Considering creating an aviation "vlog"

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I know there are lots of them...

My girlfriend and I have been playing around with making videos while we fly, and we thought we'd try making a video blog. We often fly around the Midwest, exploring, and we've found (as I'm sure everyone has found) that some destinations are very GA friendly, while others are down-right GA hostile. It seems like passing along the GA friendly ones would be something that others might want to know.
So last fall, we starting recording with the idea of actually making a vlog...we did this by talking about where we were going, what we saw there, the convenience, etc, then filming the trip. Trouble is, we recorded several trips without us editing anything into something usable because we figured we'd edit during the winter when the flying wasn't good. So this past winter we start editing, and that's when we found out just how much video it takes to make something worthwhile (I don't have much experience, but with one editing attempt, I used over 2 hours of shot video to compile a 10 minute "episode").

We recorded trips to Frankenmuth (66G), Mackinaw Island (MCD), the Kalamazoo Air Zoo (AZO) Jackson (JXN), Cleveland (BKL) and Put-In-Bay (3W2)...but unfortunately all were too short on footage, and we'll need to fly them all again. We had one trip that by chance we flew twice, a trip just to one of our favorite fly-in greasy spoons, "The Spikehorn", that we had barely enough footage, so I compiled a vlog on that one....Oh, and using other footage I also made an Intro.

Here are the two...would this be worthwhile? (By worthwhile I mean something GA pilots might watch?) I'm not usually the comedic type, see @SixPapaCharlie , so don't expect (intentional) laughs, and I'm not a wordy person, so a written blog isn't probably for me either, see @GMascelli ...

Last edited:
I know there is yet to be an "episode 1" because of the editing issues I mentioned above, but this is that trip to the greasy spoon "spikehorns", episode 2.

Excellent intro. Very professional!

I video almost all of my flights (see YouTube link in my sig) and have fun with it. I really enjoy my blog, helps document where we have traveled. I think the vlog is a great idea, provides new pilots a look at new places and good eats.

Going to subscribe now!

Back