Concussion

U

Unregistered

I suffered a minor concussion , if you can even call it that, about 6 months ago. When I went to the ER I told them I "may have lost conciousness for 5-10 seconds" however, my friend says after I fell I popped right back up. After the doctors did a CT scan, which came back fine, and a series of cognitive tests which also came back fine, they told me that they think why I didn't remember a few seconds was due to shock. When I fell I also broke my arm, which required pain meds. I took them for 3 days and flushed them because I didn't like how I was reacting to them. I'm going in for a 1st class medical Friday. I talked to the AME he told me to bring in all the data from the accident . On my form I answered yes on the question asking if you have ever lost conciousness, but in the comments described what I said above. The AME Said he may have to defer issuance until he talks to the FAA. I Currently have a 3rd class medical which is good for the next 2 yrs. if he does defer my first class, is my 3rd still good? The AME said that they will issue the first class but he needs to talk to the FAA about it first.

I believe that if he defers, your current medical is toast regardless of the duration.

If it's not too late, I would not go in for your medical until you hear from Dr. Bruce.

Let me add that after the accident I contacted the AME and told him my sistuation, I asked if I could keep flying and he told me to wait 3 days from the last time I took the pain killers and I should be ok

This is a definite Dr. Bruce question... Perhaps even contacting him directly off of forum.

The only bit of advice I'd offer is to cancel your "1st class" exam until you know with certainty that you're going to pass it with no problem.

Don't jeopardize your existing 3rd.

Bruce may have bad news for him. I had a "Wobbly 1" (Warrant Officer 1) pilot assigned to my unit at Fort Sill. He'd crashed a civilian chopper and lost conciousness for a few seconds. Both the FAA and the Army grounded him on the spot.

It took 2 years of doctor shuffling and paperwork before the FAA gave him a medical. The Army completely refused (and that ended his Army career).

Keeping my fingers crossed for you OP.

GET A LETTER from that friend RIGHT NOW that describes the incident and the "popping back up", esp the timeframe; get a copy of the CT scan....and GET IT TO THE AME.

Bring it to the AME with your exam or don't go for the exam, until you have it.
DO NOT GO without these documents!

Bruce may have bad news for him. I had a "Wobbly 1" (Warrant Officer 1) pilot assigned to my unit at Fort Sill. He'd crashed a civilian chopper and lost conciousness for a few seconds. Both the FAA and the Army grounded him on the spot.

It took 2 years of doctor shuffling and paperwork before the FAA gave him a medical. The Army completely refused (and that ended his Army career).

Keeping my fingers crossed for you OP.

I lose consciousness every night after reading these forums. It's called sleeping.

I don't understand the problem with LOC in trauma, assuming the follow on neuro eval is normal and there's no recurrence. Bruce, what am I missing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

and there's no way to test for it?

Well, it's micro hemorrhage. Until we can get CT resolution down that far, no.

But what we do see a year later is Siderosis (a consequence of blkood deposition) on the MRI and that correlates to epilepsy.....

So there is what is called the Traumatic Brain Injury Worksheet which rates TBI by time you were out (initial responder record/testimony is CRITICAL!), presence of blood on MRI/CT, any report of cognitive dysfunction, and presence of observed epileptic activity.

The EEG doesn't help. 20% of the population has slow delta waves that are thought to be epileptogenic. In fact I discourage the use of EEG in this situation. Just hangs guys.

Well, it's micro hemorrhage. Until we can get CT resolution down that far, no.

But what we do see a year later is Siderosis (a consequence of blkood deposition) on the MRI and that correlates to epilepsy.....

So there is what is called the Traumatic Brain Injury Worksheet which rates TBI by time you were out (initial responder record/testimony is CRITICAL!), presence of blood on MRI/CT, any report of cognitive dysfunction, and presence of observed epileptic activity.

The EEG doesn't help. 20% of the population has slow delta waves that are thought to be epileptogenic. In fact I discourage the use of EEG in this situation. Just hangs guys.

thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back