Congrats to Sofia!

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I've been remiss in posting some of student's accomplishments lately but I have to make note of this one.

I just got off the phone from the examiner for my first student to go under the new ACS guidelines for check rides. This young lady aspires to fly for the airlines and has already been accepted into a university program.

I don't think I've ever heard such a glowing report about a candidate before. She nailed it. He said she was very well prepared for her oral (she studied really hard and had me grill her for three hours last weekend), stating that in most check rides the examiner is waiting on the applicant but with how well she prepared she was coupled with him consulting the new ACS guide to make sure he was being compliant, she was waiting on him most of the time. Because of ACS transition he said the oral took longer than normal but she nailed every aspect, giving her a 98% on the oral.

As for the flying, he said her personality is perfectly suited to being a professional pilot. She goes after things aggressively, yet methodically with a high degree of precision (probably why she's headed to college on a hockey scholarship!) She nailed the cross-country portion, handled the diversion without an issue, then nailed the air work. She wanted to hold the power-on stall to the break rather than recovering at the onset. That's my bad...we practiced both ways just so she was confident in recovering with the rudder. I should have emphasized the recovery at the first indication for the ride.

I'm thrilled. The credit goes to a delightful, bright, hard-working young lady who is going to go far in aviation. I count it a privilege having had the opportunity to teach her.

Attachments

• PoinarSofia_PvtPilot_Web.jpg
    PoinarSofia_PvtPilot_Web.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 172
Is the DPE standing in a wind tunnel? Grats to student sounds like a sharp one.

That hair is priceless. Wonder what he looked like before the flight.

PA.VII.C.S6 6. Recognize and recover promptly after a fully developed stall occurs.

Seems the ACS calls for recovery after the break.

Congrats to both of you!
And like others, hockey players and female pilots (and especially the combination) get extra credit in my book too! :)

PA.VII.C.S6 6. Recognize and recover promptly after a fully developed stall occurs.

Seems the ACS calls for recovery after the break.

That's what I recalled. I need to review with the DPE. We practice both.

Congrats to her! That pic is hilarious haha. Hockey and aviation...hmmm I wonder if I know what university.

Great! Congratulation to both of you. I really impressed by her.

Congrats to you and the student!
I think he poked his head out the window while taxiing in. :D I was on a trip so couldn't be there, but that's my guess.

That DPE is one of the best in the business. The nicest gentleman you can meet!! Did my Private with him and attempted my Instrument with him as well.

That's really nice of you to create this photo with the text for her! What a great souvenir!

Congrats to you and the student!

That DPE is one of the best in the business. The nicest gentleman you can meet!! Did my Private with him and attempted my Instrument with him as well.

Yes he is. If I recall correctly he has a masters in educational psychology or something similar. He's very sharp and understands how people learn. I have the utmost respect for him.

Back