time. It has no way to remember who you are and not to set cookies.

Your browser, on the other hand, should have the ability to refuse cookies without giving you notices.

I turn off browser cookies and set it to ask if I want to accept.
When I go to the avweb site, the accept/deny cookies box pops up 30 times before giving up.
If I have my browser set to accept all cookies, it only sets four or five cookies.
How does one communicate to the webmaster that NO means NO?
Write to Scott Simmons: http://www.avweb.com/editorialstaff/

I've been choosing which cookies to save for a while and often times that means a website is not worth the hassle.

The problem is reduced if you can set up to not accept 3rd party cookies. Most of the cookies seem to be from ads or web tracking sites while most of the sites I visit save one or two.

Joe

The problem is reduced if you can set up to not accept 3rd party cookies. Most of the cookies seem to be from ads or web tracking sites while most of the sites I visit save one or two.

I am using Firefox 3 with 3rd party cookies unchecked.
I have "use my choice for all cookies from this site" checked.
Other times the site keeps reloading and will do so until I close the page.

I am using Firefox 3 with 3rd party cookies unchecked.
I have "use my choice for all cookies from this site" checked.
Other times the site keeps reloading and will do so until I close the page.
the only difference is I check "use my choice for all cookies from this site"

Granted sometimes I sit and click deny a hell of a lot to see the content.

It's a pain, I know.

Joe

Out of interest, why do those of you who set the browser to deny cookies do so?

Out of interest, why do those of you who set the browser to deny cookies do so?
To block tracking of my activities by entities I do not wish to share with and those who attempt to alter my computer without my consent.

defense-in-depth

To block tracking of my activities by entities I do not wish to share with and those who attempt to alter my computer without my consent.
It's not really "cookies" that do that. It is unintentionally downloaded software such as adware or spyware that may ride along with game installations or "helper" type applications. It is also done by intentionally downloaded toolbars or by joining certain "loyalty" shopping sites such as eBates, Upromise, OneCause, etc. Cookies are basically used to make site navigation more fluid and to make online shopping more intuitive and more secure.

There are far more dangerous "things" than cookies. If you watch video clips or flash displays, or if you have active-x enabled for gaming, or if you make use of javascript apps such as mortgage (or airplane financing) calculators, you may be much more at risk than by enabling cookies. If you use third-party email like Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail - there are "computers" watching what you do. Even if you don't use any of them but just "send" an email to a Gmail user, guess who has a "record" of every word you typed...when you typed it...and whom else you may have copied on that email... :confused:

There are far more dangerous "things" than cookies. If you watch video clips or flash displays, or if you have active-x enabled for gaming, or if you make use of javascript apps such as mortgage (or airplane financing) calculators, you may be much more at risk than by enabling cookies. If you use third-party email like Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail - there are "computers" watching what you do. Even if you don't use any of them but just "send" an email to a Gmail user, guess who has a "record" of every word you typed...when you typed it...and whom else you may have copied on that email... :confused:

As a followup to Bill's posting, there is a javascript called a "click-through" attack.
On a webpage, it presents you with a window offering a click box choice. In actuality, there is a second, unseen window that the click box is associated with.
Firefox has a plugin you can install to prevent click-through attacks.
Firefox 3 also offers you the choice of accepting third-party cookies.

I set IE to block all third party cookies and prompt first party.

Most people really have no idea what a cookie is. As a web developer, it is extremely frustrating to have people blocking your session cookie.

HTTP is a stateless protocol which means that the actual protocol which drives the web has no (decent) way to keep track of users, logging in, etc. There is some basic stuff like HTTP Basic authentication but no one really uses that.

All you can do in a cookie is set a name and a string. This name and string gets stored in the users system and then the web browser sends that name and string with every request. There isn't really much inherently dangerous about the string itself. Now, as an application developer, you have a way to track people on your site which is critical to having member areas, users, etc.

When you sign into a website, such as PoA, the application's logic looks at your username and password. If that username and password is correct it then sets a cookie with an authentication string. Now with every single web request you send (view page, view post, submit post, create thread, etc) that cookie is sent with the request. The application (vBulletin) looks at that cookie, knows who you are and knows that you're authorized to do the action and then permits it.

When people start blocking cookies you really lose the ability to authenticate the user and permit access to secured areas. You end up having to try and send a session string in the URL and inside the URL of every link on your page. It can be a PITA.

Most of the time a first-party cookie on a website is generally only being set to permit your access to some sort of members area or control functionality on the site which requires additional identification or tracking of your interactions.

Blocking a third-party cookie makes some sense. Many third-party cookies are being set on your computer by websites that are either getting paid or are using some service that tracks you. Now if two websites are using the same service that third-party enitity now knows that you visit both of those websites. They can essenitally start to build a database of who you are, what sites you go to, etc. This is valuable information that can be sold. These people are the ones who abuse cookies and there are few websites that participate in this sort of crap.

Personally I don't block any cookies and I'm also a user that is very 'security-aware'. It is difficult to really stop these sites from collecting information about you.

The scary stuff happens within javascript (cross-site scripting stealing your authentication cookie), flash (history of vulnerabilities which permits remote execution on your system), ActiveX (source of much spyware), etc. Problem is--it is really hard to get away without javascript or flash. All the new fancy applications depend on it.

Most cookies are harmless and are used for authentication and other benign purposes.

Other cookies are used for advertising purposes, which some people object to, but which I think is perfectly acceptable considering that the bulk of the Web is free and is paid for by advertising. Let the webmasters get their commissions. That's how most sites pay the rent.

Relatively few cookies are used for malicious purposes. But if even that small number bother you, then I suggest that you use something like CCLeaner to regularly delete all cookies except those you know to be safe and for which you have set exceptions. (CCleaner also cleans up a lot of other garbage in the process.)

-Rich

Back