• American Champion Scout

Votes: 19 19.2%

• Total voters

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
Okay gentlemen you just won a contest and have the following five aircraft to choose from as your prize. Which one would you choose and why? Keep in mind they have all been fully restored and are in pristine condition.

1. 50's V- Tail Bonanza
2. Cessna 210 Centurion
3. Piper Apache
4. Socata TB-9
5. American Champion Scout

The Scout. I don't see the others being much fun for off airport operations or with floats or skis.
I might take one of the others instead if I know I could sell it for enough $$ to get something else that I prefer more than the scout. Other than that, 1-4 will get left behind.

Fully restored to what? Modern condition and avionics or their original model years?

Way too much info left out.

Put me down for the Centurion. I'm not all that enthused about a twin, or anything with tandem seats. The Bo would be tempting, but restored or not I'd rather have something a little newer for regular use. Don't get me wrong -- I own an old 50's classic Vespa scooter, but I don't expect it to be trouble free.

So that narrows it down to the Tampico or the Centurion. No contest, they're not even close. I'd take the Centurion, then sell shares to a partner or two to pay for avgas.

Scout then. The avionics and what not of the rest are way outdated. Rather take the fun simple airplane.

Put the Geronimo STC on the Piper, and I'd change my mind. Heh.

What? No RVs to pick from? :dunno:

What kind of contest would exclude the best aircraft? ;)

Scout (assuming the wood spar replaced with a metal spar).

why? More fun than the other aircraft.

I don't need an airplane for transportation.

Hands down, the Scout. Flying is more about the journey and the people you meet along the way then getting somewhere quickly, and I perfer grass runways too :D

210. I have a burning desire to load up a crap-ton of camping/fishing gear and head to the mountains. 210 should be able to do that fairly easily.

The 210 would be my choice...but only because I already own a vintage tailwheel to have fun with. If I didn't have the 170, I'd probably take the Scout.

In reality, I'd go with the 210 because of the planes listed, it would have the highest resale value and I could sell it and get something I'd like better, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the thread and poll, so I chose the Bo. It's not as capable as the 210, but it's just more my style and a lot cooler IMO.

Bizarre mix of planes as a prize though. How did you arrive at these types?

Easy choice. I'd take the Socata. I can't afford to maintain and fly it anyway, so I'd sell it, and use the proceeds to buy an A36 Bonanza, and have enough left over buy a second house on Maui.

I think the Scout would be the most fun. You can also buy a new one so there would be no restoring involved.

My thoughts mirror those of Dale -- The Centurion

((but I like Geico's proposal as well. Would LOVE a -10!))

I voted for the 210 and then was shocked to see the how many also voted for it. The 210 to me would be close to the ultimate personal aircraft. I consider the 210 a 1 ton truck with its payload and is very fast considering the other things it does well.

In reality, I'd go with the 210 because of the planes listed, it would have the highest resale value and I could sell it and get something I'd like better, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the thread and poll, so I chose the Bo. It's not as capable as the 210, but it's just more my style and a lot cooler IMO.

Bizarre mix of planes as a prize though. How did you arrive at these types?

Well I really wanted to include a broad mix of aircraft to make this hypothetical contest appeal to a broad range of members. I wanted to appeal to the fans of classic aircraft, hence the Apache and Bonanza, the functionality guys with the 210, the "Euro" crew with the Socata, and the back country/low and slow guys with the Scout.

Hands down, the Scout. Flying is more about the journey and the people you meet along the way then getting somewhere quickly, and I perfer grass runways too :D

Yeah, that, and it tows gliders also.

Scout then. The avionics and what not of the rest are way outdated. Rather take the fun simple airplane.

Good grief. It's a nice condition free airplane that's just being given to you. Take the one you're most interested in having.

Outdated. Sheesh. Remember that avionics of today is just computers. By the time it hits the market, it's outdated by at least two generations of the next whatever that's coming out in 45 minutes...

I know what I'd choose. But, I'm not eligible to participate.

Good grief. It's a nice condition free airplane that's just being given to you. Take the one you're most interested in having.

Outdated. Sheesh. Remember that avionics of today is just computers. By the time it hits the market, it's outdated by at least two generations of the next whatever that's coming out in 45 minutes...

You really want the 1950's avionics in that Bo? I don't care how "refurbished" they are, they're junk at this point.

That's why I asked.

Sorta makes me chuckle - the implication here is that the 210 is all new? No year / model given. Early 210s are pretty much a retract 182, narrow cabin. The newer 210 shares little with the older ones, except a name.

I have a T182T and the Centurion seems to be the next logical place to go. Though I love my plane.

However, to be fair I think Action Figure Model's idea is much much better.

Doug

Okay gentlemen you just won a contest and have the following five aircraft to choose from as your prize. Which one would you choose and why? Keep in mind they have all been fully restored and are in pristine condition.

1. 50's V- Tail Bonanza
2. Cessna 210 Centurion
3. Piper Apache
4. Socata TB-9
5. American Champion Scout

One or Two, I guess. Lemme think a bit more and get back to you.

Sorta makes me chuckle - the implication here is that the 210 is all new? No year / model given. Early 210s are pretty much a retract 182, narrow cabin. The newer 210 shares little with the older ones, except a name.

Okay let's say it's a totally restored 80's version of the 210.

An Extra 300 ... But that wasn't a choice

So I'd get the 210

Only a few were made in the 80's, and most were the same model (N) prior to even fewer R-models being produced. Most require very little updating other than replacing the GPS with current box.

Okay let's say it's a totally restored 80's version of the 210.

The results of this poll somewhat surprise me. I really thought the V-Tail Bonanza would be chosen over the 210 but was obviously wrong. Furthermore, I thought the fears of Cessna's retractable single would be a major issue but was mistaken.

Back