computer / voip headsets - recommendations?

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
My company has installed a 'softphone' feature on our laptops, so we can make and accept calls, etc. over the internet when we're working remotely and VPN'ed in. Many of my colleagues and I have noticed tha tthe call quality is less than desired, notably due to the 'stuttering/echoing effect' that often results, and that voices can sometimes cut in and out when people use them.

I'm sure that some of the issues relate to connection speeds, etc., but am wondering if the choice of headset has any impact? (there is a 'standard issue' headset distributed by the IT dept) If i thought it would help, I'd use my Zulu when vpn'ing, but would prefer something a little more lightweight and unobtrusive for this purpose - the Clarity Aloft headsets are the style I'm looking for, but I don't know if that's the optimal setup for this purpose - and they're a little pricey...

Any recommendations on 1) whether the model of headset makes a great deal of difference, and if so, 2) recommendations on brands?

Podcasters - what headsets do you use?

Thanks, Leslie

Headsets are good. Delays in VoIP and echo cancellers have to work overtime.

For the podcast I use a studio quality mic and a FireWire adapter with a regular Sony studio headset. ;)

For junk work conference calls I use a cheap USB "gamer" headset and no one has complained. It sounds better than the stupid cell phones anyway that everyone else is on. :)

Back