Considering a Bonanza, looking for some help

Iceman21

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Iceman21
Ask your question on beechtalk.

All you are going to get here is a recommendation to buy a 210. Or a Mooney. And an admonishment for how you could be so crazy to buy a plane where the tail falls off.

Oh, all things being equal, I would buy the one with the IO470.

Yup.....:D

Mine has the newer engine....you're gonna want to understand the model and year you are buying. Some of those years are very different and have parts harder to find. The IO-470 is a newer engine than the "E225"....and preferable. IMHO

Each of those have unique ADs....get a mechanic who knows Bonanzas to compare and help with your selection. YMMV.

Last edited:
Not a doctor so I'll stay alive then, right?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I owned a '59 K35 for five years, upgraded to the same IO-470-N as in the 1961 N35 you're looking at. The N35 is a sweet airframe-engine combination -- still reasonably lightweight, big two-tank fuel system (big plus over the complex four tanks of the K35), and good performance. My K35 cruised at 155 KTAS at a hair under 11 gph LOP, even without any speed mods.

Highly recommended for anyone contemplating a Bonanza: (1) Membership in American Bonanza Society; and (2) read Flying The Beech Bonanza by John C. Eckalbar. It's an exhaustive analysis of the performance and handling characteristics of the Bonanza line, going far beyond what's in the factory manuals.

I went for the smaller E-185-8. A whimpy 185 hp / 140 KTS + aircraft. Even with the larger engine in the 47, you will be rpm (thus hp) limited to pretty much what I have.

What are your goals?

Cheap? Find a Cherokee.
A darn nice toy that can travel? The -35 (1947)
A super serious traveling machine? Go for the boring 470...

If you do get drawn to an early bonanza (-35 through the G35) you have to get Lew Guage's book from ABS. Lew's book has operational and maintenance items that ar a must. Also: GET THAT PROP CHECKED! And not just by anyone.

Beech talk is a must. I'll help where I can.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the E225 powered bonanzas as well. I know there is a prop AD but I thought many of them had been replaced with upgraded props?

What kind of performance can you expect. I'm guessing 150kts on 10gph? Haven't found a good answer.

I'm wondering about the E225 powered bonanzas as well. I know there is a prop AD but I thought many of them had been replaced with upgraded props?

What kind of performance can you expect. I'm guessing 150kts on 10gph? Haven't found a good answer.

Not super easy to answer without a model. Do realize we are talking about aircraft made from the late 40's through the 50's - old aircraft, and by aircraft standards...

The E225 has more HP - IF the airframe paperwork will allow for the higher RPM. My -35 is limited to 2050 RMP continuous. Other models up that RPM limit and somewhere around a C35 you can get full power out of the E225.

The original prop on mine was wooden. I only know of one flying today. Back in the 50's, the wooden ones were replaced by a aluminum one - what we now call the Beech 215 electric prop. It is a variable pitch prop and does not have a blue knob - just a toggle switch or a rheostat depending upon model. The 215 prop has zero ADs and just needs to be lubricated every 250 hours and inspected every 500 hours per Beech instructions. I have one and LOVE it. (Keep your blue knobs.)

BUT - they have not made these old props since the 50s (maybe the 60s). There are a couple of hydraulic prop conversion kits you can get, but they are a mixed bag. One has an AD you mention, and the other does not. Both require a patient mechanic that doesn't mind fiddling with the thing. This is one big reason I won't switch to the hydraulic.

The -35 DOES NOT have an engine upgrade option for a 470 or later continental. All the others do. The advantage of upgrading a A35 thru G35 to a 470 is you get a light airframe with a modern engine. Good for a fast and economical bird. Bad for CG in some cases. Again, varies by airframe a lot.

I typically run just shy of WOT (back to Lew's book if you would like to know why) and 2050RPM. Results in somewhere slightly above 140KTS depending upon time of year and altitude. Fuel burn is 10GPH - MOGAS (ok most of the time). (I have the smaller engine allowing me to burn 87 octane.) I hear C35 (and later) drivers getting over 150KTS on about 11GPH or so. They can run their E225s at a higher RPM. I know of a few that have been upgraded with a 520 that runs north of 200MPH true at altitude. Not sure of fuel burn.

These oldies are excellent on grass, nimble when the gear is retracted and can turn a 70MPH or a +100MPH landing into a beauty for onlookers. Stable and smooth operation. Definitely pleasing to look at. (I've came back to mine with people circling the oldie - definite ramp appeal and mine isn't polished.)

The -35 through the G35 is not for just anyone. If you have access to a mechanic that knows or is willing to learn these oldies, then you are in the running. All I can say is mine is not for sale.

I wouldn't worry about old lost logs, doesn't really matter as long as you have a good chunk of documented time, or if the plane was imported/exported with following paperwork.

Ask your question on beechtalk.

All you are going to get here is a recommendation to buy a 210. Or a Mooney. And an admonishment for how you could be so crazy to buy a plane where the tail falls off.

Oh, all things being equal, I would buy the one with the IO470.
Agree. (ask on BT)
Agree. (expect to be chided for even suggesting a Bo. And for calling it a Bo).
Agree. (Get the IO470; great engine).

Back