CONDO FOR SALE IN ST MAARTEN OVERLOOKING THE FAMOUS JULIANA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT!

Re: CONDO FOR SALE IN ST MAARTEN OVERLOOKING THE FAMOUS JULIANA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

THE FOLLOWING IS A BIT OF INFO ABOUT BUYING PROPERTY IN ST MAARTEN:

The following are Frequently Asked Questions and a general guide on what purchasers should be aware of when buying property in Dutch St. Maarten and French St. Martin.

Q:
What is Sint Maarten/St. Martin like?
A: Dutch St. Maarten has a population of around 32,000, with a wide mix of some 86 nationalities and languages. English is the predominant language, with Dutch the official language. If you are coming from the United States or Canada, you will find Dutch St. Maarten very comfortable, with many familiar business names like Fedex, McDonalds, Burger King, Dominos Pizza, etc. French St. Martin has a population of approximately 28,000 and the official language is French. It has a very European feeling, and the grocery stores, bakeries and restaurants provide a true gourmet experience to complement the commodities and comfort of Dutch St. Maarten.
Q: Is there good shopping?
A: St. Maarten is a Duty Free Port. For this reason every year hundreds of the worlds most famous private yachts and sailing ships arrive to fill their stocks prior to sailing in the Caribbean for the winter season. As a result there are HUGE warehouse outlets which specialize in providing duty free priced wines, champagnes, liquors, foods and every possible delicacy or convenience you could imagine! There is also a good number of furniture outlets for furnishing homes and villas for every taste and there are large and well stocked hardware stores for paint, supplies, etc that might be needed.
Q: Can I import things easily?
A: Very easily! Tropical Shipping from Miami and Toronto specializes in container and smaller shipments and most internet and US stores will drop ship directly to them in Miami for forwarding to St. Maarten. By ship it takes 3-5 days from Miami. Check first locally before bringing items in; St. Maarten is Duty Free and especially for electronics such as large flat panel TV's, etc the prices on Front Street in Philipsburg are usually lower than those that you would get at a US big box store for the exact same item.
Q: Can Foreign Individuals and Corporations own property?
A: Either, on Dutch St. Maarten quite often Corporations are used to hold property for tax structuring purposes as well as ease of transfer. On French St. Martin a corporation may also hold property but the tax and transfer advantages are less significant.
Q: Are there restrictions on the purchase of property in St. Maarten/St. Martin by persons who are non-citizens or permanent residents?
A: No, any foreign entity or individual can own property on both sides of the island. Individuals must provide at minimum a passport and entities must provide articles of incorporation/association and complete resolutions; either is protected by the laws of the Netherlands Antilles and France.
Q: Will I require an Attorney?
A: No, local notaries act in accordance with Netherlands Antilles & French civil law when transferring property from the seller to the purchaser with a long established and well-structured process. Disclosure of the type of deed is made to the purchaser. The notary assures free and clear title; if mortgages are required, he/she would register the mortgage as well as the deed with the Kadaster (City Hall). Of course you may always have your lawyer act on your behalf if this comforts you.
Q: Is there a minimum required deposit amount to initiate a purchase:
A: Yes, a non-refundable 10% deposit is required for payment when signing the purchase agreement. This is a binding contract. The seller's notary holds the deposit in escrow except for pre-construction purchases, in which case the developer has the right to use all deposits for the financing of the project/development. The balance of the sale price must be paid to the seller's notary on completion of the purchase.
Q: What types of deeds are there in Dutch St. Maarten?
A: There are three Types:
Fee simple
Government Long Lease
Private Long Lease
Q: What types of deeds are there in French St. Martin?
A: There are only Fee Simple deeds in St. Martin.
Q: Are closing costs a set fee?
A: No, when purchasing a property in your name closing costs in Dutch St. Maarten are approximately 5% of the purchase price which consists of the transfer tax and Notary fees. A corporation can also purchase a property and would also pay 5%. If purchasing the shares of an existing corporation, which owns the property, there would be no transfer tax. In French St. Martin, individual closing costs are approximately 10%. Corporations can hold properties on the French side, but there are additional taxation and residency requirements we would be happy to discuss.
Q: Are there annual Property taxes in St. Maarten/St. Martin?
A: Currently there are no annual property taxes as well as no capital gains tax in Dutch St. Maarten; however, in contrast properties on the French side are subject to “traditional” property taxes based on an annual assessment.
Q: How long can a non-resident which owns property remain on St. Maarten?
A: Generally 3 months on a tourist visa at which time non-residents must leave the island for a minimum of 24 hour period.

Hope that is of interest.

Tom

Last edited:
Re: CONDO FOR SALE IN ST MAARTEN OVERLOOKING THE FAMOUS JULIANA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

So what do you fly there, Tom? How are the aviation regs vs. the US?

Hi Mike,

I don't fly myself but I am fascinated by aircraft design and their capabilities. I was lucky enough to travel to Washington D.C. with my dad on a business trip when i was about 9 years old and from all the original pieces and stories of flight that captured me it was Chuck Yeager speed attempt in the Bell X-1 that got me. He was a real pioneer that pushed supersonic flights to its absolute limit at a time when the technology was pretty new and not fully understood.

I drive home most days past the jet blast section of the beach and as i wait for the big Boeing 777 to take off and you feel and hear the power of the jet engines i really dont have a yearn to be in the cockpit but i can admire the thrill of it and how we got this far.
Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for. I am helping a friend with the sale of his apartment here and i thought that this forum would be a good way to do it seeing as the property has really probably the best view on the island to watch the jets come in. I have had an really enjoyable time chatting with all of the other people on this site so anything else is a bonus i guess.

With regards to the aviation regs. I pulled this from the internet. Its probably not what you're looking for but if you give me some specifics then i would be happy to source them for you.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/01/...ghts-not-affected/?feedsort=more#.URrt0vJOSs0

If you have our own plane perhaps you could make it down here, but LA is a bit of a trek. You would certainly get a warm welcome and we could go and crack a beer on the balcony of the condo...i highly recommend the view!

Maybe it will be sold though :wink2:

Thanks for the question.

Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager

P.S. St Maarten is also very good for yacht spotting as well, as I'm sure Mr Henning Heineman will tell you! :yes:

Just to let any new or current viewers know, this property will be off the sale market from April 1st this year as the owner will be returning to the states and he has rented the property until his return in October.

Any enquiries between now and then will be addressed and the property is open to view between now and that date.

As ever, i am happy to help in any way i can....just let me know what you might need.

Thank you

N.B. If the property is sold before then the contract for the tenants will be nullified by the current owner and all fees from this will be incurred by him. If the property is sold and the new owner is happy with renting the property for the term until October then all proceeds shall go to the new owner.

Last edited:

Another individual wrongly convinced that pilots are all wealthy. Out of curiosity, what other types of message boards have you spammed? Please don't be offended by these comments. I'm truly curious to know why you chose to advertise here and where else you may have. We all know the general population views pilots as wealthy so it's only natural that you see this place as a target rich environment.

My guess is that many of those actively involved here don't have a primary residence of much greater value than your offered vacation property and the $585/mo dues are likely not that far from some peolpes primary mortgage payments.

Another individual wrongly convinced that pilots are all wealthy. Out of curiosity, what other types of message boards have you spammed? Please don't be offended by these comments. I'm truly curious to know why you chose to advertise here and where else you may have. We all know the general population views pilots as wealthy so it's only natural that you see this place as a target rich environment.

My guess is that many of those actively involved here don't have a primary residence of much greater value than your offered vacation property and the $585/mo dues are likely not that far from some peolpes primary mortgage payments.

Pilot message boards like this have some of the highest pay-per-paint advertising rates on the internet. I seem to recall one demographic beating out pilots when it comes to what marketing departments are willing to spend their budget on. In other words, there's a little truth to it. As much as I hate marketing, they don't waste money on being "wrongly convinced". I could be wrong, I've never seen the statistics for this site, but my guesstimation is if they wanted to push it, it would be worth ~10K or so per month in advertising revenue alone. Here's a little insight.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56032

OP aint as crazy as you think he is. :D It really does take a little disposable income to fly recreationally.

Last edited:

Looks like a great view of the runway!
Is this the view from the actual room?

8414942945_c5dd509783_z_d.jpg

There's two things missing from this picture if you're really serious about selling this place.
1) There's no picture of a plane landing.:(
2) This is the most important of the missing items, there's no hotties by the pool for me to use my binoculars on.:wink2:

Last edited:

That "condo" used to be the Concord Hotel, I stayed in there with my parents when I was 14 years old for a 7 days vacations, so I guess that building is probably 40 years old or older?
:yikes:

Looks like a great view of the runway!
Is this the view from the actual room?

8414942945_c5dd509783_z_d.jpg

There's two things missing from this picture if you're really serious about selling this place.
1) There's no picture of a plane landing.:(
2) This is the most important of the missing items, there's no hotties by the pool for me to use my binoculars on.:wink2:

Hello,

This is the view from the condo and i do have some photos of a couple of smaller jets landing. I will have to dig them out for you but i will go again to the unit to get some proper shots. As for the scantily clad women, i dont think i would get a great response from taking some photos of them...but you never know i might get an unexpected response :wink2:. I will ensure that the owner includes his binos with the sale of the condo for both kinds of birdspotting!

In the meantime you can head to the gallery of sunset beach bar, about 2 minutes walk away....where topless women drink for free! :yikes:

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/gallery

You will get me in trouble with my good lady if she sees this post!

Enjoy

N.B. Keep checking for extra photos

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. I havent "spammed" any other sites. I found this site through a google search for pilots classifieds and posted it in the classifieds or for sale section. Is this wrong?

I didnt assume that most pilots are loaded with disposable cash i only wanted to show the property to a wider audience but at the same time focus on another niche market that would be interested in a property with a unique view over a unique airport. Perhaps i got the wrong end of the stick but so far i have had a decent response on the property so i guess there are still some folk with a few beans out there who can also see potential in an investment home in the Caribbean

With regard to the H.O. fee, i agree on face value it is quite a high fee to factor in every month but if you consider that it includes all of your electricity, water rates, building insurance, grounds & pool maintenance, exterior cleaning, daily garbage disposal, 24 hour security and even clean towels daily its not too bad (including the fairly expensive electricity here is a big point)

I think the logic of the resort is to make it all inclusive for investors so that they can buy a unit and not worry about being in the States or Canada and having to pay monthly bills from their country of residence and they can rent the properties out knowing that their tenants will only consume what they wish but only pay their monthly H.O fee.

It is also worth considering what current owners are receiving for there units as vacation rentals. Below is an example from a vacation rentals website for weekly rates on 1 or 2 bed units on the second floor (thats a guess, it looks like a second floor unit...so dont quote me)

http://www.sunnyvillaholidays.com/saintmartin/j/la_terrace.html

Its around about $250 per night for high season and Maho is a hot location for tourists as it is close to everything you could need and its a fun place to be. I live nearby and i love it, I only use my car for work as i can walk everywhere i want to go to. Perhaps it would be a good idea to anyone who might purchase the property to advertise it as a holiday rental on this website. Its a very good forum for it with nice people and i understand that pilots also like sun, sea and sand as well as the odd airplane.

Thanks again

Apologies but i just realized that i have the condo on another website which you can also view here:

http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/advertise-41501-0-0-STUNNING+ONE+BED+CONDO+++ST+MAARTEN

Sorry for the misinformation...my mistake.

Last edited:

That "condo" used to be the Concord Hotel, I stayed in there with my parents when I was 14 years old for a 7 days vacations, so I guess that building is probably 40 years old or older?
:yikes:

Hello,

Thanks for the post. I am under good authority that this is the same location as the old Concorde Hotel but an entirely different construction. To the best of my knowledge the property is completely different building altogether.

I can produce the deed if you would like. The construction is from 2004.

You did help me learn a little history of the place as i wasnt here 30/40 years ago. Couldnt find any photos online either but i would be interested to see one if you have it.

Thanks again

Pilot message boards like this have some of the highest pay-per-paint advertising rates on the internet. I seem to recall one demographic beating out pilots when it comes to what marketing departments are willing to spend their budget on. In other words, there's a little truth to it. As much as I hate marketing, they don't waste money on being "wrongly convinced". I could be wrong, I've never seen the statistics for this site, but my guesstimation is if they wanted to push it, it would be worth ~10K or so per month in advertising revenue alone. Here's a little insight.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56032

OP aint as crazy as you think he is. :D It really does take a little disposable income to fly recreationally.

Thanks for your input...i think you have my back on that one. A cold one on me if you are ever down this way :wink2:

Thanks for your question. I havent "spammed" any other sites. I found this site through a google search for pilots classifieds and posted it in the classifieds or for sale section. Is this wrong?
No, you didn't do anything wrong. I suspect that the person who questioned you was more interested in what lead you to select pilots as the target demographic. I think that it's a pretty good fit, personally.

Thanks for the input Grant, i appreciate it. As i said in a previous post there really is a fine bunch of people on this thread and i enjoy all of their feedback. I dont want to upset anyone though if they think i might be doing something in the wrong manner. My intentions are genuine.

Thanks again for your message.

Tom

POA group buy? How many shares would that work out to? :D

Well i know of a couple on here you could probably count out, so all the more for the rest of you guys..:rofl:

POA group buy? How many shares would that work out to? :D

Tempting. A one-week slice being appx $5500 with dues of $135/yr.

Tom,

Personally I would much rather read this thread and dream about looking at that view from my new condo balcony than read yet another political post or recap of the latest news headline !

Thank you..

Tom,

Personally I would much rather read this thread and dream about looking at that view from my new condo balcony than read yet another political post or recap of the latest news headline !

Thank you..

Thanks for the comment, but you could consider this how about having the best of both worlds...both Lilat & Insel Air are hiring at the moment:

http://www.liat.com/navSource.html?page_id=117

http://www.fly-inselair.com/about#Carreer

You get the job and we can celebrate on the balcony of your rathers swish new condo.....just a thought :wink2:

I thought i would include a rundown of the basic earnings that any buyer might receive from renting out the condo for vacation rentals.

Quoted from a local property management firm:

[FONT=&quot]"A conservative estimate most owners who have their condos in the vacation rental program have their units occupied for 30 weeks of the year. This is of course not a guarantee, as I cannot give that but I can safely say 30 weeks a year is normal.” Base the following figures on 10 weeks high season and 20 weeks low season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A 1 bedroom, 5th floor unit will rent for $190 p.n. in high season and $160 p.n. in low season[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 weeks = 70 days[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20 weeks = 140 days[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 bed unit : 70 x 180 = 12,600[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 140 x 150 = 21,000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gross Total : 33,600[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minus : 7020 (h.o.a fee)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]= 26,580[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minus : 5% Government Room Tax which is 1329[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Net total : $25,251 per annum[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]N.B. All amounts are in USD.[/FONT]

Hope that might be useful for any folks.

Hope that might be useful for any folks.

Not really, since it doesn't account for cleaning, repairs, management or a number of other issues that might crop up in a rental property. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks for the comment and the good wishes.

Details such as this is why you employ a property manager. They will handle the day to day management of the property such as cleaning and basic maintenance (changing light bulbs etc.)

if you need a handyman for painting or whatever i would recommend this:

http://www.yellowpages-sxm.com/

Thanks again

Tom

Last edited:

by the way the management company splits the proceeds 70/30 your favor.

thanks

How goes the advertising? Any serious pilot prospects materialize yet? Curious why you don't post this on some fishing forums? There are a lot more fishermen than pilots. If a pilot would be enticed by the view of the runway, it stands to reason that a fisherman would be equally as enticed by the proximity to the water.

Does the perception of the affluence of the pilot vs. the fisherman have anything to do with the answer to the question? I guess I just don't believe the ONLY reason you targeted pilots is because of the runway view. Again it doesn't upset or offend me that you've listed your property here. I does me no harm. I was just hoping to learn something substantial about why you targeted your advertising toward aviators.

Curious why you don't post this on some fishing forums? There are a lot more fishermen than pilots. If a pilot would be enticed by the view of the runway, it stands to reason that a fisherman would be equally as enticed by the proximity to the water.
I wasn't aware that this was such a popular fishing mecca, I'll have to put it on my list of best places to buy a home and fish all day.:yesnod:

How goes the advertising? Any serious pilot prospects materialize yet? Curious why you don't post this on some fishing forums? There are a lot more fishermen than pilots. If a pilot would be enticed by the view of the runway, it stands to reason that a fisherman would be equally as enticed by the proximity to the water.

Does the perception of the affluence of the pilot vs. the fisherman have anything to do with the answer to the question? I guess I just don't believe the ONLY reason you targeted pilots is because of the runway view. Again it doesn't upset or offend me that you've listed your property here. I does me no harm. I was just hoping to learn something substantial about why you targeted your advertising toward aviators.

The advertising goes well, thanks for asking. This thread has had 1895 views which either means the visitors come for our dazzling exchanges or they might just be drawn to the speculation of owning this home. Of course i would like to think the latter but i suspect the former. Either way, Iam happy with the outcome. I have had a couple of serious investigations via this forum however i wouldn't like to comment much further than that on them, unsure if they like to also fish but the fishing on this area of the island is not so fruitful as other areas and so perhaps not such a hotspot for fishermen. There are plenty of bars around here so perhaps i should approach some burgeoning alcoholics as well however I dont think there are many forums for that....i might be wrong.

I just want to mention, i did not post this property on this website due to any ill perceived assumption about the affluence of aviation enthusiasts. I am not a person that generalizes, as i feel there is far too much of that in the world as there is.

The reason i posted it here is mainly due to the twisted logic inherited from my father; "a nice condo adjacent to a unique airport with a unique view, who would be interested in this?"
If the property had no roof the perhaps i would place it on an astronomy forum. My idea is simply to reach the widest audience possible for the sale of a property in a valid classifieds section of a website that is aimed at aviators or enthusiasts even fishermen with aeroplanes might want a piece as well but i wouldnt like to speculate about the affluence of a fisherman or fishing hobbyist...although I do watch the Deadliest Catch sometimes and some of the money they pull in on a good day is quite something.

Anyway, I digress. Fundamentally this is a great property, on a stunning Caribbean island, in immaculate condition with a very unique vista which may or may not be interesting to a person or persons who have or do not have the capital to invest in it.

As ever any questions let me know and i appreciate any comments.

Right im going fishing for the afternoon! :yesnod:

I wasn't aware that this was such a popular fishing mecca, I'll have to put it on my list of best places to buy a home and fish all day.:yesnod:

You are a wise man :wink2:
seaplane.jpg

2066 views on the forum but everyone has gone eerily quiet!

The wife and I got married on St. John's Trunk Bay with quite the crowd of friends and family in tow. Great islands, the VI. Love it there. Pretty humid but simply an awesome place. Speaking of fishing, myself and the guys in our trip did some of our own. Of the "deep sea" varietal and partied back at our mansion villa and cooked up all of our tuna and rainbow runners we caught. Tasty. Also did some snorkeling off of a full bar catamaran captained by a dude named Ocean. Fantastic time we all had. What's funny about this is we spent less on this than a nice big wedding here in CA. Anyhow, enough story time. Neat little condo there and that airport is among the most famous in the world so I can definitely see why one would post it here. Website owners may feel different I'm not sure but in any case, good luck and cheers :)

Bare with me just a little bit longer, I'm very busy playing the lottery every Saturday so that I can buy this condo from you. ;)

Good work sir...i m sure those numbers will come in for you this weekend and when they do i will be waiting on the apron!

4 8 12 28 34 41

The wife and I got married on St. John's Trunk Bay with quite the crowd of friends and family in tow. Great islands, the VI. Love it there. Pretty humid but simply an awesome place. Speaking of fishing, myself and the guys in our trip did some of our own. Of the "deep sea" varietal and partied back at our mansion villa and cooked up all of our tuna and rainbow runners we caught. Tasty. Also did some snorkeling off of a full bar catamaran captained by a dude named Ocean. Fantastic time we all had. What's funny about this is we spent less on this than a nice big wedding here in CA. Anyhow, enough story time. Neat little condo there and that airport is among the most famous in the world so I can definitely see why one would post it here. Website owners may feel different I'm not sure but in any case, good luck and cheers :)

Hi Thanks for the good wishes. USVI sound very nice indeed. Never been myself but being but being in SXM its a good spot for exploring the other island. We will be on ST Barts this weekend to see friends and then in Curacao for Easter with the in laws All the islands here really have their own identity so one Dutch island here is completley different to another and i would guess its the same for the USVI. They all offer a great time though....thats a constant. I think youre right about the wedding (congrats btw) You can fly everyone down pretty cheap ($400 is the cheapest i have seen) and take a ceremony on the beach and then to a swanky hotel of nice resturant, not as pricey as you would think for a caribbean wedding.

The fishing trip and munchies afterwards sounds awesome. I havent done any deep sea here but fully intend to. They have an international fishing competition here in June that heads out from the French side.

http://www.billfish-tournament.com/index.php

$100,000 top prize (fishing rod - check, beer - check, mortgage broker cell number - check)

By the way was your captains first name Billy? :wink2:

Thanks also for the validation for posting the ad on here. I have really had a super response and met some very funny and interesting people.

The condo is still on the market but i have had some local interest, a little from here and some elsewhere so all in all pretty positive. I was at the development yesterday with some people and it was packed so i can tell owners are making good cash on their condos. Youre right, the airport and view does make it pretty unique. The owner does want to sell as he is off soon to the states for the summer months but we shall see.

Thanks again for the comment....much appreciated.

OK folks thats the apartment off the market now until December. It will be back up for sale then however this thread will stay open.

As ever any questions.....fire away.

Many thanks

Tom

Back