Connecting a Ethernet Switch to a Router.

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
A few days ago I ordered a Cradlepoint CTR-350 Router and a Netgear FS105v2 Ethernet Switch so I could hook up my home computer, and share the Internet Connection with my Xbox 360, and my Brothers Laptop.

How do I hook the Router to the Ethernet Switch? Just plug the Ethernet cord from the Router to the Ethernet switch, then hook all my other devices in the Switch??

Last edited:
Pretty much, you run a cable from one of the switch ports to the ethernet port on the back of the router.

You may need a cross-over cable to connect the switch to the router, or a regular patch cable might work, depending on how the router's ethernet port is pinned, and whether it's auto-sensing (in which case either kind of cable will work).
-harry

Thanks for yalls help guys!! Just what I was looking for!

Pretty much, you run a cable from one of the switch ports to the ethernet port on the back of the router.

You may need a cross-over cable to connect the switch to the router, or a regular patch cable might work, depending on how the router's ethernet port is pinned, and whether it's auto-sensing (in which case either kind of cable will work).
-harry

You shouldn't. A router is an end-point in terms of the switch. Generally, when you connect two switches, you need crossover or auto-sensing, but not with routers.

You shouldn't. A router is an end-point in terms of the switch. Generally, when you connect two switches, you need crossover or auto-sensing, but not with routers.
Yes, that's the traditional convention, but given that a broadband router is most typically connected directly to a single PC, it wouldn't be unheard of to pin the port like a switch, to allow it to be connected directly to that one host with a standard patch cable.
-harry

I got the router and Ethernet switch all hooked up today and it works great. The connection seems faster than it was before.

Anyway, Thanks to everyone who helped.

Back