Congratulations to Ted!

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
Congratulations to Ted!

Ted called me this afternoon to let me know he successfully removed the prefix of student from his pilot certificate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted, remember that just because you no longer have to ask someone permission to go somewhere that you are done learning. The PPL is a licence to learn!

Now, I’m off to go schedule the Archer before Ted monopolizes it for the next year.

Missa

P.S. I hate you just a little knowing you were at or just over minimum hours. :blowingkisses:

Last edited:
Attaboy Ted! Now go out there and do some flying just for the heck of it.

Congratulations Ted! :cheerswine:

Now on to the multi and the Aztec. :)

Way to go Ted! Now which are you gonna do first, PP-AMEL or IA?

Actually I think the first thing on his adgenda will be to get a check out in the club's archer. He's commented on how much he likes that and how he doesn't want to fly the Cessna any more now that he is no longer restricted to the Cessna.

CONGRATS TED, let me know when your coming my way . i'll meet you at Carlisle, or Reigle both are nice little strips.

Dave G:blueplane:

P.S. i wouldn't fly a Cessna either (LOL)

Congratulations Pilot Ted! Looking forward to seeing you add that "IA" on the Certificate!

Thanks for the congratulations from everyone! :)

The check ride was an adventure. I woke up at 7 this morning to go to the airport. The past few days the weather had been looking marginal. This morning, it looked good when I looked out the window. Got to the airport, preflighted the plane, and my instructor and I looked at the weather for KSEG (where the test was to be held) and saw it was too bad to go. We called the examiner, and we all waited out the weather for about 2 hours, after which it was fine. I flew down, did the test, and came back.

I was certain I'd failed. Not because I screwed up anything, I thought I was doing alright. What was different about this was that the examiner was actually not just testing me, but also teaching me. Normally, if an examiner teaches me, it means I failed. Flying, it seems, is different in that respect.

At the end of it all, he issued me my temporary airman's certificate, and I flew back up to IPT, very happy.

What are the plans from here in terms of ratings/endorsements? In order:

1) Get checked out in the Archer
2) Get my high performance
3) Get my complex
4) Get the instrument ticket (may be started in working on any of the above, especially if trips are involved)
5) Get my AMEL
6) Buy the twin

I still intend on getting a twin, but thanks to the insurance regs, I am going to start by building a bunch of hours, and using my license to travel a lot and build experience just flying what planes are available to me. I'll then buy the plane when the time is right, but that time is not right now. At the rate I'm going, I am thinking it will be another 1-2 years. Hopefully a bit over a year, we'll see. I am not going to rush anything.

As for now, time to get up there and learn more! :)

Outstanding, Ted!

The DPE with whom I have had both checkrides thus far was always teaching while he tested. It was enjoyable stuff.

In checkrides, always remember: if the DPE has not told you that you failed, you're still game-on.

Yay Ted!!! Congratulations!!

As for now, time to get up there and learn more! :)

One of the many great things about flying is that there are always more challenges if one is willing to take them on. There are endless possibilities for the opportunity to learn something new. :yes:

I was certain I'd failed. Not because I screwed up anything, I thought I was doing alright. What was different about this was that the examiner was actually not just testing me, but also teaching me. Normally, if an examiner teaches me, it means I failed. Flying, it seems, is different in that respect.

Well, since the vast majority of DPE's have been chosen from the very very best experienced instructors, even though they're not supposed to teach you during the ride, you just can't help but learn something from them. That's probably my favorite part of checkrides.

Congrats, Ted!

My advice would be to start working on those cross-country trips toward those 50 PIC XC hours required for the Instrument Rating. I found it fun to visit airports on the GoFlyAmerica website. If you can find a safety pilot to go with you, you could even do those under the hood, and log them as simulated instrument hours.

If you want to fly to a nice grass strip, come visit me at PA92 (58 nm from IPT). We have a Cabela's store 2 miles away. They will even come and pick you up if you call ahead and promise to spend money in their store! Send me a PM if you want to come, since it's a private strip. (This goes for any other POAers)!
________
Honda GL1500A

Last edited:
If you want to fly to a nice grass strip, come visit me at PA92 (58 nm from IPT). We have a Cabela's store 2 miles away. They will even come and pick you up if you call ahead and promise to spend money in their store! Send me a PM if you want to come, since it's a private strip. (This goes for any other POAers)!
Hey! I flew right over your place on my grass strip tour last May. I would have stopped in if I would have known about your grass strip.

You da man, Ted!

If you're like me, the first question is "Now, what?" :D

I will definitely be doing lots of XC time. See the thread I'm about to post in Flight Following. :)

Congrats, Ted!

My advice would be to start working on those cross-country trips toward those 50 PIC XC hours required for the Instrument Rating. I found it fun to visit airports on the GoFlyAmerica website. If you can find a safety pilot to go with you, you could even do those under the hood, and log them as simulated instrument hours.

I have no idea where Ted might find a saftey pilot... :rolleyes: Do you Ted???? ;)

Sorry we can't come to your feild if it's a private grass strip... at least not easilyin a club plane. Stupid club rules. No Private grass feilds without prior approval. Evidently that rule was enacted when someone almost banged up a plan going into a very challenging strip near IPT. However Farmers Pride and Grimes should also be prity close by too.

Missa

Last edited:
Thankfully, I have many safety pilots around I can choose from, as Missa hinted at. :)

I'm supposed to fly down to Sun-n-Fun with a coworker who is also a pilot, and I'm going to try to do as much of that as possible as hood time to get that practice in. It will be a great way to log a bunch of PIC XC hours and also simulated instrument time.

I'm going to continue plugging away at ratings and endorsements for a while yet, and have as much fun doing it as I can. :)

I'm supposed to fly down to Sun-n-Fun with a coworker who is also a pilot, and I'm going to try to do as much of that as possible as hood time to get that practice in. It will be a great way to log a bunch of PIC XC hours and also simulated instrument time.

Ted,

I'd suggest you NOT do a nice long trip like that under the hood - Not because it wouldn't count or be worthwhile toward your IR, but because you'll ALWAYS learn a lot on those long trips and see a lot of neat things you won't normally get to see. It'd be a shame to miss all of that because you were under the hood!

Signed,

A guy who wishes he hadn't been under the hood for half of his first long cross country...

Good point, Kent. I'll probably try to get some hood time, but also look out the window. :)

Sorry we can't come to your feild if it's a private grass strip... at least not easilyin a club plane. Stupid club rules. No Private grass feilds without prior approval. Evidently that rule was enacted when someone almost banged up a plan going into a very challenging strip near IPT. However Farmers Pride and Grimes should also be prity close by too.

Missa

Yes, Grimes (8N1) is close, too. But I'll say that our grass strip is just as nice or nicer than Grimes.

The other option would be Reading (RDG), a class D towered airport. I think Cabela's would pick you up there, too, but you'd probably have to promise to spend more money in their store than if they came down the road to pick you up here! :p
________
BMW R1100R

Last edited:
Yes, Grimes (8N1) is close, too. But I'll say that our grass strip is just as nice or nicer than Grimes.

The other option would be Reading (RDG), a class D towered airport. I think Cabela's would pick you up there, too, but you'd probably have to promise to spend more money in their store than if they came down the road to pick you up here! :p

I love the Bargen cave... I usually can find something in there to buy!

It doesn't matter how nice the strip is... until we get "prior permission" from the club Board of Directors we can't land there unless is public use.

Missa

Back