Considering new tricks in my old age

MajorTurbulence

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MajorTurbulence
When on IFR flight plans going into DXR coming back from Florida, I’m usually staying on routings more or less direct up the east coast. My last fuel stop is often planned within 100 miles of ORF. When IFR, but technically VMC while flying in New Jersey, I’m usually headed to Dixie intersection with ATC usually dropping me to 7000. I’m expecting that they will want me to descend further headed to Colts neck to pass west of the class B to avoid their heaviest traffic. If winds are strong, staying low is often uncomfortable. Most of the time if conditions are VMC, I cancel, climb to 7500 direct over JFK and direct to DXR on FF. However, if it is really IMC, I won’t cancel and be forced to fly what they want.

ATC will invariably want to use the Star routes into DXR for my arrival which gives them lots of options to spread incoming traffic for approaches. Because the RICED4 is far over water, that would be refused by me as an option for my PA28-181. I’ve never gotten the Valre5 arrival, although it shares some waypoints with the Nobbi5, which is the one almost exclusively given to me when arriving from the west.

So, if it’s really IMC going into NY airspace into DXR, knowing the arrivals ATC wants, I could plan my routing after ORF to be:

CCV V1 SBY V29 ENO PTW ETX HUO,

which gets me pretty much north. This gives ATC the ability to get me to IGN or more direct into DXR depending on arrival traffic. This gives me the ability to stay much higher in altitude where it is comfy until much closer to destination. The mileage difference is probably minimally more, especially considering what deviations are usually needed when truly IFR.

Back