Connection problem with everything but Firefox

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
In the last week or so I have been having considerable problems with connecting to the internet using most anything but Firefox. Firefox works absolutly fine, in fact I notice no change with it, but my wife prefers IE8 (Windows Vista, BTW), and it doesn't work at all any more. I attacted the photos below so you can see what it's doing.

The first is when it tries to load the home page (NOAA point forecast), the second is after typing in Google, the third is Google a second time. The fourth is trying to load a website in Google Chrome. It doesn't matter what website I attempt, they all end the same.

The problem is two fold: 1) my wife prefers IE, so I won't stop hearing about this until it's fixed, and 2) there are a couple of web pages I use for work that will only load in IE.

Firefox works fine, but neither IE nor Chrome work at all. AOL IM works fine, but Google Earth tells me it's unable to contact the server. Skype and UTorrent both work just fine, too.

I am quite perplexed.

Attachments

• IE Homepage.jpg
    IE Homepage.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IE google.jpg
    IE google.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IE google 2.jpg
    IE google 2.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Google chrome.jpg
    Google chrome.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 10
Dollars to doughnuts, your proxy got enabled.

Within Internet Explorer:
Tools > Internet Options > Connections Tab
Click LAN Settings
Ensure that use a proxy server checkbox is unchecked.

Dollars to doughnuts, your proxy got enabled.

Within Internet Explorer:
Tools > Internet Options > Connections Tab
Click LAN Settings
Ensure that use a proxy server checkbox is unchecked.

Right on the money! Damn that was easy. How the hell does something like that accidentally get selected??

Right on the money! Damn that was easy. How the hell does something like that accidentally get selected??
Do you use Cisco AnyConnect by any chance?

Holy crap, I actually was the first to solve an internet issue here. Go me! :D

Nope. Not that I know of, anyways.

Go you, indeed, first and quite quickly! :cheerswine:

Might wanna do a good spyware/av sweep on your system.

Some of them like to set proxies so all your traffic goes through the malware author's servers, and setting a proxy is a great way to do that.

Might wanna do a good spyware/av sweep on your system.

Some of them like to set proxies so all your traffic goes through the malware author's servers, and setting a proxy is a great way to do that.

That was the first thing I did. Adaware, spybot, and Avast. 8 hours of scans yesterday.

That was the first thing I did. Adaware, spybot, and Avast. 8 hours of scans yesterday.

Sometimes the programs remove the malware and the actual proxy entries, but don't re-set the configuration. You wind up with empty proxy entries. Kind of like missing rungs on a ladder, in overly simplistic terms. Happens all the time.

-Rich

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Back