Conquering our fears.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I had been battling a wicked headache for about the previous five hours on Saturday. In that time I had been busy greeting pilots, talking with locals, and giving plane rides to people. One who tagged along on a fuel run that made so I could give others rides. Some so they could get some pictures of their camp, and of the town, and of a few local land marks. Some because the kids had never been in an airplane before. I was calling it a day for flying and had shut the engine down on the plane. The day was coming to an end and I was getting ready to head over to the Trails End Grill, grab some food, and knock back a few Crown and Cokes with some fellow pilots to finish off my long day. I walked from my plane, parked on the opposite side of the parking from 'tent city' where all the overnighters were when I was stopped by my dad asked how I was doing and then introduced me to someone.

Tom was a fairly unassuming individual, and we shook hands and said hello. He had heard the conversation between my dad and me about how I was beat and ready to call it a day, but had said he wanted to go for a plane ride. He had a camp in town right and pointed it out to me, right at the entrance to Prickett-Grooms. I was ready to tell him we could go up on Sunday or Monday but after a quick conversation I decided I could get in the plane one last time for the day. The Crown and Cokes would just have to wait.

The sun was low on the horizon and the wind had died down completely. I was just up, and knew the air was smooth - which is exactly what Tom needed on this ride. We got in the plane, and I opted to take off with the sun behind me. I had Tom latch the door, got leaned for maximum power and rolled us down the turf runway. I could see Tom was extremely nervous as he dipped his head forward, and shielded his eyes from the windscreen. I talked us through the take off, "Okay, airspeed alive, rotation speed..." and after we broke free from the ground and the rumbling of the turf on our tires stopped, I announced we were clear of all obstacles and he picked his head up and put his hands back down on his lap.

I made a nice slow turn to the left after climbing up a thousand feet, and got set up to land. Tom's only goal was to get up in the air and get back down again. He said how awesome this was, and how he really, really needed to do this even though all his friends thought he was absolutely crazy for doing so. I offered him the controls for a little bit, but he declined. A Cessna 182 was departing as I was setting up for a base leg so I elected to remain in the air for one more circle around the field. I decided I would change my landing just a little bit and thought it best to come in just a shade shallower than I normally do, and hold in a bit more power to make it as smooth as possible for him.

We entered a shallow turn to final and I set up to land by putting in my final notch of flaps. The Cherokee pitched slightly forward like it always does at that point, and my passenger again dipped his head forward and shielded his eyes. I became the automated annunciation system for the approach and announced our position to Tom as we proceeded down the approach path to touchdown. "Clear of trees, clear of utility pole, over the runway..." and pulled out the last 100 rpm of power. I held the nose off and bled off the last bit of airspeed as I used the float to make this as smooth as I could for him. Dad later said I put the plane down so smooth he didn't even hear the Cherokee's patented 'clunk, clunk' from the oleo struts resonating inside the wing when observing the landing from alongside the runway. Tom raised his head up after he heard the rumble of the grass under the wheels and pumped his fist saying "Yes! Yes!" as we finished our rollout to where I park my plane. I shut down the plane, and opened the latch on the door for Tom who just sat there for a minute and wiped his eyes and let out a deep breath and thanked me.

Pretty damn good for a guy whose last ride in small aircraft was with his best friend and was this one.

Wow, good story and glad Tom got back in the air. Thanks for that one last ride of the day.

Ed,

I heard about this while we were there but forgot to congratulate you. I really wish I couldve congratulated him! Leah and I talked about it on the way home. I don't know that if I had been in his situation I would've ever come close to wanting to fly again. Especially taking my first ride back at the scene of the accident.

El Conquistador (enjoy it now, it's only 'cause ya did such a good thing!),
Good on you for helping him with it. He was a mighty brave fellow, I reckon. Ya did good, there. ;)

Great, Ed. Seriously, you might just be the ultimate guy for aviation.

Wow.

Great, Ed. Seriously, you might just be the ultimate guy for aviation.

Wow.

AWWW NicK! Man, now you've done it... Ed's Head is going to be so Big N2212R won't be able to make weight and balance agian.

Seriously Ed, ya done a good thing.

Missa

Thanks, Ed.

Thanks for doing what you can to make the world of aviation a better place.

I hope that Tom was able to get what he needed to get out of this experience.

I can't believe that as a non-pilot, that guy got back into a small airplane. He's a brave, brave man.

Oh yeah, you done a good thing.

You da man. Kudos for the passenger. I know folks who won't go up in an aircraft because they heard about a crash.

I'll add my "good job" to the list. As someone who's been in his position, I can tell you that the first ride in another aircraft after surviving a crash is a real palm sweating experience! Good for you for making it extra smooth for him.

Very nice Ed. I hope you get it written up in the local paper.

I'll add my "good job" to the list. As someone who's been in his position, I can tell you that the first ride in another aircraft after surviving a crash is a real palm sweating experience! Good for you for making it extra smooth for him.

Awesome, Ed. I'm amazed, as others, that he got back in a "small plane" after his last flight ended in the death of his companion, at the SAME AIRPORT. Wow.

Question: did you know that was his experience BEFORE taking him for the ride? If so, were you concerned he might freak out?

Lisa: is there a story you've shared that I missed? If not, I'd like to hear it if you want to tell it.

Awesome, Ed. I'm amazed, as others, that he got back in a "small plane" after his last flight ended in the death of his companion, at the SAME AIRPORT. Wow.

Question: did you know that was his experience BEFORE taking him for the ride? If so, were you concerned he might freak out?

Lisa: is there a story you've shared that I missed? If not, I'd like to hear it if you want to tell it.

Yes, I knew before I gave him the ride. That was the small conversation that made me say, ok, I can deal with the headache for a little bit longer. But I had to save the hook for the end of the write up. He was nervous, and my dad warned him that I am also a martial arts instructor, so if he did freak out, it would not be in his best interest. He laughed about it and said not to worry. I think that might have even helped relax him a little. Some aura about being more 'cool' under pressure being in martial arts? :dunno:

Last edited:
nothing personal Ed, but the real amazing part is that he really put his life in the hands of a complete stranger in a small airplane. It amazes me that people do that all the time with absolutely no idea of how good of a pilot anyone is. This is not the case with you of course, but how was he to know? Ive always found it incredible that the general public always assumes that any pilot is always highly trained and proficient.

Great job Ed. I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping people get over their fears of "small" planes, but this was extra special.

Wow, Lisa. You're amazing... not everyone can pick it up, start over, and as this thread is titled, conquer their fears. Pleasure to know you!

Double the Wow, Lisa. Glad you over came your fears. Looks like you had a good instructor too.

Missa

Thanks Troy and Missa. I did have a wonderful instructor back then (unfortunately, he was later killed in a plane crash with an ME student).

He wasn't the first one that got me back in a plane though. A friend of mine that flew for Ft Worth PD called to check on me after the accident. I made him promise that as soon as I could walk without crutches, he'd come get me and get me back in the air so I could see for myself that I could do it. About six weeks later, he came got me, and we went up in his 172. He did just like Ed. It was early morning, nice and calm, and he took things nice and easy. I couldn't breath during the take off, but after leveling out in the pattern, it got easier. After a while, he let me take the yoke and do some shallow turns, some easy climbs and decents.. having control made me feel a LOT better. By the end of the flight, I wasn't ready to land because I was having so much fun. Stalls in training later was a whole different story though!

Lisa, I'm glad to know you're flying in spite of some ugly critter trying to keep ya down. You're healthy and I'm sure a better pilot for it.

Ed, is this a picture of you landing on this flight? It was taken on Saturday evening.

Attachments

• P9010010.jpg
    P9010010.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 24
God bless you Ed, For you Know that is excactly the big mans Plan. It is funny how it works when people need help and you just happened to be there.

Lisa That is an amazing story. I have been thrown by horses, I have had them roll over on me and I still keep riding them.
But I fell off a 30ft ladder once and I am still scared to death of ladders. Even the 3ft step ladders. I have to admit you story make me feel like a sissy over my ladder accident.
Your story is really amazing and would be great written up as an article.

Jon

Not to knock Ed's excellent gesture (and smooth landing), but Tom's the "hero" in this story... what he did took real guts.

Back