Contour Flight Cam RNAV (GPS) 36

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Our flight school just bought a Contour Flight Cam for our flight school. It's designed especially for training flights to help students see weaknesses after they are on the ground that they might have not picked up in flight. We just took it up for some approach practice for my CFII cert. I was able to upload it online and not only see my own strengths and weaknesses (which does help even CFII applicants!) but also my GPS status! Right now we're also in the process of deciding if and how to mount it in the airplane so for now, we're just going to hold it. This particular approach was recorded beginning the final leg inbound. Check it out!

http://contour.com/stories/rnav-gps-36

I hate that the iPad does not like adobe flash. I'll have to wait until I get to the PC.

I'm using a Contour as well - thanks to Sporty's. So far I've found it pretty useful with students. I mainly use it with helmet mount, but I've also used it with a Ram mount...

Ryan

The going theory with ours is to mount it overhead between the seats but in such a way to angle it up, down, left and right and hopefully without hitting your head on it.

Most Very Excellent!

I got a Contour HD a couple of weeks back, and have been experimenting with my open-cockpit Fly Baby.

Here's a vid with the camera mounted on the axle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbCVqtrLRpc

Having a problem with vibration; with the engine running, I get rippling-ground effects. The above video is of a landing, so the effect is minimized. I'm working on a mount for the tiedown ring that'll get the camera further from the vibration source.

I mounted it on my helmet for the first trial, but the mounting put the camera pointed a bit too low. With all the rubbernecking in looking for other traffic, it's kind of distracting.

Also need some sunny days around here....

Ron Wanttaja

The rippling ground effect that you are talking about is probably the "jello vision" that CMOS based cameras inherently have problems with. A camera mount or location that has a good deal of vibration will intensify the "jello video" problem.

We use RAM mounts for all our camera kits, which does help eliminate some of the vibration but doesn't eliminate everything. CCD image sensors are the best for high frequency vibration applications, but unfortunately they are not available in HD....yet

Thanks,

Tim
www.flightcam360.com

Back